Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?

Go down 
+15
rajah
nevermore
Runicen
Citanul
Thrasher73
martinsane
Temple of Blood
corplhicks
ultmetal
Metal Misfit
Witchfinder
MetalRob331
Shawn Of Fire
ZombieHavoc
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Apart from some GOOD moments found on the first two albums, I never quite understood what it was that made this band really worth the time. I always hated Vince Neil's voice; in his "prime", he sounded like some teenaged hooker inhaling some helium.

I'm glad they're retiring. Don't go away with another moneygrubbing tour (just go away).

I can't really say specifically what made the band so great to me (and a million other kids in the 80s). Something about them, particularly the first 3, seemed so much rawer and grittier and glammier and fantastical then even the most made up glittery bands of the time.

And I did say first 3. People overlook Theater so much, and just cite the first 2 as being the best stuff. Theater, aside from the singles, is such a continuation of Shout, to my ears. It's raw as hell--again, aside from the singles, particularly Home Sweet Home.

Girls even still sounds raw to me, and I don't really get why fans of the first 2 write it off. Feelgood, even though I like it, I get where people are coming from. It was so much more commercial at that point, and way less raw.

After Feelgood, I like the new stuff on Decadence, and that's it for me. I don't get the cult following Crue 94 has obtained. I've tried to get into it in recent years with an open mind, but I just don't like the music. Corabi's vocals are fine, but the music is just not my thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Apart from some GOOD moments found on the first two albums, I never quite understood what it was that made this band really worth the time. I always hated Vince Neil's voice; in his "prime", he sounded like some teenaged hooker inhaling some helium.

I'm glad they're retiring. Don't go away with another moneygrubbing tour (just go away).

Eh, I guess you had to be there to appreciate them. They were the perfect soundtrack to 80's over-indulgence. drunken 

Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 3:56 pm

I can definitely think of some other bands that are that way as well. I really does make you wonder why they came together in the first place... lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Scanner rules.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Painkiller wrote:
They sure do. Hypertrace is quite the German power metal masterpiece, if you ask me. This is one of my favorite songs:

Love that tune.

I bought Hypertrace on vinyl about 10 years ago or so, for a quarter at a local record shop. I played the hell out of it. Then I sold my whole record collection.

I was bummed when I found the CD was out of print and expensive, and was equally overjoyed when Divebomb reissued it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Wow, that went from water to oil real quick.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 10:21 am

Painkiller wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eh, I guess you had to be there to appreciate them. They were the perfect soundtrack to 80's over-indulgence. drunken 
Well, I grew up in a time where Nirvana and Rammstein were at their biggest, but I always preferred better bands from before: Chastain, Savage Grace, Attacker, Pretty Maids (first two albums), Nevermore (band from New York), Attila, Jaguar, Cloven Hoof, Fates Warning (with John Arch), Jag Panzer, Vicious Rumors, Tyrant (both the Los Angeles band and the band from Germany), Liege Lord, Witchkiller, Manilla Road, Omen, Heavy Load, Gotham City, 220 Volt, Torch, Warlord, Glacier, Gargoyle, Sanctuary (first album), Riot, WWIII, Powersurge, Malice, Mania, Scanner, Helloween (with Kai Hansen on vocals), Running Wild (ESPECIALLY the "black metal" era), Attack, Exumer, Holy Terror, Death Squad, Sadus, Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, Artillery, Coroner, Demolition Hammer, Hallows Eve, Nasty Savage, Warfare, Atomkraft, Sabbat (the Japanese band), Bulldozer, Prowler, Sortilège, ADX, Warning, High Power, etc.

Judging from your profile age, I would have guessed more along the lines of the Glenn Miller Orchestra or some Benny Goodman.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 10:37 am

Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 395375 headbanger CAB F***ING CALLOWAY!!!!!!  headbanger \'arry \'eadbanger Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 604261 Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 875605 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 10:43 am

Runicen wrote:
 Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 395375 headbanger CAB F***ING CALLOWAY!!!!!!  headbanger \'arry \'eadbanger Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 604261 Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 875605 

Bow down to the Reefer Man!! He's the cat's pajamas, daddy-o! The bee's knees, kitty-cat!!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 10:51 am

By the thread title I thought this was going to be about some of the "terrible" things they copped to in the The Dirt book.  I've often wondered how/why Mick didn't slaughter the rest of them in their sleep.  I can't decide which was worse the stuff they did or the fact that they readily admit to doing it in a book.

While it wasn't something I liked at all, I was surprised M.O.M wasn't bigger given the musical climate it was released in.  I'm sure some of that was backlash of Tommy Lee being considered a "80's metal" guy.

