Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you listen to your physical CDs?

Go down 
+45
corplhicks
exact33
Rami Airola
iamrockerfun
DallasBlack
Gilbert
Runicen
exanimate
DakotaRogers
Hadley
James B.
MoonChild
mc666
Citanul
chewie
80s Metal Lady
Thrasher73
Eyesore
Thelemech
rajah
Rex
mlotek
tohostudios
Boris2008
Short-Fuse
scottmitchell74
krokus
bass63
Metal Misfit
Lari
manny
Leatherface
Orion Crystal Ice
Troublezone
Glower
BearOnUnicycle
thejokeriv
Glenn Rogers
ultmetal
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 5:42 pm

It's not an oxymoron but I'll grant you it is redundant.

Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Wow, this has been hilarious! Very Happy

By the way, I think this was the first time I've seen someone actually replying to a bad wordplay joke that it was a bad attempt of a joke.

What comes to listening to CDs, I quite rarely listen to them. When I get a new CD, I spin it a few times on my computer. Some I might listen only once, and some ten or twenty, depending on how good the album is.

After I take it off the CD drive, I'll put it with the rest of my CDs and I rarely pick up anything from there. I'll end up listening to the mp3s. However, on bigger trips on bus or train I have a good selection of CDs with me. I don't have any kind of an mp3 player or iPod or whatever the machines nowadays are. Even my phone is something made in the early 2000's. I'm lucky to even have a clock and a snake game on there. (It's Nokia 3310. Has served me well. It's hyper reliable and doesn't seem to break no matter how many times I drop it.)
I play those CDs with my portable CD player (which, by the way, is so broken that it only lets me play the CDs - I can't skip the songs. I can't rewind or fast forward. I can't even STOP the songs. The only way to stop the player is to take the batteries out Very Happy It's a good thing because that way I HAVE to listen to the fillers too Smile )
If we go to my girlfriend's parents for a week or two, I need some of my beloved music with me, so I'll pick up 10-20 CDs, a set of batteries, and I'm good to go.

But at home, I mostly listen to mp3s.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 6:23 pm

I bet you could find an mp3 player with the price of a set of batteries from huuto.net
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 6:28 pm

I still listen to mine but i do have a lot of music on my phone now.

Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Lari wrote:
I bet you could find an mp3 player with the price of a set of batteries from huuto.net

I don't want one. I had one for a few days but it broke without reason and I never felt the need to buy another.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 10:21 pm

Painkiller wrote:
That's all that needed to be said about them.

Well, I like them. They are one of my favorite bands of all time. To tie them with this thread, they are one of the only bands whose CDs I would not sell when I had to off my collection.

Oh, I do like quite a lot of black metal BTW (though I wouldn't place any of them close to Helloween on music quality, but that's just me).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 12:01 am

Painkiller wrote:
I think it's a waste of money to buy CDs -- just so you can rip them for listening on portable devices.

I would agree but I found a lot my music listening would be during activities (job, chores, lawn work, walks, driving, etc.) and lugging CDs around was a pain and it put them in danger of getting damaged, misplaced, etc. Also, I was hoping to have a decent living where I would have my CDs displayed in a certain order and putting one on the player, but that never happened. Space was limited and I had to rip the music to clear it up and eventually the portable devices became more convenient. I love the physical product but life has not worked out well enough for me to use them exclusively.

The main reason I never stopped buying CDs was that it became more of a collecting thing. Buying music online or downloading it is boring and predictable. It's easy to find and get what you want and you can sample the music before buying. CD shopping is fun and unpredictable. Going to all the CD shops you could find (new and used, but in recent years mostly used) digging through endless trash to find the treasures you've been looking for. Seeing something that looked cool and you tried it out to see if it lived up to expectations (otherwise known as a blind buy). Sometimes it was crap and you wasted your money, and other times you find a new favorite and it was worth every penny. For me it was the best of both worlds. I could enjoy the thrill of the chase and have the physical product and at the same time rip the CD and take the music within everywhere and conveniently.

Alas, I can no longer afford to do it and by the time I can, there's a good possibility that even the used CD places will have disappeared
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 12:04 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I listen in just about every format one can without having 8-tracks or Edison cylinders.

Bah! Pozer! Edison cylinders are the only tr00 way to listen to arkayne steele ehehehehehehe! tr00

What he said!  Smile 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 12:23 am

A. Love CD's and vinyl, proud to be a collector.

B. My only real chance to listen to music is while driving, so to keep things safe I store most of my music on my phone's SIM and stream it bluetooth to my deck. I tried handling a couple wallets of CD's or bringing a few with me; it's not worth the risk.

C. The other reason I rip my shit is to keep it on backup in case the disc goes poof. Plus if I ever trade the disc I have a nice, legal (?) copy that I can always return to.

D. I certainly don't look down on anyone who chooses to download music rather then purchase the CD's, as long as it is done legally. If you pirate music like I used to, wise up like I did.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 12:42 am

corplhicks wrote:

C. The other reason I rip my shit is to keep it on backup in case the disc goes poof. Plus if I ever trade the disc I have a nice, legal (?) copy that I can always return to.

D. I certainly don't look down on anyone who chooses to download music rather then purchase the CD's, as long as it is done legally. If you pirate music like I used to, wise up like I did.

