Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?

Go down 
+10
martinsane
manny
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
metalinmyveins
ZombieHavoc
the sentinel
muckie
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 5:01 am

With all the praise behind Rock Candy, is anyone interested in maybe petitioning to them to release the Ratt 1983 EP remastered? That is one release I'd really love to have. We should let them know there's interest for it.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 7:45 am

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 7:54 am

I got lucky and got this one for free a number of years ago (gift from an ex gf) and I love it. I still have on it cassette too but it plays pretty horribly. I would love to see a re release, but like I whined about before unless it offers something I don't already have I am not buying. This past weekend I was in Princeton Records and had the Rock Candy remaster of QR 1988 in hand it was only 7.99 but I put it back as I wouldn't be gaining anything by doubling up. Hopefully this does get a re release and maybe some live stuff from that era or demos of songs that came later on Cellar or Invasion.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:26 am

I keep hoping that I come across it in the used bins but that seems to be a pipe dream so re-mastered/re-release is about the best route to hope for.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:03 am

That would be great, but I assume there is more to it than Rock Candy (or any other reissue label) not wanting to do it. I don't know who hold the rights, but I assume whoever does probably doesn't care if it's available or not, else it would've been reissued a while ago.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:04 am

Around a year or two ago, I came across a file for the RATT E.P. Since the C.D has been out of print for many years and the only C.D's which can be found are at absurd prices, I downloaded the E.P. Outside of the many live shows I've downloaded, there have been only a couple of official releases that I've downloaded and that was due to the aforementioned reason. I would be the first to buy this, if and when it ever comes out, but until then... Anyways, below is the title of the file. If anyone wants the link, just PM me.

Ratt (1983) Ratt (EP) [Japan 1st Press, 28XD-706, 1987] {ikebana}
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:51 am

It's a rights issue. Time Coast Communications still owns the copyright and majority publishing while Atlantic holds distribution. I'm sure Rock Candy has interest in this as much as the remaining catalog but it would be a mess to go that route.

My honest take is F*ck the CD. It's simply worth a lot as a collector's item, nothing more and nothing less. Plus the mix is terrible compared to the vinyl as Atlantic went and screwed with it on the remaster. If you have a turntable, pick up the vinyl for cheap. No turntable, go for a torrent. For completists, save money. A few months ago I saw it on eBay for 60 bucks, about the allotment of my monthly allowance, and nearly bit the bait, but then thought nah, the vinyl copy I have is just fine.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 10:56 am

I got the RATT EP on CD for nothin' a few years back from a lady @ work -- she let me pick thru a big bag of her no good ex boyfriend's CDs that he'd left behind at her place after they broke up. I had no idea it was such a collectible till I got it home that night and I saw what it was going for on eBay. I think I may have cackled. Hell hath no fury indeed! Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:02 am

I have the cd and two copies on vinyl.  Ha ha suckers!

I do hope it gets reissued as it's a very good EP.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:20 am

I figured it had something to do with the rights. I couldn't care less about the mix , I still would love that baby on CD (not paying that kind of cash for it though).
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:22 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I got the RATT EP on CD for nothin' a few years back from a lady @ work -- she let me pick thru a big bag of her no good ex boyfriend's CDs that he'd left behind at her place after they broke up. I had no idea it was such a collectible till I got it home that night and I saw what it was going for on eBay. I think I may have cackled. Hell hath no fury indeed! Laughing very hard

Witchfinder wrote:
I have the cd and two copies on vinyl.  Ha ha suckers!

I do hope it gets reissued as it's a very good EP.

You guys suck ! lol!

just kidding
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 11:41 am

I have a bootleg version of it, and its a good little EP
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 3:47 am

I, like many of the cd's I have, was fortunate enough to find this in a pawn shop many years back for cheap cheap almost free and like many here was not familiar with the collectable nature of the disc until then. Played the tape into the dirt back in the day so I am glad for the cd in my collection as already mentioned it is a great EP regardless of the "mix".
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 12:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:
It's a rights issue. Time Coast Communications still owns the copyright and majority publishing while Atlantic holds distribution. I'm sure Rock Candy has interest in this as much as the remaining catalog but it would be a mess to go that route.

