Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls

Go down 
+48
Troublezone
ShadowAngel
Wurthless
metalken
A Handful of Wayne
mikeinfla
metalinmyveins
James B.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
mr.electric39
Thrasher73
Citanul
Red Kitty
Thelemech
Boris2008
Vexer6
ultmetal
Required Fields
Wrecked Neck
Runicen
Medieval Torture Device
exact33
nevermore
DallasBlack
Rex
Gilbert
journeyman
manny
thejokeriv
the sentinel
John Madden
Dark Horseman
Lari
brokentulsa
glassprison
choosemetal
Shawn Of Fire
bgsully
corplhicks
MoonChild
ZombieHavoc
Infinite
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 3:36 pm

007 wrote:
Shadows Of The Valley's beginning reminds me of Wasted Years.

Said this to myself this morning, when listening to the whole album for a second time.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 3:43 pm

The limited edition book was waiting for me in the mailbox when I got back in the country Friday. I listened to the first 3 tracks about four or five times Saturday. Today I've played the next three tracks.

I still can't get into a deeper analysis, but I've got to say I love the sound and the overall feel. Very live and easy on the ear. Someone said something about the vinyl having more intense highs and lows, well I don't want that. Well, that's an exaggeration, since I did a little adjusting. I obviously have an equalizer on my stereo system, and I always like to play around with it a little. I like my albums a little flat so they can be adjusted. Because what works for headphones doesn't work for speakers. It's just the way it is.

Of the first disc so far I like the longer songs. Red & Black and the title track. But they are all excellent, and I just love playing them.

I don't know when I'll get to the rest of the album. Maybe I'll save it for Christmas. Or for 2016! I still didn't even listen to the Blind Guardian album in full. I still have a few tracks saved for later! With Iron Maiden especially you don't get new material very often and I don't feel like rushing in.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 5:26 pm

So the book with the deluxe edition is basically just the lyrics....found this video on youtube showing the book..

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 6:17 pm

I was on the fence about the book so the store being sold out of it on Friday night made my decision for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Best Buy did process my order, it was just put in my junk folder. Hopefully goHastings will refund my order.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 8:01 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
So the book with the deluxe edition is basically just the lyrics....found this video on youtube showing the

I bought the iTunes version of the album and it came with a high res PDF of that basically.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 10:43 pm

This is a really good album. I'm thinking the vinyl is in my future. I find this cd to be very dense and after 2 cd's I'm on the verge of fatigue. I'm working so hard to distinguish the 3 guitars, bass, drums and keyboards. Headphones help out quite a bit. despite my gripe, I'm really enjoying this album. Song titles, lyrics and artwork remind me of Bruce's solo stuff (first impression).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 7:45 am

I wish CDs had the same sound quality as vinyl records, because I like to listen to music in the car. Unfortunately, that is something you can't do with vinyl.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Took several listens through and I gotta say this album kicks ass. While it's not perfect, it could be my favorite post-reunion album. Every song is fairly remarkable, memorable, and on fire. For some reason I feel like I'm listening to Powerslave extras--can't really explain it. The title track, Tears of a Clown, and Empire are my three top tracks. I also love Red and the Black but wish they hadn't gone down that ugly and derivative i-VI-III-VII path again. Cut that out and the song is flawless.

Is it too long? For me, yeah, but that's just because I'm a short-album type of guy. Separating the shorter tunes from the older ones helped and didn't mar the sequencing. It's really not a big deal.

The production is ugly, however. I mean, the midrange is just overbearing and the guitars clash constantly. Way too muddy at higher levels. Bruce's voice gets buried in the mix. Any praise for the production of this album is just baffling to me. It doesn't even sound live. Worst of all, Steve's bass definition is nearly missing. I'm willing to admit that perhaps Spotify could be adding to this, but if the stream is at all similar to the CD, poo. Regardless, it's a fantastic album where the song quality isn't marred by the mix.

I was able to come across a vinyl rip that I'll be trying on for size later today.

