Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re-Exploring Jugulator

Go down 
+14
Runicen
Eyesore
Thelemech
manny
Shawn Of Fire
DallasBlack
John Madden
Fat Freddy
Lari
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
Lurideath
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 4:13 pm

The idea of pandering to a younger audience kind of hinges on knowing for a fact that the Priest guys weren't genuinely pissed off by the PMRC and other groups that seemed to think teenagers were too soft in the head to handle... well, pretty much anything dicier than Yanni when it came to music.

Really, there's no way of knowing one way or the other, but I suspect it pissed them off. They certainly weren't alone in that.

I gave the Ripper-era albums a spin again today and I have to say, I find more to like in Demolition than Jugulator, but neither is half as bad as they're made out to be. I can definitely see where people look at Demolition and see a band jumping on a bandwagon simply because it doesn't sound like Priest doing what was popular at the time, it sounds like any of the various also-rans of that era putting out an ok album. At least Turbo still sounds like Priest.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
The Ripper-era was mediocre as a whole, with Priest fumbling about trying desperately to sound relevant to the "kids" - from the downtuned, aggro tunes on Jugulator to the Nu-Metal bufoonery of Demolition.  At least we got two really good live albums out of the whole mess.  So we've got that going for us.
They really did go further down south on that one. It dragged on for too long, and I've even napped a few times to it. That's how "inspired" it was.

There were plenty of good heavy metal albums coming out at that time. They just fell under the radar. Here's one:

wow! Syris are awesome. Need to look'em up. Thanks for posting the video.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 4:55 pm

If someone listens to Jugulator and thinks they are copying PANTERA, SLAYER, or FEAR FACTORY exactly, then they are not really playing close attention to any of the aforementioned bands.

I don't see it as any different than being inspired by 70s bands and doing your own spin on their style.  Of course they had some originality and creativity thrown into the mix.  They never cloned any band down to the last detail.

Jugulator was JP's own spin on 90s metal.  With all due respect to Marshall Law, I don't think there is another album like it.

The production of Demolition was wretched BTW.  Probably their worst next to Sin after Sin.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 3:20 pm

^ That. And I want to add, it's a top 3 JP album for me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 5:30 am

Cathedral Spires is a good song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-Exploring Jugulator
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3