Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls

Go down 
+48
Troublezone
ShadowAngel
Wurthless
metalken
A Handful of Wayne
mikeinfla
metalinmyveins
James B.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
mr.electric39
Thrasher73
Citanul
Red Kitty
Thelemech
Boris2008
Vexer6
ultmetal
Required Fields
Wrecked Neck
Runicen
Medieval Torture Device
exact33
nevermore
DallasBlack
Rex
Gilbert
journeyman
manny
thejokeriv
the sentinel
John Madden
Dark Horseman
Lari
brokentulsa
glassprison
choosemetal
Shawn Of Fire
bgsully
corplhicks
MoonChild
ZombieHavoc
Infinite
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Infinite wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I really don't see what the big deal is with the album being 92 minutes.  It has been 5 years since their last album, so they had a lot of material compiled.  In the 1980s they released 1 album per year, add up the running time of 5 albums from that era...

Well, now I know who you are on the Hoffman board, because you said the same thing over there. Razz

When you have the same type of people whining about the same stuff in two different places then cut and paste is your friend.

Last edited by S.D. on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Let's face it, a lot of prog rock is just so BORING.  And this is coming from a guy who really loves a lot of it.

We'll just have to disagree on that point.

Last edited by S.D. on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm excited. Didn't see this coming. Double album, wow. Can't wait. The press release highlights that they wrote, rehearsed and recorded in one shot.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:34 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

The other thing I notices is that they are using the original Maiden font for this release (the R, N, M, M extend below the "lines") which they haven't used on any of the post-reunion studio albums (they have used it for the history tours, but not the new album tours.)
I never noticed this.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 1:25 am

Great news. All I am asking for is a couple of speed metal tracks, a la be quick or be dead. Hope we'll get treated to this.

Cover art seems a bit rushed.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:11 am

Maiden is as Maiden does. They've always just been themselves, never bowed to trends, and the continue to write music that makes them excited. I like some Maiden albums more than others, but none of them are bad. Even the Blaze albums have good music on them.

Opinions will always differ with music fans. Some love what others hate...whatever.

But it's sorta ridiculous that we're complaining about song lengths and Kevin Shirley when we haven't heard a single note of this album.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:18 am

Haters gonna hate.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:25 am

Well if Maiden ever needs a Bruce clone to fill in they can get the guy from this band.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:25 am

Lari wrote:
Haters gonna hate.

Precisely.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:33 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
But it's sorta ridiculous that we're complaining about song lengths and Kevin Shirley when we haven't heard a single note of this album.

As you wish! Fodder for complaints. New song.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:42 am

Rex wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

As you wish! Fodder for complaints. New song.

I really hope we are not getting punked here...haha!!! This may not be real...

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:46 am

Punked

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:59 am

HAHA! I'm a goofus, I didn't even notice. Show's how attentive I am while listening to stuff while working.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:07 am

I listened to the Final Frontier yesterday on Spotify. It's the first time I have since giving it an initial listen when it was released. I actually really liked it this time around. Some of it dragged on a bit, but I feel I could cut a few songs and make a really enjoyably shorter album.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 am

S.D. wrote:
I don't think Iron Maiden is "trying" to do anything or be anything other than "IRON MAIDEN".  They are who they want to be, they write the kind of songs they want to write and they don't give a F*ck whether their old, stuck in the past, narrow-minded whiner fans like it or not.  

Good for them!  Screw the naysayers. I hope they continue to piss them off, cause it's endlessly entertaining.  

I'd assume that goes for most bands--the writing what they want to write and not caring thing. I'd also assume there are bands that you once liked that now write music you don't like? Who cares, that's just part of being a music fan and fans of bands that stick around for 20, 30, 40 years.

I also don't see much of a goldmine of entertainingly pissed people on this board. Certainly there are a bunch of people who have commented here or on the Slayer thread, and probably a bunch others, that don't like a band's current sound or whatever...but I really don't see much weirdo fanboy outcry here. About the worst it gets is "Too bad _____ sucks now." I don't see many people foaming at the mouth or going off out of their minds in outrage. Especially since if you don't like Maiden or Slayer's current album, you probably haven't liked any of their stuff since the turn of the millennium and you're used to it by now.

But I get. It always seems weird to me when people praise early WASP and write off the current stuff. And it really annoys me when people say "I only like the Alice Cooper BAND albums."
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:19 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I don't think Iron Maiden is "trying" to do anything or be anything other than "IRON MAIDEN".  They are who they want to be, they write the kind of songs they want to write and they don't give a F*ck whether their old, stuck in the past, narrow-minded whiner fans like it or not.  

Good for them!  Screw the naysayers. I hope they continue to piss them off, cause it's endlessly entertaining.  

I'd assume that goes for most bands--the writing what they want to write and not caring thing. I'd also assume there are bands that you once liked that now write music you don't like? Who cares, that's just part of being a music fan and fans of bands that stick around for 20, 30, 40 years.

