Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall

Go down 
+21
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
ZombieHavoc
glassprison
Infinite
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
exact33
DakotaRogers
James B.
the sentinel
Lari
Gilbert
Eyesore
A Handful of Wayne
corplhicks
Zdan
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 3:55 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Um, DD started the band.  Blitz didn't.  DD has the final say.

Ah, bushwa. I'm sure there are a bunch of scenarios where founding members have been fired. Def Leppard was essentially formed by Rick Savage, Tony Kenning and Pete Willis and that didn't help Pete Willis in the end. Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones is another example, but it didn't save his butt either...

Overkill is DD's band. Blitz backs DD. It's that simple. Bobby was the odd man out and he got the boot.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Um, DD started the band.  Blitz didn't.  DD has the final say.

Ah, bushwa. I'm sure there are a bunch of scenarios where founding members have been fired. Def Leppard was essentially formed by Rick Savage, Tony Kenning and Pete Willis and that didn't help Pete Willis in the end. Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones is another example, but it didn't save his butt either...

Overkill is DD's band.  Blitz backs DD.  It's that simple. Bobby was the odd man out and he got the boot.

Considering how history has played itself out, that is definitely obvious. Even though that may be the case, it doesn't mean it was the right move.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 4:23 pm

corplhicks wrote:
To my understanding the firing happened over creative differences. DD had these unorthodox visions for the band that Blitz embraced and Bobby wasn't thrilled over. One could theorize--and according to interviews with Bobby this is possible--that the songwriting spotlight and creative steering that Bobby struggled for was largely out of his hands. Dude wanted sole songwriting credit and no additional guitarists. And there's the money aspect. So it had nothing to do with talent.

Honestly, as much as I love Bobby--he's not a great guitar player but shows tons of character and spirit in his approach--reading his interviews he comes off as a sizable egomaniac, even claiming all of Overkill's albums beyond his stint received a poor reception (which isn't even half true). He's pretty bitter, but all evidence points to DD making a progressive business decision.

I think Bobby's being naive as it pertained to the business side of things (namely royalties), never helped his cause. These have been contentious issues with him, but he probably only has himself to blame. The list of guys getting screwed over the decades is a long one. Due to those issues alone, I think it's made him bitter to a certain degree. When you come to think about it, Dave Mustaine is one of the most bitter men in all of metal, yet most people seem to love that side of him.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Make it Feel the Fire through Horrorscope box-set and I'll buy it, everything else makes it excessive imo
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 11:18 am

Details of the box set are revealed and prepare to be dissapointed:

"New Jersey thrash metal veterans OVERKILL recently inked a new worldwide deal with Nuclear Blast Records. Previously signed to the label for Europe only, OVERKILL's first worldwide release on Nuclear Blast will be a special box set comprised of the band's entire back catalog, due out this fall.

In a behind-the-scenes interview with VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show", OVERKILL singer Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth stated about the band's upcoming retrospective package: "The OVERKILL box set is remasters from that center section; it's not the Atlantic and the major-label stuff. It's everything that followed it up until 2007. So let's say, pre-'Immortalis' [2007], pre-'Ironbound' [2010], and after the Atlantic years. So '96 through 2007 — 11 years. I think there's nine records, including live records, in there."

He continued: "[There are] some interesting things [in there], because it wasn't the most healthy time for heavy metal. And the cool thing about it was that there was great music out there that, to some degree, was being bypassed by other genres and subgenres in heavy metal. But this thrash metal was pure [and] straight ahead. It's what we're all about. And we made it sound better with the box set. So you can get, let's say, a whole slice of a decade, or history, and understand what we were doing if you weren't there to experience it the first time."

OVERKILL and SYMPHONY X will join forces for a North American tour in September/October. The 24-date co-headlining trek launches at The Palladium in Worcester, Massachusetts on September 18, hits four Canadian cities, then wraps up with a very special night at Terminal 5 in New York City on October 17 — the first time in the bands’ combined histories that they'll play a show together in their own backyard.

OVERKILL's latest album, "White Devil Armory", sold around 8,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 31 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD was released on July 22, 2014 in North America via eOne Music and on July 18, 2014 in Europe through Nuclear Blast Records. The effort was tracked at Gear Recording and was mixed by Greg Reely, who also worked on 2012's "The Electric Age".

OVERKILL filmed videos for the songs "Bitter Pill" and "Armorist" with veteran director Kevin J. Custer (HATEBREED, TESTAMENT, SUFFOCATION). Custer previously worked with OVERKILL on the "Electric Rattlesnake" and "Bring Me The Night" clips."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bobby-blitz-ellsworth-discusses-overkills-upcoming-box-set-video/#BuYF8mi3qOjIpMir.99
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 11:28 am

Sooooo, it's NOT their entire back-catalog and no mention of any bonus or unreleased tracks? But it will be made louder and brickwalled to no end.

As a fan who has these albums already, remind me why I'd be interested in this again? scratch

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 11:29 am

(shrugs) So in other words, the box set won't have anything in it that I don't already own... So I can safely ignore it. I figured as much.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Oh well. At least this will save me some money.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 3:30 pm

What the hell is this shit? It makes no sense for any fan to own such garbage.