I'm a big fan of all eras of Crue.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 10:54 am

jstate wrote:
By the thread title I thought this was going to be about some of the "terrible" things they copped to in the The Dirt book.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that. I thought it was going to be some kind of rant about what terrible individuals that all are (maybe not Mick), not their solo efforts.  Laughing 

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:04 am

tr00 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Maybe this one won't be so bad... Razz 
Quote :
Smashing Pumpkins have enlisted Motley Crue legend Tommy Lee for the band's upcoming ninth album.

Frontman Billy Corgan posted a photo of him in a recording studio with Lee on Wednesday and revealed the drummer will perform on all nine tracks slated to appear on the band's next record, "Monument to an Elegy." Alongside the image, uploaded to the band's official website, Corgan writes, "Here's a shot from the mission out west. Just finished round 1 of tracking drums with Tommy Lee for the new The Smashing Pumpkins album. Shockla-locka-boom. Yes, that T Lee for all 9 songs of 'Monument To An Elegy.'"

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Smashing Pumpkins have enlisted Motley Crue legend Tommy Lee for the band's upcoming ninth album.

Frontman Billy Corgan posted a photo of him in a recording studio with Lee on Wednesday and revealed the drummer will perform on all nine tracks slated to appear on the band's next record, "Monument to an Elegy." Alongside the image, uploaded to the band's official website, Corgan writes, "Here's a shot from the mission out west. Just finished round 1 of tracking drums with Tommy Lee for the new The Smashing Pumpkins album. Shockla-locka-boom. Yes, that T Lee for all 9 songs of 'Monument To An Elegy.'"

Well, so much for Corgan reconnecting to the plot...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Runicen wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Well, so much for Corgan reconnecting to the plot...  

Can't say I'm a fan of the Pumpkins myself, but I've always been under the impression that it's basically the Billy Corgan Show, at least over the last few years. He does all the writing, arranging, etc., gets a little help in the studio, then calls it a Smashing Pumpkin album. Kinda like Trent Reznor and NIN. There hasn't been a formal "band" since they broke up in the late 90's(?), has there?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Can't say I'm a fan of the Pumpkins myself, but I've always been under the impression that it's basically the Billy Corgan Show, at least over the last few years. He does all the writing, arranging, etc., gets a little help in the studio, then calls it a Smashing Pumpkin album. Kinda like Trent Reznor and NIN. There hasn't been a formal "band" since they broke up in the late 90's(?), has there?

He pulls the whole, "The CURRENT linup of the Pumpkins is..." thing. Basically, it's the band so long as I say it is. That's not the issue though. The guy is like Neil Young in that he issues all these proclamations about what he's doing and then... nothing.

Then, when something completely different comes out, people are torqued because he was talking up some idea or other and he just goes, "Well, I'm an artist and people just don't get my arty artistry of artiness."

I love Mellon Collie and Adore. Both were formative teenage albums for me, but it just feels like he's committed the cardinal sin of creativity of trying to live up to what he THINKS people see in him instead of just doing what he does. It's like artist ego inception.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Ah, gotchya. Carry on then.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:37 am

I can't confirm this beyond some things I've read from fans to keep up on this more than others, but it really does sound like the original lineup of the band brought some unconventional stuff to the table. Apparently, the bassist (who seldom actually played on the albums because Corgan is THAT much of a perfectionist) was the person who could go to Billy and say, "You need to cut that song. It sucks." and he would listen. Considering how sort of meandering SP albums have been since she left, that story kind of bears out.

I don't specifically know what the others brought in, but stories like that kind of make me wonder if it wasn't something a little harder to pin down than, "We're amazing musicians," or "We write half the good songs." Now that the band is all whoever Corgan wants in at that time, the sense is that he's traded up, but not necessarily upgraded the setup. He probably NEEDS some checks on his muse - enough to let him be ambitious but to keep him honest if he oversteps.

Hell, I'm sure we could start a thread on musicians who just need to be told to cram it once in a while to keep making good art...
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:33 am

I think Tommy Lee will fit right in with what Corgan wants the Smashing Pumpkins to sound like these days. Aren't they doing a double album? So I'd assume the big and bombastic stuff with all the hooks will be the one Tommy plays on.

I don't know their true contributions but I always felt something got lost once Iha and D'Arcy were no longer involved. I'd rank Gish as a potential desert island disc. Kinda hit or miss for me after that.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 11:11 am

I've been aquainting myself with the discography pre-Mellon Collie with the deluxe reissues they've been doing. Surprisingly, the one I really dug was Pisces Iscariot, the weird B-Sides and assorted disc. Flawed re-release there, but a lot of really cool material made a lot better by how much range there was to it.

Gish I'm still working on...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2