Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re-Exploring Jugulator

Go down 
+14
Runicen
Eyesore
Thelemech
manny
Shawn Of Fire
DallasBlack
John Madden
Fat Freddy
Lari
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
Lurideath
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:09 pm

The latest Priest album is the first one that had songs I really liked since Defenders Of The Faith, so I guess in my opinion something went "right" on that album.

...but the production sucks.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Priest fumbling about trying desperately to sound relevant to the "kids"

They did that their whole career, until they were forced to reunite with Halford to remain "relevant" i.e profitable.

Quote :
At least we got two really good live albums out of the whole mess.  So we've got that going for us.

I didn't think either live album was that great, except for "Diamonds and Rust" and "Metal Meltdown" which obviously sound re-recorded in the studio to me.  I think that Epitaph DVD they did with Halford sounds MUCH better.

Their whole career they were trying to sound relevant to the kids? Even in the 70s? Who were they aping on Sad Wings, Sin After Sin and Stained Class?

Ripper sounds great on both of those live albums.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Their whole career they were trying to sound relevant to the kids?  Even in the 70s? Who were they aping on Sad Wings, Sin After Sin and Stained Class?

Absolutely.

Uh, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Queen, etc.

They weren't trying to play 50s rock n roll.  They always tried to play something akin to what they thought the current scene was until this 2004 reunion which produced their first retro album.

I was wrong before when I said this new one was the first one I had to force myself to listen to. Demolition was the same way but I had a more favorable impression of it than I do RoS.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:42 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Their whole career they were trying to sound relevant to the kids?  Even in the 70s? Who were they aping on Sad Wings, Sin After Sin and Stained Class?

Absolutely.

They weren't trying to play 50s rock n roll.  They always tried to play something akin to what they thought the current scene was until this 2004 reunion which produced their first retro album.

Rocka-Rolla sounded like some other artists at the time, but I don't think the subsequent 70s albums sounded anything like the artists you mentioned. I agree that Priest in the 80s and 90s were following rather than leading, but I completely disagree that they were doing that in the 70s.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:51 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Absolutely.

Rocka-Rolla sounded like some other artists at the time, but I don't think the subsequent 70s albums sounded anything like the artists you mentioned.  I agree that Priest in the 80s and 90s were following rather than leading, but I completely disagree that they were doing that in the 70s.  

I seriously disagree that British Steel and/or Screaming were following any trend. Those were TRENDSETTING albums - not just in sound, but in look and attitude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Sad Wings has moments that you can clearly hear the influence of other artists. The intro to Island of Domination sounds like Queen. You can hear elements of Sabbath, Purple and the other bands TOB mentioned. Priest had their own unique spin on things, but they didn't just magically appear out of the aether fully formed without ever being influenced by anyone.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:56 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Absolutely.

Rocka-Rolla sounded like some other artists at the time, but I don't think the subsequent 70s albums sounded anything like the artists you mentioned.  I agree that Priest in the 80s and 90s were following rather than leading, but I completely disagree that they were doing that in the 70s.  

I seriously disagree that British Steel and/or Screaming were following any trend.  Those were TRENDSETTING albums - not just in sound, but in look and attitude.

I think they reflected the burgeoning NWOBHM movement. Although, it's a real question whether British Steel was influenced by that movement or actually influenced the NWOBHM. Screaming was a quick course correction from the commercial/critical failure of Point of Entry. Not that any of this really matters. I don't require my bands to be innovative, I just require that the songs are good. British Steel and Screaming are two of the best metal albums of all time. Period.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
Sad Wings has moments that you can clearly hear the influence of other artists.  The intro to Island of Domination sounds like Queen.  You can hear elements of Sabbath, Purple and the other bands TOB mentioned.  Priest had their own unique spin on things, but they didn't just magically appear out of the aether fully formed without ever being influenced by anyone.

TOB is arguing that Priest always was following other bands. That's clearly not true. Obviously Priest had influences, what band doesn't?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 7:03 pm

I think Priest fully discovered their sound on Stained Class and didn't sound like anybody but themselves thru at least Screaming For Vengeance (or possibly Defenders). Turbo was the beginning of their bandwagon jumping.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 7:07 pm

S.D. wrote:
I think Priest fully discovered their sound on Stained Class and didn't sound like anybody but themselves thru at least Screaming For Vengeance (or possibly Defenders).  Turbo was the beginning of their bandwagon jumping.  