I've never thought of the post-reunion Maiden as a prog band, but a metal band sticking to more ambitious arrangements. This whole album sounds like pure Maiden to me from start to finish. The writing here transcends and is far from mediocre or rushed. It actually sounds and feels INSPIRED. There's a word I don't use much when describing today's music, especially with veteran metal artists.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Confirmed: the vinyl mix is far superior in every way. I've got it cranked on the headphones right now and the result is much cleaner and stronger than the original. This is the ideal source, folks.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 6:36 pm

really like disc 1 but disc 2 may have to grow on me ....
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 9:04 pm

Just listened to Disc 1 again and "Up the Irons!" headbanger
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 11:47 am

What does everyone think of the song, Empire of the Clouds? I like it but man, it's long.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 11:53 am

I like Empire Of The Clouds. I also don't have attention span issues. Razz
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 11:54 am

I like Empire Of The Clouds. Most times, extremely long songs tend to bore me. This is one of the exceptions.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 12:05 pm

OK, so the album is slowly starting to "gel" with me after a couple of passes... I really like "Speed of Light," "The Red and the Black" and "Tears of a Clown" thus far.

I have yet to make it thru "Empire of the Clouds" in one sitting. I've been listening to the album in my truck and I haven't had to run any errands that were long enough for me to hear the whole song in one go, it's been a little bit of it here, then another bit of it a few hours later, etc., etc. Laughing very hard

Overall I wouldn't call it a mind-blowing album but it's a pleasant enough listen...though I have a feeling that when the newness wears off it'll go up on the shelf and it will only get pulled out every once in a while... like the other post-Brave New World albums.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 12:34 pm

The funny thing with me is I tend to listen to the post-reunion albums much more frequently than the 80s stuff these days. Probably cause that stuff still feels somewhat "new" to me and hasn't been played 5 million times like the earlier albums.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
The funny thing with me is I tend to listen to the post-reunion albums much more frequently than the 80s stuff these days.  Probably cause that stuff still feels somewhat "new" to me and hasn't been played 5 million times like the earlier albums.  

My "go-to" Maiden album has been Powerslave for the past 30 years. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Empire of the clouds is one of my favorite songs on the album... The whole album is great imo, the ony thing i don`t like is the production.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 5:18 pm

I'm liking the 3-LP configuration. The switching sides, switching discs puts some nice little intermissions in there and allows me a second or two to absorb what I just heard before moving onto the next.

After living with the album over the weekend I have no problem saying it's my favorite of the reunion albums. Even the couple songs that I initially didn't care for I've warmed up to. With BNW, Dance of Death and The Final Frontier I always end up skipping certain tracks that I just don't like.

Sure, I could nitpick things (the mix, some of the "deja vu" riffs here and there, some of the stock Maiden-isms, etc) but overall I think the pros outweigh the cons and I'm really enjoying the album.

I think it's the most "fun" Maiden album for quite awhile...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm loving the new album! Certainly the best post-reunion album since Brave New Word (with time maybe will ever surpass it). Definitely better than The Final Frontier. That wasn't a bad album, but I got bored with it. None of the songs really held my attention. With this one I found myself singing along with it on the first spin which hasn't happened with a Maiden album since Dance Of Death.

You audiophiles had me worried with all the talk about the production. However, apart from not quite being able to distinguish the bass and the drums in parts, I had no problem with the mix on the CD.

Empire of Clouds was fine by me. I actually think If Eternity Should Fail is my favorite tune.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 9:03 pm

I am listening to this for the first time at this very moment and I must say that I am loving this new Maiden offering. They have really outdone themselves and I find that so far I am getting a strong eighties vibe from this with the added flourishes and progressiveness of their later work. The best album since BNW IMHO.
Metal feels exciting and powerful again and this new Iron Maiden album is definitely stocking the fires of the genre. UP THE IRONS headbanger
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Just about done spinning disc 2 tonight and I have come to the conclusion I like this album(s) much more than Final Frontier. It was a good album, but I tired of it pretty quick. With BofS, I am actually excited to play it each night after a long day of work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 10:12 pm

I really like about half of The Final Frontier (El Dorado, Mother of Mercy, Isle Of Avalon, Starblind and When The Wild Wind Blows), the rest of it is okay but those are the tracks I usually listen to. Those 5 tracks add up to about 41 minutes so it's a solid 1980s length album. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 10:23 pm

I liked final frontier, but I think book of souls is a better album, over all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls    Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls  - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next