Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - Jugulator

Go down 
+27
TH Joe
DeathCult
Alaskan Metalhead
stormspell
scottmitchell74
bgast1
Lionheartâ„¢
MetalGuy71
sheets
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
Rex
INVADERS
MEGATRON
MetalRob331
Cliffy
mc666
manny
HamburgerBoy
Ben Grimm
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
ZetaReticuli
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
Zdan
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

Judas Priest - Jugulator Empty
PostSubject: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:16 pm

And getting down to the bones of the topic - how do you feel about this controversial album in Priest's discography?

Basicly it's an album that has the fanbase totally divided - some people hate it - other love it. Tim "Ripper" Owens is often a big part of that - being called a Halford rip-off and whatnot.

Me personally - I love it. It's probably the darkest, most apocalyptic recording Priest has ever made and one of the heaviest to boot. It has that modern metal flair (ala early Machine Head or Pantera) but it is coupled with Priest-like riffing and overall speed metal flair. I love Owens to boot - I thinks performance is menacing and very powerful - and his voice is well suited for both mid-tempo tracks and speed metal killers.

My personal highlights include - Burn In Hell, Bullet Train, Jugulator, Cathedral Spires, Blood Stained and Death Row. Wish Priest would include some of those songs in the setlist.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:29 pm

It's certainly not one of my fave JP albums, but I spin it every now and again. I don't mind the newer Metal sound and I agree that Owens sounds great on the album. It just seems to me they kept trying to rewrite Painkiller (the song) over and over again; so the album gets old pretty quick. I think the last 2 JP albums are far superior (and get a lot more spin time from me) to both Jugulator and Demolition. Fave tracks: Blood Stained, Burn In Hell, Bullet Train, and the awesome Cathedral Spires. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:32 pm

I dig it. It isn't Rob Halford, but then Rob himself wasn't really Rob Halford in 1997 so Ripper was the next best thing. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:42 pm

The best thing Priest ever did next to Painkiller. Just 'cause it's under the Judas Priest name doesn't make it bad. It's an awesome and very powerful album.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I dig it. It isn't Rob Halford, but then Rob himself wasn't really Rob Halford in 1997 so Ripper was the next best thing. Laughing

Very good point, FF. Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:48 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:
The best thing Priest ever did next to Painkiller.
That's your opinion and that's cool. Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_biggrin

Just 'cause it's under the Judas Priest name doesn't make it bad.
No. But, because of that name, it's held to a higher standard. I agree that;s not fair, but it's just the way the music biz works.

It's an awesome and very powerful album.

Agreed. That's why I take it into the basement w/ me to hit the iron.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:49 pm

the sentinel wrote:
It's certainly not one of my fave JP albums, but I spin it every now and again. I don't mind the newer Metal sound and I agree that Owens sounds great on the album. It just seems to me they kept trying to rewrite Painkiller (the song) over and over again; so the album gets old pretty quick. I think the last 2 JP albums are far superior (and get a lot more spin time from me) to both Jugulator and Demolition. Fave tracks: Blood Stained, Burn In Hell, Bullet Train, and the awesome Cathedral Spires. Peace.

I don't think that Jugulator (the album) is a Painkiller-like album. That is Primal Fear's job Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_biggrin That said it is less based on melody and guitar interplay and more on sheer intensity and heaviness so you do have a point there Sentinel.

Also Freddy nailed it on the head I think.

What I do find this album similar to is the Fight debut "War Of Words". Kinda similar more thrash-based modern style going on in both albums and there are similiarities sonically.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Jugulator is a great release. First time I heard it,I was blown away.Each song is powerfully written and Owens sounds fantastic.Cathedral Spires is probably my favorite track.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:06 pm

I love that Fight album and it's not a Halford v. Ripper thing, it just sounds more straight ahead "classic" Metal to my ears. Good comparison, Zdan.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:17 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I love that Fight album and it's not a Halford v. Ripper thing, it just sounds more straight ahead "classic" Metal to my ears. Good comparison, Zdan.

Funny part is that if you listen to that Fight album it has more of those midpaced modern metal crushers whereas Jugulator is filled with speed metal killers. But the sound and production of that Fight album is really more classic metal true.

Also would like to see some songs from the Ripper era done by Halford and Priest? I would love Cathedral Spires, Burn In Hell and say Bullet Train.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Zdan wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Funny part is that if you listen to that Fight album it has more of those midpaced modern metal crushers whereas Jugulator is filled with speed metal killers. But the sound and production of that Fight album is really more classic metal true. [/qoute]

It is exactly that. I remember the first time i heard it, back in '93? and thought, "this sounds like something from '85." Very stripped and crunchy.

Also would like to see some songs from the Ripper era done by Halford and Priest? I would love Cathedral Spires, Burn In Hell and say Bullet Train.[/quote]

Agreed! Maybe next tour. Summer of 2011 or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:31 pm

That would be great. Only problem is that Halford probably sees the Ripper-era as non-existant and non-Priest. Sucks because at least Jugulator was fine, vicious metal release.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:11 pm

I like it a lot. Love Cathedral Spires and Bullet Train.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:14 pm

I love those two songs as well. I *like* a few others...'Burn in Hell'..'Abductors'..title track. The rest, who cares.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:15 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I like it a lot. Love Cathedral Spires and Bullet Train.

Cool to hear that. Your opinion on Ripper on that disc and in Priest in general? Also noticed you like "Burn In Hell" - my total favourite from this disc.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I am a big Ripper fan and I would say of the Ripper era Priest albums that this is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Priest rules!

Ripper is great! I liked him in Priest, I like him with Ynqwie, I like him with his solo band.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Priest rules!

Ripper is great! I liked him in Priest, I like him with Ynqwie, I like him with his solo band.

He is good with Yngwie? I gotta hear that disc then.

As far as Jugulator goes I kinda wish the kept that guitar sound for say "Angel Of Retribution". That razor-sharp, heavy guitar sound would do that album well I think.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:22 pm

I'd love to hear Halford singing Cathedral Spires and Bullet Train.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:26 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'd love to hear Halford singing Cathedral Spires and Bullet Train.

Me too. Add "Burn In Hell" to that and I would be totally happy. They need to shake up the set list a bit anyway so might as well do this.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:59 pm

the best song is Blood Stained Judas Priest - Jugulator 11840
Back to top Go down
HamburgerBoy
Metal novice
Metal novice
HamburgerBoy

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:24 pm

It's pure camp from the lyrics to vocal delivery to the samples, but it's still fun. There are a lot of albums that perform the same task better though, so I really can't call it any better than ok.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:34 pm

I like the album but it is one of my least favorite Judas Priest albums, Ripper Owens does a great job and the songs are some of the heaviest of Judas Priest's career but not an album I reach for very often.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:22 pm

i don't care for this album. same for Demolition. i did enjoy hearing Owens live with Priest though.

Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:25 pm

The only real Priest albums have Halford singing...period.

The only good album Ripper has made thus far is The Glorious Burden with Iced Earth and it's an unbelievably good album.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - Jugulator
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next