Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls

Go down 
+48
Troublezone
ShadowAngel
Wurthless
metalken
A Handful of Wayne
mikeinfla
metalinmyveins
James B.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
mr.electric39
Thrasher73
Citanul
Red Kitty
Thelemech
Boris2008
Vexer6
ultmetal
Required Fields
Wrecked Neck
Runicen
Medieval Torture Device
exact33
nevermore
DallasBlack
Rex
Gilbert
journeyman
manny
thejokeriv
the sentinel
John Madden
Dark Horseman
Lari
brokentulsa
glassprison
choosemetal
Shawn Of Fire
bgsully
corplhicks
MoonChild
ZombieHavoc
Infinite
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 10:10 am

To be honest I've gotten vibes from it that remind me of No Prayer for the Dying (in Bruce's vocals mainly) and The X Factor (in how dark the feel of the album is). But it's got traces of a lot of their eras in it, just going off first impressions.

This album's gonna take a while to sink in, which is great. I hope it'll have some longevity to it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Upon first listen, fantastic album! I'll have to live with it a bit to see where it ranks in Maiden albums. I've loved all of the post-reunion albums and this is no exception. I'll post more of a review after I listen to it some more. But a few interesting notes:

If Eternity Should Fail - wow, love it, fantastic opener. The big surprise for me is that Iron Maiden recorded a song in Drop D tuning (something they have never done before) and they did it well.

At this point in their career. this is the longest lasting Iron Maiden line up (16 + years!)

I'll post more after the album sinks in, but it is fantastic.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Might be equal to AMOLAD, the best of the post reunion albums imo.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
[/quote]

Over the years The Final Frontier grew onto me, from "eh, nothing that special" to "that's actually pretty good", i guess no small thanks to the awesome Iron Maiden mod for Left 4 Dead that utilized the opener of TFF for the final stats in the game.

[/quote]

An Iron Maiden mod for Left 4 Dead? Wow! I must track that one down. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 8:48 pm

For those interested in such things:

The LP is a different master than the CD and HDtracks download version. The LP was mastered by Chris Bellman (one of the best LP engineers in the business) and he did some boosting to the high end and low end frequencies (Shirley's mixes are very flat) and reports are it's a definite improvement over the CD version. Better separation between the bass guitar frequencies and the drums and more presence to the guitar parts.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Meant to pick mine up after work. Then half way through my shift I realized I forgot the coupon from the single. I'll just order it for pick-up.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 9:57 pm

S.D. wrote:

The LP is a different master than the CD and HDtracks download version.  The LP was mastered by Chris Bellman (one of the best LP engineers in the business) and he did some boosting to the high end and low end frequencies (Shirley's mixes are very flat) and reports are it's a definite improvement over the CD version.  Better separation between the bass guitar frequencies and the drums and more presence to the guitar parts.  

I'd be interested to hear this version. I'm sure a vinyl rip will show up on the interwebs shortly.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:00 am

Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:

The LP is a different master than the CD and HDtracks download version.  The LP was mastered by Chris Bellman (one of the best LP engineers in the business) and he did some boosting to the high end and low end frequencies (Shirley's mixes are very flat) and reports are it's a definite improvement over the CD version.  Better separation between the bass guitar frequencies and the drums and more presence to the guitar parts.  

I'd be interested to hear this version.  I'm sure a vinyl rip will show up on the interwebs shortly.

I'd like to get my hands on that different master!

Used my Dimple points to get the Deluxe Edition for $7. I guess that they had a listening party at some point and they gave me some leftover swag: A poster, two coasters and a button/pin thing. I will eventually frame it all.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 1:20 am

Heard if eternity should fail on YouTube this morning. This is an awesome song.

hope they have a couple of good speed metal tunes.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 10:27 am

S.D. wrote:

I can confirm it sounds fantastic - you are correct about the separation between the bass and drums, you can really head Steve Harris better on the vinyl. I listened though my audio technica studio headphone. The CD sounds pretty darn good too through the headphones too - better production that the past few studio albums.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 10:56 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Meant to pick mine up after work. Then half way through my shift I realized I forgot the coupon from the single. I'll just order it for pick-up.

