Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)

Go down 
+13
Wurthless
Required Fields
Temple of Blood
James B.
Thrasher73
the sentinel
MetallicSeminarian
BearOnUnicycle
MoonChild
Thelemech
Gilbert
DakotaRogers
17 posters

Favorite tune off Awaken the Guardian?
'The Sorceress'
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_lcap11%Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
'Valley of the Dolls'
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_lcap22%Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_rcap
 22% [ 4 ]
'Fata Morgana'
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_lcap6%Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
'Guardian'
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_lcap33%Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
'Prelude to Ruin'
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_lcap11%Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
'Giant's Lore (Heart of Winter)'
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_lcap6%Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
'Time Long Past' / 'Exodus'
 11% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Empty
PostSubject: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) 3409
The third and last Fates Warning album to feature original vocalist John Arch in the fold. Considered an all-time classic by many power/progressive metal fans worldwide, it truly left a big mark on Metal Blade Records' roster of bands.

In my opinion, Awaken the Guardian is a near-perfect album that is a notch down from the sheer brilliance of The Spectre Within, and only because the last couple of songs drift a little in the end. Nonetheless, there's not a bad song to be found. The first half and "Prelude to Ruin" are all guaranteed kills, and having to pick one of them among my favorites is difficult. "Guardian" has the best melodies of them all, but I really love the heaviness of "Valley of the Dolls", which I will be voting for. "The Sorceress" and "Fata Morgana" are all quite great, though.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 11:34 pm

"Valley of the Dolls" for me as well. Followed by "Guardian" and "Fata Morgana."
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 11:40 pm

Valley of the dolls.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 3:48 am

I hear about how great this album is all of the time, think it would be wise to acquire a copy soon.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 3:49 am

Valley of the Dolls
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 5:20 am

Heart of Winter.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 6:50 am

Exodus. Those melodies are phenomenal. 

The whole album is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 7:51 am

This album is perfect, and is my fave FW. I chose Guardian.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 7:59 am

This is my all time favorite FW album. Gotta go with Guardian. It just builds and builds into near perfection.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 8:07 am

Guardian
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 10:09 am

This is as hard as grandpa at the nursing home on visiting day when grannie brings that little purple pill.

I will go with "Guardian"

This was a great tour and I have always wondered if anything was documented from this era ?

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 10:33 am

James B. wrote:
This was a great tour and I have always wondered if anything was documented from this era ?

The reissue included a live DVD from around this time.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 11:28 am

I voted for Guardian.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 pm

The Sorceress is my favorite. But this album, like Spectre, is damn-near perfect. I'm listening to it right now and have already had chills sent down my spine two minutes in.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 1:26 pm

Wurthless wrote:
The Sorceress is my favorite. But this album, like Spectre, is damn-near perfect. I'm listening to it right now and have already had chills sent down my spine two minutes in.

And let's be honest, how many other bands can actually pull off the line "dancing with the banshee" and have it sound awesome?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
James B. wrote:

Thanks for the heads up

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 1:45 pm

James B. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
James B. wrote:

Thanks for the heads up

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

And let's be honest, how many other bands can actually pull off the line "dancing with the banshee" and have it sound awesome?

I love Arch's lyrics. They fit the sprawling, twisting, and maze-like music perfectly. Who wouldn't wanna dance with a banshee? \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 12:18 pm

I almost didn't vote because, after many listens, I could not find anything to grab on to. It just sounds like a long wail-fest. I'm interested in hearing a different singer with the next album. I did find a few moments I liked in "Exodus" so I voted for it.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I almost didn't vote because, after many listens, I could not find anything to grab on to. It just sounds like a long wail-fest. I'm interested in hearing a different singer with the next album. I did find a few moments I liked in "Exodus" so I voted for it.
As a fanboy of this band, I kind of forced myself to like Arch-fronted material before I actually started enjoying it. Shows how much I love Parallels lol. Took a lot of turns to start appreciating wail-fests though.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Prelude To Ruin

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 4:23 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Just a word of warning. You might like the vocals on the next album (No Exit) better, but the songs themselves aren't really much more accessible than those on Awaken the Guardian (although Silent Cries has a nice hook in the chorus). Don't give up on Fates even if No Exit is also not to your liking. I think Perfect Symmetry, Parallels, and Inside Out are more accessible (although not overly so by any means).
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 8:22 pm

Guardian. It's my favorite Fates Warning song ever.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 7:29 am

"Prelude To Ruin". I love that guitar riff at the 3:39 mark!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)   Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian (1986)
Page 1 of 1