Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains

Go down 
+8
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
7thSecond
Thrasher73
John Madden
Troublezone
Gilbert
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Empty
PostSubject: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 11:36 am

http://loudwire.com/florida-police-officer-fired-singing-vital-remains-onstage/

That is just messed up. Of all the things a police officer can get fired over, he gets fired for performing onstage with a death metal band? This is just wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 11:52 am

With everything the cops do these days being criticized, firing seems a little harsh. A suspension probably could have got the message through just as effective.

However, going up on stage in full uniform and singing a song called 'Dechristianize' and yelling "Let the killing begin" probably wasn't the best idea. Do that stuff on your own time, not while on-duty, ya dummy. That's just common sense, which unfortunately isn't used much anymore apparently.

EDIT: The Loudwire link left out this little nugget of info...

Quote :
Back in 2012, the Sanford Police Department's handling of the much-publicized Trayvon Martin case showed a series of missteps and was criticized by Martin's family as bungling and biased, according to The New York Times.

This cop was a member of the Sanford Police Dept. so the firing seems slightly more justified. That police department doesn't need anymore bad publicity. Harsh maybe, but I can see their point.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 11:56 am

Wearing your uniform you are representing your employer and if they don't agree with the activity you are dragging them into they will fire your ass. As MG said, it "should" be common sense, but that's a laugh in this world we're living in now. I think the term needs to be changed to "uncommon sense" because it's so f*cking rare.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Hmmm, more details start to creep out and more questions arise...

Quote :
Ricks worked for Apopka Police Department for six months before resigning in 2009 and getting hired by the Sanford Police Department in January 2010.

Quote :
The Sanford Police Department says Ricks submitted a letter of resignation on October 30, with a pending separation date of November 20.

Why was he resigning again so soon? I guess if he knew he was on the way out anyway, why not sing a little death metal? Weird.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 1:19 pm

it was so stupid from him. too bad he lost his job.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 pm

It was a bad decision for him to sing a violent/satanic song on stage while on duty. Somehow, I don't think the dude would've been fired if he sang something a bit less controversial like "Living After Midnight".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 10:45 pm

I don't think the lyrical content had anything to do with it. He shouldn't have climbed onstage wearing his uniform to perform with a band. I think the outcome would have been the same regardless of what the group was singing about.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 11:13 pm

he should have sticked to his donuts.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 12:17 am

S.D. wrote:
I don't think the lyrical content had anything to do with it.  He shouldn't have climbed onstage wearing his uniform to perform with a band.  I think the outcome would have been the same regardless of what the group was singing about.  

I think it did (to an extent). I mean, a lot of people might feel uneasy around a cop that is into lyrics of a hateful ideology. It's not always the case, but sometimes it could be a red flag.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 12:29 am

Some think it's no big deal to sing a song about killing Christ or Christians, but if this guy was singing lyrics about lynching blacks or gassing Jews, I'm sure the support for this cop would be next to zero (and rightfully so) but the tolerance is obviously subjective.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 1:22 am

Troublezone wrote:
Some think it's no big deal to sing a song about killing Christ or Christians but if this guy was singing lyrics about lynching blacks or gassing Jews, I'm sure the support for this cop would be next to zero (and rightfully so) but the tolerance is obviously subjective.

so to some, it is ok to kill christians, but not blacks or jews? weird.. christians are no longer seen as humans...
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 8:48 am

S.D. wrote:
Wearing your uniform you are representing your employer and if they don't agree with the activity you are dragging them into they will fire your ass.  As MG said, it "should" be common sense, but that's a laugh in this world we're living in now.  I think the term needs to be changed to "uncommon sense" because it's so f*cking rare.  

I agree that it was not in good taste, but firing seems to be a bit excessive.Scary Orwellian world we live in. This wouldn't have never made the news 20 years ago. Everyone is a little snitch now.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 10:19 am

This reminds me of another cop who got on stage with a Death metal band

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Troublezone wrote:
It was a bad decision for him to sing a violent/satanic song on stage while on duty. Somehow, I don't think the dude would've been fired if he sang something a bit less controversial like "Living After Midnight".

Yea I think the band/song had some impact on the firing. Given the current situation with the police in general, that police department in particular, the officer's resignation and then the incident itself, it was the perfect storm for his firing. If he was only suspended, it just would've added fuel to the fire.

Perhaps if he had jumped up on stage with a Poison tribute band, singing 'Nothing But a Good Time', the video could have been spun into a more positive light. "See, cops aren't all bad. They like to have fun too!"

This was just a bad situation all around. Not saying that it's right or wrong, but I can see why it ended up the way it did.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 7:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Yea I think the band/song had some impact on the firing. Given the current situation with the police in general, that police department in particular, the officer's resignation and then the incident itself, it was the perfect storm for his firing. If he was only suspended, it just would've added fuel to the fire.

Perhaps if he had jumped up on stage with a Poison tribute band, singing 'Nothing But a Good Time', the video could have been spun into a more positive light. "See, cops aren't all bad. They like to have fun too!"

This was just a bad situation all around. Not saying that it's right or wrong, but I can see why it ended up the way it did.

It's all about public relations and this guy was unprofessional. On a side note... The guy that killed Dimebag was once a guy in uniform too (military). I think that sometimes we need to take into account the behavior of people no matter what profession they are in. Cops are already on thin ice regarding public relations.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 10:45 pm

This was obviously because of him wearing his uniform and the lyrics of the song. It doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to see that. scratch
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 am

What a pile of bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 12:15 am

I hate pigs. But this one did absolutely nothing wrong. Especially to get axed. He was on stage for three seconds. SO WHAT? You guys are super high to think this was a fire-able offence.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 12:39 am

Would you want to see your kid's principal singing along to Deicide? Oh wait... Nevermind! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 12:43 am

Yeah... Nothing like a "pig" singing about slaughtering Christians while working on the tax payers dime.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 10:41 am

wasn't iced earth's former frontman a cop or something like that?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 12:05 pm

Gilbert wrote:

Yeah, Matt Barlow. I think he actually left Iced Earth to pursue that career. And i'm sure he did his music endeavors on the side with his spare time (not on duty with his cop clothes). Razz
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Gilbert wrote:

Yes. I brought him up when I was talking about the cop at the Vital Remains show to the clerk at a store I almost always visit over the weekend.

Last edited by Required Fields on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 7:48 pm

John Madden wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Wearing your uniform you are representing your employer and if they don't agree with the activity you are dragging them into they will fire your ass.  As MG said, it "should" be common sense, but that's a laugh in this world we're living in now.  I think the term needs to be changed to "uncommon sense" because it's so f*cking rare.  

I agree that it was not in good taste, but firing seems to be a bit excessive.Scary Orwellian world we live in. This wouldn't have never made the news 20 years ago. Everyone is a little snitch now.

Don't cops usually rely on little snitches? My two cents is that when you have a responsible job and you are a public servant in a position of trust, you should behave accordingly, particularly when in uniform. Not very metal but true all the same.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 10:04 pm

If he hadn't been wearing his uniform no one would have cared. But with all the police troubles that have been happening it's not hard to see why he got axed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains   Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Policeman loses job after performing live with Vital Remains
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next