Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?

Go down 
+20
thejokeriv
exanimate
Thrasher73
Eyesore
mc666
onrypt
corplhicks
Lari
Vexer6
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
krokus
MetalRob331
ZombieHavoc
scottmitchell74
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
ElectricEye93
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:39 am

007 wrote:
I'd say it's metal just not a type I enjoy.

Agree
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:51 am

Vexer6 wrote:

It depends on which bands you listen to, some like "Hogan's Heroes" "Earth Crisis" and "Integrity" are influenced by Hardcore Punk, whereas bands like Underoath, Devil Wears Prada and Killswitch Engage lean more towards metal.

Earth Crisis and Integrity aren't influenced by hardcore/punk. They spent the best days of their existence as actual hardcore bands.

Granted, they are not actual hardcore bands now. But I cannot lump them in with metalcore.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Gilbert wrote:
onrypt wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't know enough about the genre to make the call one way or another. All I know is it seems to be made by people a lot younger and angrier than I am and it's got them WOOOOAAARRRRGH vox I don't like. Get off my lawn ya dang angry kids. (shakes cane)
 lol! 
yeah, I'm old(er) too and couldn't agree more…….

very true. Kids today go for loud and angry music.

they do not care about melodies and solos.
And throughout the history of recorded music, that's what old people always say. Be it Jimi Hendrix or Metallica. "Damn kids today only listen to the Lead Zeppelins and all that other loud and angry music!"
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Metalcore is metal, though it's a very broad genre, like nu-metal, where one metalcore band can be vastly different from another. This just becomes argument fodder for the close-minded. Either way, it's definitely metal.

Wasn't trying to come off as a close-minded elitist. Just thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

I don't care if someone calls metalcore a subgenre of heavy metal, but for some of these metalcore bands and fans to try to say they are not "metalcore" and should just be described as "metal", such as in the case of my initial post, then they are not. To me when someone says, "heavy metal" I think Maiden, Dio, Priest, Armored Saint, etc. When I then hear something that sounds like "Wooooaaaaargh!" I think, "nope, that is not heavy metal. That's metalcore."

Hope that makes sense.  Very Happy 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 6:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Metalcore is metal, though it's a very broad genre, like nu-metal, where one metalcore band can be vastly different from another. This just becomes argument fodder for the close-minded. Either way, it's definitely metal.

Wasn't trying to come off as a close-minded elitist. Just thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

I don't care if someone calls metalcore a subgenre of heavy metal, but for some of these metalcore bands and fans to try to say they are not "metalcore" and should just be described as "metal", such as in the case of my initial post, then they are not. To me when someone says, "heavy metal" I think Maiden, Dio, Priest, Armored Saint, etc. When I then hear something that sounds like "Wooooaaaaargh!" I think, "nope, that is not heavy metal. That's metalcore."

Not you! I am a fan of your site. I know you're not close-minded. =)

Anyway, I get what you're saying. It's tough, though, because "heavy metal" has become a catch-all genre; it's the trunk of the tree, so to speak, and everything else just branches off of that. I also think of bands like Maiden and Dio when I think of heavy metal, but it seems like these days that's referred to as either "classic" or "traditional" heavy metal.

It's all rather stupid either way. =)
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 6:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

You were brought up in a different era of Heavy Metal. I've found that most of the younger metal fans are into the br00tal metal  Laughing very hard  they don't care about Maiden, Priest, Dio, Sabbath, etc. They care about bands being HEAVY AS FK!!
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 7:39 pm

This is what used to be known as metalcore:
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Short-Fuse wrote:

That's the thing, though; this kind of music was never known as metalcore. It certainly was a mix of metal and hardcore and the term "metalcore" fits it perfectly, but metalcore was coined for bands like Killswitch Engage and whatnot.

Last edited by Eyesore on Fri May 09, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Short-Fuse wrote:

It was known as Crossover, never metalcore. I like a lot of metal, I think a lot of metal sucks, but I do know that it has to keep changing to survive as a viable art form. I don't have to like what some 15 year old likes, it's metal if enough people say it is.

It's now the point in the discussion when I do this

Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:10 pm

I'd call it a case by case basis. Certain bands like Shadows Fall or All That Remains are closer to the side of metal, while bands like The Acacia Strain are little more than hardcore bands with lower guitar tuning and growled vocals instead of typical shouts.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Short-Fuse wrote:

That's the thing, though; this kind of music was never known as metalcore. It certainly was a mix of metal and hardcore and the term "metalcore" fits it perfectly, but metalcore was coined for bands like Killswitch Engage and whatnot.
Actually, you're wrong. Here's a scan from Thrash Metal Photo Spectacular 1988 page 33:Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 971906_556365074484268_1929661169354526230_n Read half way down, The term was clearely in use in 1988. I have a whole collection of these mags. If I can find more examples I'll scan and post  Wink
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Not a genre I enjoy but it is certainly metal. The genre has morphed, changed, etc its hard to tell what metal means or ever meant
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 10:11 pm

Short-Fuse wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Short-Fuse wrote:

Actually, you're wrong. Here's a scan from Thrash Metal Photo Spectacular 1988 page 33:Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 971906_556365074484268_1929661169354526230_n Read half way down, The term was clearely in use in 1988. I have a whole collection of these mags. If I can find more examples I'll scan and post  Wink

Well, f*ck me. I never heard that term until the late 90s/early 2000s.

Although this article seems to have written it in a way to mention two styles at once--"metal/(hard)core"--rather than using it as a genre label.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?   Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Metalcore a form of heavy metal?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3