Sounds reasonable to me.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 7:14 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I think Priest fully discovered their sound on Stained Class and didn't sound like anybody but themselves thru at least Screaming For Vengeance (or possibly Defenders).  Turbo was the beginning of their bandwagon jumping.  

Sounds reasonable to me.

I am on board with dat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Stained Class is pretty much the only Judas Priest album that I still want to listen to these days, and it's an album that still keeps me on my feet throughout. Not that I dislike the other albums, but a lot of them have lost a bit of my enthusiasm over time. Painkiller is their last classic for me.

I also agree with Witchfinder that they were following other bands by 1980.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 8:02 pm

Only have heard Jugulator once the whole way through - and that was a task unto itself I found.
No desire to hear it again to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Jugulator is a great album. I've never understood the hate. It's not perfect, but overall it's a damn fine album. Its worst moments are "Decapitate," "Abductors," and "Brain Dead," and those are pretty bad. But the rest? They kick all kinds of ass!

Demolition is a really good album. It's got a more duds, but it also doesn't deserve the hate it receives. The production/mix is weak as hell, though. Personally, I think that's it's worst quality. Either way, there are a some excellent tunes on this one. "Machine Man," "One On One," "Bloodsuckers," "Feed On Me," "Subterfuge"—all killer!

And I've said somewhere else on this forum, I think "What's My Name?" from the bonus disc is equally as great. It's the only song Owens penned alone while in Priest. That was released, anyway. There might be others.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Oh, and both Fight albums are fantastic. Vastly different from each other, but equally good.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 5:32 am

"Feed on Me" from Demolition is awesome
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 9:04 am

Is it really fair to say that ANY band from the 70s or 80s was really jumping bandwagons? Hear me out on this one - I'd put out there that a LOT of these bands were hanging out together and listening to the same stuff. If a new toy came out, wouldn't you want to play with it?

Watch a documentary on the prog scene in the 60s and 70s - most of those bands (whom few would accuse of copying or jumping on bandwagons) were listening to what the others were doing and usually had a, "We could do that better/too" moment and gave their own spin.

Granted, in metal, the range of influences and modifications allowed wasn't as great, but I think my point still stands. Yeah, you could say Priest was jumping bandwagons with Turbo, but what if they genuinely wanted to do something with synths as Halford claims these days and that's how it came out? I mean, can you release "British Steel" over and over again without getting bored? I know I couldn't.
Back to top Go down
IvanDragon
Metal novice
Metal novice
IvanDragon

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 10:05 am

I remember buying this back on 97 (and watch them live).
I always liked the álbum... great tracks Jugulator, bullet train, Deadmeat or Deathrow, Burn in Hell all great tracks!

It sounds different of Classic JP, but JP always made this changes along the career.
A great one for me...

The next one... I really hated!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hardnheavymetalhitsradio.com

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 11:28 am

Runicen wrote:
Yeah, you could say Priest was jumping bandwagons with Turbo, but what if they genuinely wanted to do something with synths as Halford claims these days and that's how it came out?  I mean, can you release "British Steel" over and over again without getting bored?  I know I couldn't.

The synths really aren't the main problem, it's the dumbed-down songwriting. Parental Guidance? Seriously? It sounds like they said "we need to ensure we get 13 year olds to love this album...let's play it stupid so the dumbass American teens will like us".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 11:35 am

Quote :
Parental Guidance? Seriously?

My brother and I were just joking about that song yesterday. "We don't need no, no no no Parental Guidance here".... of course you don't Rob, because you were in your mid 30s' when you wrote it! Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 11:57 am

"Devil's Child" was an ACDC ripoff.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 1:02 pm

Well Parental Guidance was sort of an ant5hem to me. What I was going through in my teen years involving my dad and ex-whore bitch step-mother!

So to say its dumbed down may be true, but it spoke volumes!

The live albums/DVD's with Tim Owens were real good but the albums he sang on both suck equally. Both albums had a few good songs but the majority was weak.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 1:26 pm

There's no difference between "Parental Guidance" and "Living After Midnight".

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Living After Midnight is pretty weak as well. Nothing on Turbo is as good as The Rage, Steeler, You Don't Have To Be Old (To Be Wise), Grinder, Metal Gods, Rapid Fire, etc.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 2:53 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
There's no difference between "Parental Guidance" and "Living After Midnight".

12 year old target audience vs. 16 year old
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-Exploring Jugulator   Re-Exploring Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-Exploring Jugulator
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next