Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Operation Mindcrime: The Key

Go down 
+15
manny
exact33
glassprison
Citanul
James B.
Runicen
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
Boris2008
Eyesore
Chairman_Smith
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
You think it's great because you focus 95% on the vocals.  That's why you don't appreciate how good the backing music became on much of their later material.  Pretty much all you talk about is vocals.  Be honest with yourself.

Fact is, the vocals made that song.  Put a mediocre singer on it and no one would care about it.
The whole reason why I posted that song in the first place wasn't about the song itself, but to reflect back on what Geoff Tate used to sound like as a vocalist.

You don't care for the instrumentals that much, and that's fine. I like that you act as if you know me personally to assume that all I care about are the vocals. Laughing

At this point, we're only arguing semantics, so it's not necessary to keep dragging this on.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 6:48 pm

No one ever said Tate's vocals didn't make those songs better, but without the music Tate doesn't exist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 7:58 pm

Eyesore wrote:
No one ever said Tate's vocals didn't make those songs better, but without the music Tate doesn't exist.
surprised
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Quote :
without the music Tate doesn't exist.

I suspect the opposite will be the case with this project. The way he's talking about this trilogy in interviews it sounds more like a book deal than a record deal.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

surprised

Not literally. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:34 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Ugh. Disappointing. That first track is just more of the same boring crap he's been doing for years now. It even sounds familiar. The second song is a lot better, at least the chorus. I dig the chorus quite a bit. The other two songs are more of the same like the first. Just all kinds of meh. =(

I will say, despite sounding very similar to what he's been doing, it is a bit more creative musically. Not much, though.

Shame, really, because there are far too many talented songwriters working for Frontiers. This album should have been amazing.

This just showed up in my Facebook feed, so I listened a few more times. Gonna eat my words a bit here. The second sounds like it could be a really great tune. The first still doesn't do anything for me, but I thought the last two sounded much better this time.

Curious to know who's singing the verse on the third clip.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 10:05 am

I'm hoping this isn't the "buddy comedy" phenomenon at work when all is said and done.

You know - whenever there's an odd couple-style comedy movie coming out, the trailer looks great and like the movie will be a laugh riot of jokes galore and then you see the full movie and realize all the best bits were in the trailer and the rest of the movie stinks like hog ass.

When it comes to Tate, I can forgive a litany of sins (though I will probably never go out of my way to meet the guy or see him live since he sounds like a super deluxe knob as a human being) IF he's putting out interesting music and doing interesting things with his instrument - his voice. Even for the limitations in his range, I've heard him do interesting things melodically and texturally with his voice.

Promised Land wasn't exactly a vocal powerhouse album, BUT what it did bring was memorable and interesting. Q2K, Tribe and even his first solo album all had great melodic moments in the vocal department. After that, the music got so dull that it was like giving a $20k guitar to a ten year old. Yeah, maybe the kid would be able to do SOMETHING with it, but it was just about guaranteed to never be used anywhere near its potential. That's Tate's voice and, at least from these clips, it sounds like someone in the "apparatus" is pushing him to use his instrument in interesting ways again.

I'm also not entirely convinced that some cleaner living and vocal exercises might not bring back the mighty pipes. Maybe not to a 20 year-old level, but a hell of a lot closer than what he's been turning out lately. So much of Tate's voice was down to almost operatic resonance that I think he could get that aspect back up and running instead of sounding like a phlematic bear that just smoked a carton and tried to run a triathalon...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am

Runicen wrote:
   So much of Tate's voice was down to almost operatic resonance that I think he could get that aspect back up and running instead of sounding like a phlematic bear that just smoked a carton and tried to run a triathalon...

I've never heard a phlematic bear that has just smoked a carton and tried to run a triathlon, but i aim to remedy that!

To YouTube I go!!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Runicen wrote:
   So much of Tate's voice was down to almost operatic resonance that I think he could get that aspect back up and running instead of sounding like a phlematic bear that just smoked a carton and tried to run a triathalon...

I've never heard a phlematic bear that has just smoked a carton and tried to run a triathlon, but i aim to remedy that!

