Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced earth: the glorious burden

Go down 
+14
assault_attack
Thrasher73
corplhicks
MetalRob331
ultmetal
Eyesore
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
Lari
scottmitchell74
Gilbert
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 am

I say, just start from the beginning.

The first album is good, but definitely not their best. You get a good idea though, of where they are trying to go.

Night of the Stormrider rips. It's relentless, and I love that singer--I forget his name.

Once Barlow joins up, everything stays good.
-Burnt Offerings rules
-Dark Saga is probably my favorite
-Something Wicked is excellent (and as mentioned above, accessible)
-Horror Show rips, and is probably my second favorite album
-Days of Purgatory is a fun compilation of Barlow doing vocals for pre-Barlow songs and other odds and ends

But really, just pick any record from Horror Show or before, and let it rip.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 11:23 am

almost no one is mentioning dystopia and plagues of babylon, both of which are excellent.

the new singer is awesome, especially on dystopia.

2 highly recommended albums.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 pm

I agree that once Barlow joined the band they really hit their stride although,oddly,my least favorite album of their's is fronted by him (Dark Saga). The Glorious Burden is fantastic. A really strong album that made me not miss Barlow one bit. Unfortunately,they got a little too symphonic on Framing Armageddon and marred the Owens years. The most recent releases have been top notch,too.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Really good album, but the Gettysburg trilogy is amazing. Read the lyrics and story as the songs plays. It really enhances the songs, which is rare with most concept pieces.

yep. TGB is a great album and one of those I keep coming back too.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm surprised no one called me out earlier when I said that Framing Armageddon preceded TGB. TIL i was wrong; the preceding album is Horror Show. Sorry about the misinformation Gilbert.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:35 pm

no prob bro. I was too lazy to write it.

anyways I am on an IE mode now. ordered my copy of night of the stormrider headbanger
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Very good start!
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 am

corplhicks wrote:
I'm surprised no one called me out earlier when I said that Framing Armageddon preceded TGB. TIL i was wrong; the preceding album is Horror Show. Sorry about the misinformation Gilbert.

I just re-read your post...I don't see any wrong information in it, unless you edited after?

He asked what was the other record to feature Ripper, and you said Framing Armageddon. I don't see where Horror Show fits in to that question? Doesn't really matter, I was just curious.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 am

Yeah I'm not reading anything right. Totally thought his question was what the album was before this. Everyone please disregard my inanity; I'm not very good with these boards when sober. :crazy:
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 am

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned how good of a covers record IE's Tribute to the Gods is.

They slay, and I mean SLAY KISS' "God of Thunder" and "Creatures of the Night." There are other good covers on it as well, but I love those two. It's easily my favorite covers album, and I think I've listened to it as much as any of their proper records.

A lot of the song choices are obvious, but they do a really good job on them all.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned how good of a covers record IE's Tribute to the Gods is.

They slay, and I mean SLAY KISS' "God of Thunder" and "Creatures of the Night." There are other good covers on it as well, but I love those two. It's easily my favorite covers album, and I think I've listened to it as much as any of their proper records.

A lot of the song choices are obvious, but they do a really good job on them all.

IE is good with their covers. I also like their rendition of The Ripper and the most recent, The Highwayman.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iced earth: the glorious burden   Iced earth: the glorious burden - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced earth: the glorious burden
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2