I'm wondering if there's a rights issue with the Atlantic catalog, which is why Taking Over is available on CD-R only and we haven't seen any reissues. Of course, they would just destroy the mix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 3:44 pm

I'm sure the rights are tied up with Atlantic (nobody can afford to get their masters back from them) and thus they have no access to that part of their catalog. If Taking Over is only available as a CDR then that shows Overkill's back catalog doesn't move enough units for Atlantic to justify a production run on the actual CDs.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Well, in fairness, Bobby did say this in that quote above...

Quote :
So you can get, let's say, a whole slice of a decade, or history, and understand what we were doing if you weren't there to experience it the first time."

So he's basically saying it's not for the hardcore fans that already have these recordings. I'm not sure how many units it'll move with that kind of promotion, but I know I won't be purchasing this. No reason to in my mind.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 3:25 pm

Details on the box set:

OVERKILL To Release 'Historikill: 1995 - 2007' Box Set In September

New Jersey thrash metal veterans OVERKILL recently inked a new worldwide deal with Nuclear Blast Records. Previously signed to the label for Europe only, OVERKILL's first worldwide release on Nuclear Blast will be a special box set comprised of the band's entire back catalog, due out on September 18. Titled "Historikill: 1995 - 2007", it will contain 11 OVERKILL albums on 13 CDs and a bonus CD (containing demos, remixes and an unreleased cover song) in digi sleeves.

"Historikill: 1995 - 2007" will include the following albums:

* "Wrecking Your Neck"
* "The Killing Kind"
* "From The Underground And Below"
* "Necroshine"
* "Coverkill"
* "Bloodletting"
* "Hello From The Gutter"
* "Wrecking Everything"
* "Killbox 13"
* "ReliXIV"
* "Immortalis"

The bonus CD will include the following songs:

01. Blood Money (Demo)
02. Horrorscope (Demo)
03. Soulitude (Demo)
04. Killogy (Demo)
05. Old School (Remix)
06. Skull And Bones (Remix)
07. Under One (Tracking Mix)
08. Man In Black (JOHNNY CASH cover)

The complete track listing can be found at NuclearBlast.de.

In a behind-the-scenes interview with VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show", OVERKILL singer Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth stated about the band's upcoming retrospective package: "The OVERKILL box set is remasters from that center section; it's not the Atlantic and the major-label stuff. It's everything that followed it up until 2007. So let's say, pre-'Immortalis' [2007], pre-'Ironbound' [2010], and after the Atlantic years. So '96 through 2007 — 11 years. I think there's nine records, including live records, in there."

He continued: "[There are] some interesting things [in there], because it wasn't the most healthy time for heavy metal. And the cool thing about it was that there was great music out there that, to some degree, was being bypassed by other genres and subgenres in heavy metal. But this thrash metal was pure [and] straight ahead. It's what we're all about. And we made it sound better with the box set. So you can get, let's say, a whole slice of a decade, or history, and understand what we were doing if you weren't there to experience it the first time."

OVERKILL and SYMPHONY X will join forces for a North American tour in September/October. The 24-date co-headlining trek launches at The Palladium in Worcester, Massachusetts on September 18, hits four Canadian cities, then wraps up with a very special night at Terminal 5 in New York City on October 17 — the first time in the bands’ combined histories that they'll play a show together in their own backyard.

OVERKILL's latest album, "White Devil Armory", sold around 8,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 31 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD was released on July 22, 2014 in North America via eOne Music and on July 18, 2014 in Europe through Nuclear Blast Records. The effort was tracked at Gear Recording and was mixed by Greg Reely, who also worked on 2012's "The Electric Age".

OVERKILL filmed videos for the songs "Bitter Pill" and "Armorist" with veteran director Kevin J. Custer (HATEBREED, TESTAMENT, SUFFOCATION). Custer previously worked with OVERKILL on the "Electric Rattlesnake" and "Bring Me The Night" clips.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/overkill-to-release-historikill-1995-2007-box-set-in-september/#ZTQ0mb3rVMZRbom5.99
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Why the heck are they including the Hello From the Gutter best-of in this box? It's just a "greatest-hits" compilation made up of tracks from the albums that are included in this box set! scratch

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Why the heck are they including the Hello From the Gutter best-of in this box? It's just a "greatest-hits" compilation made up of tracks from the albums that are included in this box set! scratch

Baffling.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Baffling.

Yup. Why don't they just throw the Extended Versions live disc in there right next to Wrecking Your Neck while they're at it? Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 3:34 pm

If it was left out, some other Overkill nerds on another board would wonder why those idiots didn't include it since it's a box set for god's sake.

Wink

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Baffling.

Yup. Why don't they just throw the Extended Versions live disc in there right next to Wrecking Your Neck while they're at it? Laughing very hard

Also, Hello From The Gutter is 2 discs, so wouldn't that make this a 14 disc set? Hello From The Gutter features tracks from Feel The Fire too.  I am confused.

Last edited by Witchfinder on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Seems cool, but none of those albums hold a candle to the pre-Horrorscope era.

Overkill was way better as a balls-to-the-wall heavy metal band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall   Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overkill - Giant Box Set Due This Fall
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3