Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Operation Mindcrime: The Key

Go down 
+15
manny
exact33
glassprison
Citanul
James B.
Runicen
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
Boris2008
Eyesore
Chairman_Smith
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Operation Mindcrime: The Key Empty
PostSubject: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 4:10 pm

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tates-operation-mindcrime-to-release-the-key-album-in-september-trailer-available/

They got some pretty decently long samples in the video in there.  I gotta say I'm surprised... I.... like... this?  Yeah I think I do.

Seems like the musicians he got actually know their craft and he's making use of what voice he has left.  He's singing rather than talking over subpar riffs.  I know most of you probably aren't a fan of Qyeensryche's 90s sound, but I describe it as something that could of come out between Promised Land and Hear In The Now Frontier.  Wow, I thought Geoff was spent creatively, but maybe he did some soul searching after that last embarrassment.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Ugh. Disappointing. That first track is just more of the same boring crap he's been doing for years now. It even sounds familiar. The second song is a lot better, at least the chorus. I dig the chorus quite a bit. The other two songs are more of the same like the first. Just all kinds of meh. =(

I will say, despite sounding very similar to what he's been doing, it is a bit more creative musically. Not much, though.

Shame, really, because there are far too many talented songwriters working for Frontiers. This album should have been amazing.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 4:48 pm

And what an awful album cover.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 5:07 pm

I listened to it and no surprise there is nothing to interest me. But WTF! I thought he'd been sporting the chrome dome because he was raving bald!! Where has all that hair come from?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Everything in that clip is better than the last 3-4 Ryche albums, Tate-Ryche, and Todd-Ryche.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Everything in that clip is better than the last 3-4 Ryche albums, Tate-Ryche, and Todd-Ryche.

You're nuts. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 12:52 am

Agreed on that terrible album cover.

I don't believe a single song on the album will rock. Which is a shame because he has a talented band and that's what most queens ryche fans want to hear.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 1:11 am

First track is terrible. Everything after is halfway decent, carries a bit more of a classic QR sound.

But the mix is weird. The drums are annoyingly hollow and Tate's voice needs some f*cking reverb. It's like a dry mix that details the mediocrity shackled to his forced artistry, a burning shadow of some lonesome fool ego in throes of regret against a faded backdrop of mortality's constant slander of self--an identity crisis of Biblical proportions.

And yeah that album art is poo.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 2:29 am

corplhicks wrote:
It's like a dry mix that details the mediocrity shackled to his forced artistry, a burning shadow of some lonesome fool ego in throes of regret against a faded backdrop of mortality's constant slander of self--an identity crisis of Biblical proportions.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 3:41 am

What's up with Geoff Tate's new haircut? It's like Sloth from the Goonies.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 5:17 am

Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
It's like a dry mix that details the mediocrity shackled to his forced artistry, a burning shadow of some lonesome fool ego in throes of regret against a faded backdrop of mortality's constant slander of self--an identity crisis of Biblical proportions.

Shocked

Oh shit! Hicks is trying to take HoM all highbrow!!!

Somebody call the mods!  affraid
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 8:06 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

I don't believe a single song on the album will rock. Which is a shame because he has a talented band and that's what most queens ryche fans want to hear.

I don't think most Ryche fans want them/him to "rock". I think they want the intensity and emotion that was prevalent in the band's early music. It's when they try to "rock" that they're boring (Q2K onward).

The last 3-4 pre-split Ryche albums had some OK songs, same for Tate-Ryche and Todd-Ryche...some OK songs...but no great moments on any of them. Nothing on Todd-Ryche sounded like Queensryche. A large chunk of Tate-Ryche was forgettable, but there was still traces of intensity and more moments that actually sounded like Queensryche. I agree that the first song in that video is more of the same "groove riff" stuff Tate keeps trying to do, but the other 3 clips are better than anything I've heard him do in years.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 8:27 am

Yawn...I can't even pretend that I care anymore. Haha

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I listened to it and no surprise there is nothing to interest me. But WTF! I thought he'd been sporting the chrome dome because he was raving bald!! Where has all that hair come from?

It's a merkin.

As for the music, it's ok I guess. I just can't care anymore. I'd rather give my money to the ToddRyche boys.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 am

I'm actually pretty pleasantly surprised. I like what I'm hearing.

My guess? Whoever is helping to write this material has a grasp of vocal melodies Tate himself does not, which would explain why this is suddenly leaps and bounds better than the last handful of albums Tate has helmed.

I do hope the band with Todd manage to get some mojo working there as well, because that wasn't AS weak with Todd as with Tate, but it still wasn't particularly stunning either.

If the entire album has the diversity and "musicality" of these teasers, it'll be worth a listen.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 9:58 am

Runicen wrote:
that wasn't AS weak with Todd as with Tate, but it still wasn't particularly stunning either.

Exactly...Todd-Ryche was just less weak...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 10:01 am

corplhicks wrote:

And yeah that album art is poo.

Looks like somebody was doing bong tokes while reading a Medieval dictionary.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:22 am

As I've mentioned on this forum before, I think "Open Road" and "A World Without" sound very much like Promised Land tracks. "In This Light" could have been on Empire. In fact, had it been it likely would have been a huge single for them.

Yes, the other songs don't really fall in line, but I'm not sure we can hold that against them. It's been how long since we were able to hear what the other guys in Queensryche would produce musically? It's not like the early stuff, not like the Tate-led stuff, but is it really not like Queensryche? I say it is. It's what Queensryche should sound like now because the right people are writing the music.

Either way, those first three songs I mentioned are excellent tunes. Nothing weak about them.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:26 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I don't think most Ryche fans want them/him to "rock".

I certainly do think so and let me be more specific.

They want more hard rock like Jet City Woman or slightly progressive stuff like Best I Can. Not their early power metal stuff. The type of stuff on Empire.

Not 70s inspired grunge or modern rock.

These samples are all in the style of tepid generic radio rock. Half of that style on the album between other rock songs might be fine but I don't think this will resonate with QR fans of old without a lot more Empire-ish hard rock tunes on there.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 am

But even the Empire stuff had intensity about it...they've lacked that since after Promised Land...

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 am

Eyesore wrote:
the right people are writing the music.

No, that would be DeGarmo and Tate. Like them or not.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
But even the Empire stuff had intensity about it...they've lacked that since after Promised Land...

Totally agree.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:49 am

I feel the second sample sounds quite a bit more like Empire material, even if it is a half-assed attempt.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:53 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
the right people are writing the music.

No, that would be DeGarmo and Tate.  Like them or not.

DeGarmo certainly wrote the bulk of Queensryche's most memorable  material. I think he made Tate shine,  was able to pull things from him that he is incapable of doing on his own, but for right now the right guys are writing the music.  Queensryche does not need outside songwriters, they don't need leftover songs that were meant and not good enough for other bands.

And as I've pointed out before, Wilton has written a number of Queensryche's best songs.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 12:15 pm

QR's last album proves that they need songwriting help desperately. If they put out another album of that quality again all the hate for Geoff in the world won't save them from what is becoming blindingly obvious. They are done as a creative force.

Wilton wrote QR songs that were saved by the vocals having to work twice as hard as he did.  The guitar riffs on their own tended to be a lot more generic than what DeGarmo wrote.  Totally agree that DeGarmo probably brought out the best in Tate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Operation Mindcrime: The Key   Operation Mindcrime: The Key Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Operation Mindcrime: The Key
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next