Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands Performing with Orchestras

Go down 
+6
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
ghost
Lurideath
mc666
MetalGuy71
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Bands Performing with Orchestras Empty
PostSubject: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Over the years, hard rock/metal bands have performed live with a full symphony orchestra backing them, with mixed results.

Who did it the best? Who was bad? And who's performance was just pointless?

Is this a trend you would like to see continue? If so, who would you like to see perform with an orchestra?

Or is it simply too much?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 8:29 pm

Rage is one of the best bands to ever use the orchestra on a metal CD. I even think Metallica did it well on S&M. I hated, however, that they got so much credit for being "the first metal band to ever release an orchestral metal album." Pffft!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 11:31 pm

Doro did a fantastic job. hers was probably my fave.

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 12:21 am

Well I thought Metallica's one was horrendous. Just complete garbage all around.

I thought the Scorpions one was interesting and had some cool moments.

This is not something I would like to see continue. Its all pointless to me!
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 2:50 am

Lurideath wrote:

I agree to this. I don’t like such albums and I don’t buy them. The only one of such releases that I bought many years ago was the LP Concerto For Group And Orchestra from Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 2:51 am

I thought the Rage CD was fantastic, great choice of songs. But I think that CD showed that you just can't get a very tight sound with a full orchestra. After that they started using the "Lingua Mortis" orchestra or whatever, which was either a smaller chamber orchestra, or probabley sythesized. Anybody know?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 8:17 am

Lurideath wrote:

yeah that's my general feeling on the subject. i see it as a trend, much like acoustic albums, & albums of cover songs.

there are of course a few exceptions though.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 8:44 am

Rage was great IMO.

I liked the Metallica disc. Sure, it wasn't great, but it has it's moments.

I like the Kiss Symphony discs quite a bit. I think the only thing that really held it back was that Ace wasn't a part of the show. Otherwise, the recording is great and the song with the orchestra are fantastic. Many of those old "Destroyer" songs lend themselves well to this format.

I've yet to hear the Scorpions.

Aerosmith did an incredible version of "Dream On" with an orchestra.

Of course, Deep Purple were probably one of the first bands to do this back in the 1970's.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 9:46 am

Rage's "XIII" disc was my introduction to that band, and to this day I think it's the best example of mixing metal with an orchestra.

Like Eyesore said, I was a little annoyed when Metallica started getting all the credit for coming up with the "Orchestral Metal" idea, when those of us "in the know" were well aware that Rage were doing it before them, and better.

Besides, Rage's symphonic stuff was all original material, whereas Metallica's S&M album was all "covers" of their own stuff with the orchestra added.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 10:36 am

I have had very little exposure to bands doing this sort of thing, but from the little I've heard, I can honestly say it doesn't do anything for me. I thought the Aerosmith "Dream On" version was kinda cool, but I hated the Metallica album. It seemed pointless. Metallica as a four-piece band is very powerful. A full symphony orchestra is also very powerful. Put the 2 together and it's just a mess.

By the way, I was watching VH1 Classic Albums Deep Purple's "Machine Head" and they talked about their orchestral album, which got me thinking about this topic.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 2:59 pm

I liked what Believer did.

I also generally really like violin and cello, and would not mind hearing them incorporated any time a band can pull it off without going all goth or st00pid.

ack
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 7:05 pm

I looked at the credits on Rage "Ghosts", which says on the sticker "with Lingua Mortis Orchestra sounds". But there are only keyboards, synths, listed on the credits. As I said the Rage with Prague orchestra was excellent, but the sound is boomy, echoey, and somewhat ponderous despite the quality of the material. I think it's best to do as many bands have done, just use a small array of classical instruments in studio and get the tighter sound. And yeah, it did tick me off too to see Metallica get so much pub for doing the orchestral, when I knew Rage had already done it and done it better.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2007 2:57 am

I forgot all about Aerosmith's Dream On orchestrated version. That was a great song. And even though I DESPISE GnR... the November Rain orchestrations were pretty cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2007 10:12 am

I think these bands are trying for a new demographic - possibly trying to squeeze dollars from the 45-65 yr olds.

I'm kidding of course, but I can't stand any of that stuff. It's
not metal and it never will be. I am completely content with
guitar/bass/drums/vox and will continue to be closed-minded about
it. With that said, I did listen to Doro - Classic Diamonds a few
days ago, and she does a killer job! Really enjoyed her version
of "Breakin' the Law".
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2007 11:31 am

I like what Believer did with the Orchestration,but for the most part I dont care much for it.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2007 11:30 am

well.... the only one i can think of is the one that metallica did.

it is a goood album but i only feel the pre and after black album material works with the orchestra very well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands Performing with Orchestras   Bands Performing with Orchestras Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands Performing with Orchestras
Page 1 of 1