Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected

Go down 
5 posters

Best song?
1. Disconnected Part 1
Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Vote_lcap0%Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
2. One
Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Vote_lcap60%Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
3. So
Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Vote_lcap0%Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
4. Pieces of Me
 0% [ 0 ]
5. Something From Nothing
 0% [ 0 ]
6. Still Remains
Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Vote_lcap40%Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
7. Disconnected Part 2
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Empty
PostSubject: Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected   Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected D011b5e4aa

Recorded: February to April, 2000.
Released: July 25th, 2000.
Produced by: Fates Warning and Terry Brown (known for working with Rush).

Lineup:
Ray Alder - Vocals
Jim Matheos - Guitar
Mark Zonder - Drums
Joey Vera - Bass
Kevin Moore - Keyboards

The same lineup from A Pleasant Shade... returns for the next album, which is a logical step forward from the last. This one is a bit more dense, cold, and even a little sci-fi sounding. The atmosphere is more ambient, spacey, and has a bit more electronic presence than the last album. Kevin Moore's keyboards were definitely a great addition to the band's sound.
And every now and again, there is this great floating-sounding basswork from Joey Vera. Matheos' riffs are well written, tight, and angular. His tone is a tad heavier than it was on most of their 90s output, which adds a new dimension to the sound they'd already established during that decade. And Mark Zonder shows off why he's one of my absolute favorite drummers all over this album. His work behind the kit is phenomenal, making complex rhythms sound effortless and natural.

The lyrics deal with personal strife, emotions, and feelings of separation & disconnection from society and humanity. A theme present is wishing for a better future and feeling helpless to create a reality that surrounds one with the happiness and light-hearted joy that many seek. This darker, more personal Fates Warning is a great companion to the fantasy, mysticism, and witchcraft driven Fates of the 80s. The band kept progressing, both in terms of becoming more musically intricate, as well as growing intellectually and emotionally, as indicated by the lyrical maturation.

Choosing a favorite track on this one is tough, as they're all fantastic songs. "Still Remains" is a prog-metal epic, "One" is punchy, heavy and the most immediate song here, and "Something From Nothing" is full of rich textures and great melodies.

I'd probably go with "One" if I flipped a coin on it, as it was the song that got me into the album initially.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected   Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 9:36 pm

That is HILARIOUS!!!! One is the song that got me to get this album as well! This whole album is great!!!! Not a bad song on it. I was stoked when I found out Moore was going to be on this as I felt that he was a perfect fit for the sound Matheos was going for since Moore had moved away from the million-notes-a-minute style in DT to the more atmospheric and mood style playing(I guess you could call it cinematic) of his solo work.

I'm glad that they got together to form OSI where they took it a few steps further and without the baggage of being FW.

This is the prog metal direction that I prefer them in.

Last edited by chewie on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected   Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 10:33 pm

They really had great album covers. A Pleasant Shade of Grey and this one. I'd like them in poster form.

I listened to this album quite a bit waiting for this poll. I had to listen to "Something From Nothing" and "Still Remains" on YouTube as they weren't available on Spotify (too long, I guess). Anyway, I decided to go with One.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected   Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2016 2:39 am

Still Remains
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected   Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2016 5:04 am

Still Remains for me. One of my favourite Fates Warning tracks.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected   Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 11:44 am

When will the next poll be up?
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected   Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Oh yeah, it's been a while, hasn't it? I'll put it up as soon as possible. FWX is one of my favorite albums from them, and hopefully some more people around here have it and can weigh in on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected   Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best track on Fates Warning's Disconnected
Page 1 of 1