I kinda figured their must be some rea$on why this hasn't been re-issued yet. I'm sure Rock Candy or someone else would do it in a heartbeat if they could.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 1:09 pm

Which makes me wonder, Why hold onto the rights of something if you're not going to do anything with the product ? What purpose does that serve just sitting on it? Basically everybody loses in that scenario, more or less.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 1:26 pm

007 wrote:
Which makes me wonder, Why hold onto the rights of something if you're not going to do anything with the product ? What purpose does that serve just sitting on it? Basically everybody loses in that scenario, more or less.

Could be something as simple as a big company can't be bothered wasting their resources with something they see as trivial. Sorting out all the legal stuff takes time and money and they've got bigger fish to fry, so-to-speak. So they'll just let the files sit and collect dust in their basement.

Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 6:04 pm

I've got 2 on cd and would totally trade it for the hellbastard "natural order" cd.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 6:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:

Could be something as simple as a big company can't be bothered wasting their resources with something they see as trivial. Sorting out all the legal stuff takes time and money and they've got bigger fish to fry, so-to-speak. So they'll just let the files sit and collect dust in their basement.

That's how I've always looked at it too. Stormspell would know the ins and outs of it all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 7:23 pm

These huge corporations aren't going to reissue something unless they can see a significant financial return.  Often they have a sales threshold and if an album isn't going to sell at least...say 5000 to 10,000 copies...they aren't going to waste their time reprinting it.  (that could be a low estimate too, the threshold could be much higher).

It's similar to movie studios and television networks, there are hundreds and hundreds of movies and TV shows that have never been reissued, never released on DVD and likely never will be, because there just isn't enough financial incentive for them to bother with it.

This is complicated if there are any rights issues involved, hell, a lot of TV shows and movies don't get released because they no longer have the rights to the soundtrack...for example:  when they initially got the rights to the music it was for theatrical and TV use only, but those rights did not extend to technologies that didn't exist yet (home video, streaming, etc).  If a soundtrack contains music from a lot of different artists that's a big expenditure to either re-license the music (possibly from multiple rights holders) or replace the music entirely, which takes investment in post-production.  Many times they'll look at these expenses, realize the financial cost is higher than what profit they were likely going to make from a reissue and they'll decide to just let it sit in the vault instead.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 7:56 pm

What about the possibility of an on demand creation like they do for DVD sets of tv shows from years past? Or, maybe some sort of a pledge or kickstarter where maybe 2-3 thousand people pay an amount that helps cover the costst and makes a profit for the reissuing company? I agree with what S.D. said about the big companies aren't going to reissue something unless they can see a significant financial return; but maybe a smaller one would. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:15 pm

That's why labels often hand off reissues to outside companies like Rock Candy, Rhino, Mosaic, etc. Atlantic isn't going to be bothered with reissuing a King's X album, but if Rock Candy or some other reissue label can afford the licensing fee they'll let them reissue it. Then the question becomes is the licensing fee affordable compared to the profit potential of the reissue?

If there are any hangups during the process though (rights issues, master tapes cannot be located, etc) the label can come back at any time and say no, we changed out minds.

The problem with so many metal albums from the 80s is often it was a smaller independent label that secured a distribution deal through a major label which complicates the reissue process and severely increases the cost for licensing.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:19 pm

If it does get re-issued, I hope it is without bonus tracks.  I would be willing to bet they would include the Mickey Ratt/Jake E Lee stuff, which is horrid and a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:05 pm

I just read that there is a 7 track version from Music for Nations that includes You're in Trouble. Anyone got this?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 11:28 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I just read that there is a 7 track version from Music for Nations that includes You're in Trouble. Anyone got this?

From my understanding that was just a UK vinyl pressing. The only CD versions of the EP were issued by Atlantic/Time Coast in the mid-80's and again in the 90's with the release of Ratt n' Roll 81-91.

Shawn is right, the profitability here is low. When the first CD pressing happened Ratt was a hot name. With the greatest hits comp (one of the better comps of that era, I might add) it was an added bonus, although only a handful of copies were pressed.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 12:53 am

What I find ironic is that Ratt's compilation "Tell the World" doesn't actually include the song in question, which was from this EP. :shrug:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?   Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ratt 1983 EP remaster, anyone?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next