Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gentle Giant

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 am

Any fans of this 70's prog band?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Very cool band. I haven't heard a lot from them, but I did have Free Hand at one point and it was awesome. I need to check them out again though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:26 pm

Yeah, I like 'em a lot. I got the S/T, Free Hand, In A Glass House, The Power And The Glory, Three Friends & Octopus.
Back to top Go down

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:55 pm

I need to give them some more of my time...what I've heard has been really good...I love Prog stuff!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Yes, obviously. I hope you enjoy Three Friends. I'd say Octopus is their best, fairly heavy for them. Another one that I like is Citizen, although that isn't one of their "classics". Citizen is more like Yes-90125 or Nektar-Man In The Moon in that it's got that poppy Asia/Alan Parsons influence, but I like it anyway.
Back to top Go down

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 7:41 pm

The only one I have so far is Octopus and it's a great record! I've also heard the debut and though not quite as good, still a very interesting album. I'll be exploring more of their stuff in the future.

In a similar vein, I would advise you guys to check out an album called "McDonald & Giles", two ex-members of King Crimson, VERY cool record. Ian McDonald would then leave to join Foreigner.
Back to top Go down

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 am

I dug out an old burn copy of the GENTLE GIANT debut...very cool stuff indeed. I like the vocal arrangements and it was more technical than I remembered it being. Very cool...thanks for reminding me about them, Scott!
Back to top Go down

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 am

Listening to them now...man, you can really hear where SPOCK'S BEARD was influenced by GENTLE GIANT...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:41 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
Yes, obviously. I hope you enjoy Three Friends. I'd say Octopus is their best, fairly heavy for them. Another one that I like is Citizen, although that isn't one of their "classics". Citizen is more like Yes-90125 or Nektar-Man In The Moon in that it's got that poppy Asia/Alan Parsons influence, but I like it anyway.

I really like Three Friends. Very progressive. Reminds me of a mixture of ELP, Nektar and Frank Zappa. Should have a review up in my next update. Now I need to get Octopus (use to have this one on vinyl) and Acquiring the Taste.

Gentle Giant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentle Giant   Gentle Giant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gentle Giant
Page 1 of 1