I also don't see much of a goldmine of entertainingly pissed people on this board. Certainly there are a bunch of people who have commented here or on the Slayer thread, and probably a bunch others, that don't like a band's current sound or whatever...but I really don't see much weirdo fanboy outcry here. About the worst it gets is "Too bad _____ sucks now." I don't see many people foaming at the mouth or going off out of their minds in outrage. Especially since if you don't like Maiden or Slayer's current album, you probably haven't liked any of their stuff since the turn of the millennium and you're used to it by now.

But I get. It always seems weird to me when people praise early WASP and write off the current stuff. And it really annoys me when people say "I only like the Alice Cooper BAND albums."

What bothers me is, it seems like if you automatically like or are excited about something, you're a "fanboy", and if you're automatically skeptical or expecting something shitty, you're "objective".

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:25 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
S.D. wrote:

What bothers me is, it seems like if you automatically like or are excited about something, you're a "fanboy", and if you're automatically skeptical or expecting something shitty, you're "objective".

I never really thought about it, but yeah that's true. Seems a bit too cut and dry.

Sometimes I don't think you can look at things you are automatically excited for objectively though. There are certain bands that I pretty much like no matter what they do, and I can guarantee that if either a different band recorded the same album or if it were my first introduction to the band, I would not view it the same. I have no objectivity when it comes to Alice Cooper at all, because I am a fanboy.

But there are plenty of albums I've been excited about for some reason or another, but I wouldn't have called myself a fanboy. Just something about the album had me exited--some times it lives up to it and other times doesn't.

Also, automatically thinking something is going to suck or being skeptical isn't really being objective. If you're assumptions are based on hating the past few albums, then the bias is already there. I mean, I get skeptical about albums based on the band's previous output all the time. Nothing really objective about that.

And another layer, I guess, but I am really excited for whenever Metallica's new album is released. Based on Death Magnetic and "Lords of Summer" I expect it to be good. But I am not a fanboy. I loathe Load, Re-Load and what I've heard of St. Anger. So. There's middle ground everywhere.

Last edited by ZombieHavoc on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:25 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Lari wrote:
Haters gonna hate.

Precisely.

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 522b8347e691b20af348b833_736

x3

You have people saying it sucks before even hearing one note from it.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:56 am

I suppose the announcement of this release date implies that we can also expect a new live album/DVD by Spring 2016.

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Tumblr_lygjv8IIqg1r4aal4o1_500
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 11:01 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I never really thought about it, but yeah that's true. Seems a bit too cut and dry.

Sometimes I don't think you can look at things you are automatically excited for objectively though. There are certain bands that I pretty much like no matter what they do, and I can guarantee that if either a different band recorded the same album or if it were my first introduction to the band, I would not view it the same. I have no objectivity when it comes to Alice Cooper at all, because I am a fanboy.

But there are plenty of albums I've been excited about for some reason or another, but I wouldn't have called myself a fanboy. Just something about the album had me exited--some times it lives up to it and other times doesn't.

Also, automatically thinking something is going to suck or being skeptical isn't really being objective. If you're assumptions are based on hating the past few albums, then the bias is already there. I mean, I get skeptical about albums based on the band's previous output all the time. Nothing really objective about that.

And another layer, I guess, but I am really excited for whenever Metallica's new album is released. Based on Death Magnetic and "Lords of Summer" I expect it to be good. But I am not a fanboy. I loathe Load, Re-Load and what I've heard of St. Anger. So. There's middle ground everywhere.

I think there's a difference between being a "fanboy" and being open to who an artist is. If you enjoy what an artist does, even if they're not known for moving the fences with their music, being open to where they may go next does't make one a "fanboy". Simply liking everything an artist has done, even if to varying degrees from adoration to simple appreciation, doesn't make one a "fanboy".

IMO, there's nothing objective about expecting failure.

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 1:00 pm

It's impossible to be "objective" about something when it hasn't even been released yet. In this particular case they are "assumptions".

I'll answer the *hater* thing when it comes to Shirley. In my personal experience, I have yet to hear an Iron Maiden album he produced where I said "wow, this is a great sounding album". So, I'm going off the assumption that the new album is probably going to sound pretty similar to his other works. I kind of doubt he's going to radically change up his formula. Now, I'm not one of those people saying his work ruins the albums, but I feel some simple tweaks could really improve the end result. But hey, I look at this stuff a little differently than most.

Regardless, I'm excited to hear the album and if need be I'll remaster it into a version that sounds better just like I've done with all the other Maiden records he's produced. Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm an objective fanboy. 😃

I'll take those remasters off your hands SD. 😉
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 2:11 pm

I wonder if Dickinson's increased songwriting input and the long running time was a result of the cancer news. Like maybe they all thought this could be the end, so they went all out.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Infinite wrote:
I wonder if Dickinson's increased songwriting input and the long running time was a result of the cancer news. Like maybe they all thought this could be the end, so they went all out.

I am thinking the album was nearly done when he found out. It was finished last year, but they held it until he was cleared by doctors.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 3:27 am

I'm a Maiden fanboy so this is a no brainer for me. However, I could never really get into the last one so hopefully this one will be better.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next