I can assure you that copying a disc you own is completely legal. You can make one billion copies if you'd like and still be within the law.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 1:18 am

Painkiller wrote:
James B. wrote:

How's this one ?
This one is funnier:

Painkiller: *Lengthy post about a subject*
James B.: *Ignorant reply and overuse of :lmao:emoticons in an attempt at making the person he's replying to look stupid, but doesn't realize that it's just his inner butthurtery setting in (over an opinion he doesn't like)*

Laughing very hardLaughing very hardLaughing very hardLaughing very hardLaughing very hard:

Maybe if you had as much passion for humor as you do for metal, that might be funny.

Here's some more.....(In my best Jeff Foxworthy impersonation)

"If you name drop 10 or more death metal bands in a thread about the usage of a  certain media format....you might be a Painkiller"

"If opinion and fact have no difference whatsoever in your thought process....you might be a Painkiller"

"If saying any other band could have done what this/that band did 30 years ago is the go to rebuttal to older metal heads that fail to understand how much better music is out there today....you might be a Painkiller"

and my personal favorite...

"If you think Green Day is an EMO band....you might be a Painkiller"

which leaves us with this...
"If James B. uses this emoticon Laughing very hard in a thread, it is because he laughs at his own jokes and not because he is trying to make somebody else look stupid"

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 1:28 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 1:35 am

Painkiller wrote:
Keep at it with those. One day, you'll be a D-list celebrity.

Much better than taking myself way too serious

Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 1:57 am

I don't listen to my physical copies anymore, because it is convenient for me to just listen to it on the computer or my MP3 player, plus I don't have to worry about extra wear on the CD from all the hours spent spinning the damn things anymore.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 3:24 am

Since I only have to drive about 15 minutes to get to work, I only take one CD with me each day. I rarely listen to more than 4 of the CDs I own in a given week. I listen to a great deal more music on my computer.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 3:31 am

Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I can assure you that copying a disc you own is completely legal.  You can make one billion copies if you'd like and still be within the law.  

Right on. Smile
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 12:13 pm

I think one of the advantages of digital is you can put all those extra edition tracks bands seem to love to release on different editions in one place.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 6:47 pm

If I didn't listen to them there wouldn't be a reason to buy any. I'd just buy from iTunes instead.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 2:50 am

exact33 wrote:
I think one of the advantages of digital is you can put all those extra edition tracks bands seem to love to release on different editions in one place.

That's definitely true. There have been a few cases where I've bought just the bonus tracks off iTunes which I've then added to the digital copy of the album I already have. It's no longer necessary to make a decision as to whether it's worth buying a whole album containing songs you already own just to get the couple you don't.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 11:44 pm

No. I stopped listening to physical CDs around the time I bought my first ipod circa 2006 (which was/still is an 80gb 'video' ipod). Until not so long ago, every CD I purchased I would rip to my computer and upload it onto my ipod.

I say until recently because even ripping CDs and uploading songs onto the ipod has become redundant. The reality is, I no longer buy CDs. The last time I bought a CD was over a year ago and in the course of the last year, since June 2013, I haven't bought music of any type of physical format. I have abandoned the idea of being a 'music collector' and have opted to experience all my music via Spotify. I know it's an unpopular move around here but for me I find this to be the most cost, time and space efficient way of continuing to enjoy and discover new music (not necessarily new releases but also music that I wouldn't have experienced otherwise).

Nowadays, all I need to experience my music is my iphone and the spotify app w/ a preimum subscription.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:16 am

Music listening has evolved in some interesting ways for me. I'm definitely down with everyone who talks about the pain of CD binders and the like. I had this glorious idea back in high school that I would never keep an original CD in my car, so I bought a huge case logic binder and would burn CDs as I bought them. This worked out beautifully until I had to contend with a huge collection that would require my trunk be full of those binders in order for a title to be present and things like having disc 1 of a 2 disc set end up scratched and unplayable because I'd left the binder open on the floor of the passenger seat and somehow road gravel got in the car and rubbed lovingly on the label side of the CD... Granted, I was glad it happened to a BURN and not an original.

At this point, I'm rather pleased to be ripping everything to FLAC (or ALAC for iPod purposes), which gives me immense portability without loss of sound quality. What can I say? I'm a little anal about these things. It's a different thread altogether, but there is definitely an audible difference between MP3 and FLAC in most music (though not all). Remembering to grab an iPod and a connector cable before heading out the door is easy as hell and the theft issue that I was attempting to mitigate by only having CD-Rs in the car is easily rectified by just not leaving my iPod in the car.

That said, I'm still quite pleased to keep buying the hard copies for several reasons: It's a guaranteed way to financially support (in however small a way) an artist whose work I enjoy, it's a guaranteed backup if a hard drive or iPod ever craps the bed, and there are no cost-effective ways to buy lossless music. HDTracks and sites like it charge a premium for something intangible and I can't get behind paying what I would pay on the HIGH end for a physical CD for something that can just *poof* away. Now, if ever the digital releases in FLAC become universal and there are cloud-based permanent storage solutions like Amazon's auto-rip for them, I might be inclined to change my habits, but I do like seeing all those little cases lined up on the shelves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you listen to your physical CDs?   Do you listen to your physical CDs? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you listen to your physical CDs?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4