Might want to hit Best Buy with your coupon - according to Amazon, the CD and vinyl are out of stock and the deluxe edition isn't even listed for sale anymore. Still listed as #1 seller in music on Amazon... would be very to cool to see a # 1 debut in the US.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 11:09 am

I am 4 tracks in and really happy. Smile Hearing "Speed of Light" after the first track (as opposed to a stand alone preview video from earlier in this thread) made me think back to walking into my fave record store back in early '88 and hearing "Can I Play with Madness" for the first time! headbanger
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 11:35 am

I'm on disc 2 now and it's excellent. The run time/ song length is barely noticeable as the Maiden metal machine rolls on.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 11:37 am

I went to my local Best Buy here in south Florida after work. A bad storm had just rolled through, so it knocked out their power and they were sending everyone home just prior to 5:00. Needless to say, I was not able to "Up the Irons". Hopefully their power is restored today. I listened to the first five tracks on Spotify yesterday and really liked what I heard!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 1:52 pm

First standout song is The Great Unknown.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 2:01 pm

I bought it a day early, but I still haven't had time to listen to the damn thing all the way thru! Sad

I have to go in to work for a couple of hours on Saturday and Sunday afternoons though (pfffft!), so I plan on listening to Disc 1 on the drive down and Disc 2 on the ride back both days. By the end of the long weekend the whole thing should have had enough time to "gel."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 5:23 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Quote :

you can really head Steve Harris better on the vinyl. 

I knew that you were a massive fan of his but jeez dude!!!  Laughing very hard

(Sorry man, couldn't resist  Razz)

On a more serious note it's a very good album. Bruce still annoys me but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
First standout song is The Great Unknown.

Agreed. I listened to the first disc while exercising this morning and it really caught my attention.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 6:52 pm

There are several tracks that have jumped out at me.

If Eternity Should Fail
When The River Runs Deep
The Book of Souls
Tears of A Clown
Man Of Sorrows
Empire Of The Clouds

I've only heard the whole thing a few times so I'm going to wait for it to sink in a little more before rating it.

The only song I'm not crazy about is Shadows Of The Valley so far.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Classic Rock magazine gave this a 9 out of 10 and I am inclined to agree with them, however, they didn't have anything negative to say, so why not a 10/10? They even spoke glowingly of the production. This is where I would minus a half point as the low end seems really booming on my system. I bought the standard edition CD, not the vinyl. I hate to say it but I would deduct another half for bland artwork. Maiden are known for Eddie and their covers depicting his various and storied adventures, that's why this and DoD are such letdowns. Other than that, the music and vocal performance are outstanding. And the lyrics to Empire of the Clouds had me researching the R101 disaster online while listening. I spent a solid 3 hours with ol 'Arry and the boys today and it was awesome!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 12:39 am

The boxy sound on the drums is mostly remedied on the LP.  I just went up to Amoeba after work this afternoon and bought it.  The LP is a BIG improvement over the CD. The drums sound significantly better, Steve's bass is much more distinct and not buried in the mud.  The midrange has been tamed a little as well and Bellman brought some high end back into it.  

On the CD version the guitars start to sound harsh after awhile and my ears would get tired.  I just listened to the LPs all the way through and had no problem.  

The vinyl looks pretty damn cool as well...

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 11988662_10206194422894034_3514976021405251569_n

Last edited by S.D. on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 1:28 am

the sentinel wrote:
Classic Rock magazine gave this a 9 out of 10 and I am inclined to agree with them, however, they didn't have anything negative to say, so why not a 10/10?

The problem with rating scales, especially 10-point ones, is that people answer them differently. Someone might be very enthusiastic and rate everything they like as 10 out of 10, while others might generally stick to a 9 in case like that and only go to a 10 in exceptional circumstances. So if the reviewer was one of the latter types then that could explain it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 am

thejokeriv wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Might want to hit Best Buy with your coupon - according to Amazon, the CD and vinyl are out of stock and the deluxe edition isn't even listed for sale anymore. Still listed as #1 seller in music on Amazon... would be very to cool to see a # 1 debut in the US.

I already paid for it so they better have it.

F*ck!!!!!!!!!!!! They never sent me an e-mail and no charge on the card. This really sucks I'm so damn pissed off right now!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 1:19 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I already paid for it so they better have it.

F*ck!!!!!!!!!!!! They never sent me an e-mail and no charge on the card. This really sucks I'm so damn pissed off right now!

After taking a second to cool down when I posted that, I checked Amazon marketplace and found that Go Hastings had one copy available. It was several $s more than the Best Buy one (not including shipping) and I couldn't use the coupon but at least I'll have it. I will check Best Buy on my way to get dinner later (I could still cancel the order if I'm lucky enough to find it) but I'm sure my coupon is now worthless.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 4:13 pm

I gave the second disc a listen to today and think it's better than the first. A lot of standout tracks on this one : Empire Of The Clouds and Tears Of A Clown for sure. Shadows Of The Valley's beginning reminds me of Wasted Years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls
Page 11 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next