To YouTube I go!!  Very Happy

...You're totally going to end up in THAT part of the internet...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 pm

ill give it a listen when it comes out. Not expecting much though by the samples.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Its not bad, but then I actually liked 'Frequency Unknown', and did not feel it was the shitfest everybody else made out to be
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 8:08 am

manny wrote:
Its not bad, but then I actually liked 'Frequency Unknown', and did not feel it was the shitfest everybody else made out to be

It wasn't. There were moments on FU that sounded more like actual Queensryche than anything on Todd-Ryche.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 9:38 am

The real pain in the ass about FU is that, if you crossed its best moments with the best moments of the Todd-ryche album, you'd have what everyone WANTED QR to put out for the last decade or so.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 10:01 am

Runicen wrote:
The real pain in the ass about FU is that, if you crossed its best moments with the best moments of the Todd-ryche album, you'd have what everyone WANTED QR to put out for the last decade or so.

I can see that.

AND, when I was listening to Todd-Ryche I thought to myself that there was very little on there that Tate could not have sung in his current voice...so that makes me think it was just a control thing with him.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 10:46 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Runicen wrote:

I can see that.

I can see that too.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 11:37 am

Geoff Tate - LOL - what a goofball.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 pm

Up until that Tribble started nesting on his head, I would have corrected you to "cueball."
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Runicen wrote:
Up until that Tribble started nesting on his head, I would have corrected you to "cueball."

lol! I dont get his 'image' at all. He just looks goofy.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 4:34 pm

exact33 wrote:
Runicen wrote:

Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Bert-unibrow
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 4:54 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Geoff Tate - LOL - what a goofball.

That boy is nuttier than a wagonload of pralines.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Runicen wrote:

Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Bert-unibrow

i think Bert is the better dressed.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Samples are terrible - sounds like the same crap he has been putting out for years. Crap music, forgettable vocals with poor melodies. The man obviously has a serious narcissistic personality disorder the gets worse every year and by the sound of those samples has surrounded himself with enablers and doesn't push himself to excellence. Hell, the guy hasn't even push himself to mediocrity since Promised Land.... which was probably DeGarmo pushing him anyway.

I loved the S/T 2013 release - the mastering and mix needed some work, would have been a big seller if released back in the day. Looking forward to the new Queensryche....

Tate's crap? no thanks
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Samples are terrible - sounds like the same crap he has been putting out for years. Crap music, forgettable vocals with poor melodies. The man obviously has a serious narcissistic personality disorder the gets worse every year and by the sound of those samples has surrounded himself with enablers and doesn't push himself to excellence. Hell, the guy hasn't even push himself to mediocrity since Promised Land.... which was probably DeGarmo pushing him anyway.

I loved the S/T 2013 release - the mastering and mix needed some work, would have been a big seller if released back in the day. Looking forward to the new Queensryche....

Tate's crap? no thanks

i do agree that when you have to constantly tout how 'groundbreaking' or 'innovative' or other superlatives your music is that someone is trying to compensate. I do understand most bands engage in some form of hype but Tate takes it heights never seen before.

Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 11:54 am

exact33 wrote:
i do agree that when you have to constantly tout how 'groundbreaking' or 'innovative' or other superlatives your music is that someone is trying to compensate. I do understand most bands engage in some form of hype but Tate takes it heights never seen before.

No argument there. Those are the kinds of words that posterity attach to your stuff. I don't think you get to attach them yourself.

Now, if he managed to master circular breathing via his ass and played anal sax live, I think we could call let him call himself "groundbreaking." Granted, that's something NOBODY would want to see, but it'd certainly be new and unique.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2018 12:46 am

Wow, what a boring album this turned out to be. Got it for $5.99 at Half Price Books then found out the consensus around here and decided to give it one spin despite this. After all, there are many albums I like that don't get much love around here. Well, one spin and I promptly returned the CD (they have a 7 day return policy). Only liked 3 songs (Re-Inventing The Future, Live Or Death, and The Fall-which was almost ruined by a boring sax solo but made up for it with a decent guitar solo) and the rest nearly put me to sleep (not good when you drive for a living Very Happy).

I was under the impression his music was getting heavier, obviously the wrong impression. Won't be making that mistake again.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Operation Mindcrime: The Key
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next