Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?

Go down 
+15
rajah
nevermore
Runicen
Citanul
Thrasher73
martinsane
Temple of Blood
corplhicks
ultmetal
Metal Misfit
Witchfinder
MetalRob331
Shawn Of Fire
ZombieHavoc
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Empty
PostSubject: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 11:19 am

I had a random thought this morning that lead me down a deep well of ridiculousness.

On the way to work, Tommy Lee's Methods of Mayhem popped into my head. The idea of it. I'd never heard them, at all, but I knew they sucked. I listened to two songs today on Spotify that confirmed this.

The Crue was one of my favorite bands growing up, but aside from Vince Neil's first solo record, which was not bad, the dudes from the band put out so much bad stuff....it makes me wonder how they ever came together to record anything good?

The M.O.M. stuff, Tommy's solo albums, the Brides of Destruction and Sixx AM, plus Vince's, uh, industrial? album. So bad.

My opinion, of course.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 11:23 am

Sixx AM is pretty decent...of course, Nikki doesn't write it all himself.

I assume when you say Vince's "Industrial" album, you're referring to 'Carved In Stone' which, at most, is a rock record with a couple of drum loops? It's not like he suddenly sounded like Skinny Puppy.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 11:24 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I assume when you say Vince's "Industrial" album, you're referring to 'Carved In Stone' which, at most, is a rock record with a couple of drum loops? It's not like he suddenly sounded like Skinny Puppy.

Yeah, I was exaggerating. But whatever genre or whatever, that record, to my ears, is unlistenable.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 11:28 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Yeah, I was exaggerating. But whatever genre or whatever, that record, to my ears, is unlistenable.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't all that good.

I think Crue is an example of chemistry....ie, the whole being better than the parts.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 11:51 am

I love me some DJ Ashba so therefore I like Sixx AM a lot. Some killer hard rock songs in there!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 11:58 am

I nominate this thread title for a "Best Thread Title Ever" award.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Nikki Sixx does well outside of Crue. I like Sixx AM a lot and loved their last album.

Mick does nothing that I know of other than the occasional guest spot on an album.

Vince's cover album was good but I would be very skeptical if he was doing an album of original songs. His first solo album was okay.

But, yes, Tommy is terrible outside of Crue. I think we can all agree on that (though I did like "Hold Me Down" from his solo album). Razz
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I nominate this thread title for a "Best Thread Title Ever" award.

Seconded. Heh.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 2:18 pm

Didnt' care for Sixx AM.

The best Crue was their first album. It had chemistry, it had hooks, it was raw and nasty, it was over-the-top. The follow-up was good as well. After that it was really hit or miss for me.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Vince's first solo album was incredibly fun, and having Stevens on board was a massive plus. In fact, I'd venture to say that it was better than anything Crue put out since after Shout (and before Corabi, of course).
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 8:40 pm

This is true for most any established band ... the individual members can't seem to do anything great on their own.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:46 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
I love me some DJ Ashba so therefore I like Sixx AM a lot.  Some killer hard rock songs in there!  

I think Ashba with Beautiful Creatures was better...

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 2:30 am

Sixx A.M wasn't too bad IMO.Nikki is the sole talent in the Crüe.At least in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 5:35 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
This is true for most any established band ... the individual members can't seem to do anything great on their own.

I agree - there really aren't too many bands that have spawned multiple successful solo careers. The Beatles spring to mind immediately, and Genesis did pretty well for themselves with Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and to a much lesser degree, Steve Hackett.

Maybe the Eagles would count as well, although I think most of Joe Walsh's success came before he joined the band. But I'm definitely struggling to think of any others.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 7:56 am

Some classic bands also have the chicken/egg problem with solo projects.

I love the solo albums the members of Queen put out, for example, but one has to ask if ANY of them would have gotten one 45rpm single released on a major label if they couldn't slap a "JIMMY MALONEY FROM THAT BIG FREAKIN' BAND!" sticker on the front of the sleeve.

Hey, music's the richer for it, but once you've been in a huge band, you'll always be in the shadow of that, for better or worse. Worse if it turns out you're the big band's musical waterboy under scrutiny...
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 9:20 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I think Crue is an example of chemistry....ie, the whole being better than the parts.

This reason.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 9:34 am

I've only heard Vince's first solo album and think it's pretty good. I have no interest in anything else from the other members.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 10:06 am

There are definitely a number of bands whose members are incapable of doing anything good outside of the band.

But there are quite a few bands whose members put out solo or side project stuff I like. Most of it isn't commercially successful, but we all know that doesn't mean a thing.

So like, Poison members put out a bunch of junk, except Rikki's glam cover albums was fun.

And the Sex Pistols, oddly, turned out a bunch of dudes who would put out a lot more music with bands I liked. PiL was the most successful, but the one I like the least (though I do like them). Steve Jones and Paul Cook did a lot of cool stuff. Glen Matlock, too. I even like the repeatedly released cover songs stuff that Sid did.

But then like Kiss, I mean, Gene's stuff blows, Peter has an ok song here or there, Paul's solo record is weirdly highly regarded, but I don't like it all. So that leaves Ace, who, in my opinion, never stopped ruling. Love all of his solo stuff.
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:03 pm

Citanul wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I agree - there really aren't too many bands that have spawned multiple successful solo careers.  The Beatles spring to mind immediately, and Genesis did pretty well for themselves with Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and to a much lesser degree, Steve Hackett.

Maybe the Eagles would count as well, although I think most of Joe Walsh's success came before he joined the band.  But I'm definitely struggling to think of any others.
 Ozzy comes to mind. Maybe Ronnie James Dio, Robert Plant or Udo. Does not happen very much.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Nikki Sixx does well outside of Crue. I like Sixx AM a lot and loved their last album.

Mick does nothing that I know of other than the occasional guest spot on an album.

Vince's cover album was good but I would be very skeptical if he was doing an album of original songs. His first solo album was okay.

But, yes, Tommy is terrible outside of Crue. I think we can all agree on that (though I did like "Hold Me Down" from his solo album). Razz

I'd agree with most of this. I'd love to hear a solo album from Mick. He's been hinting at one for years now. And Tommy should only be allowed behind his Motley drum kit.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Zeppelin did well.....
Page solo, Death Wish 2 soundtrack, The Firm Page/Coverdale, and Page w/ Black Crowes
Plant solo, The Honeydrippers, Plant/Allison Krauss, Band Of Joy, and Sensational Space Shifters
Jones did some solo stuff, session work, and Them Crooked Vultures

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:47 pm

James B. wrote:
Zeppelin did well.....
Page solo, Death Wish 2 soundtrack, The Firm Page/Coverdale, and Page w/ Black Crowes
Plant solo, The Honeydrippers, Plant/Allison Krauss, Band Of Joy, and Sensational Space Shifters

True, all of these exist, but none of these projects came close to the greatness of the original band. I think that's what the original poster was going for here.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Zeppelin did well.....

True, all of these exist, but none of these projects came close to the greatness of the original band. I think that's what the original poster was going for here.
Yeah, I see what you mean.  Totally agree they exist but not as great.

It's still subjective.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:13 pm

rajah wrote:
Citanul wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I agree - there really aren't too many bands that have spawned multiple successful solo careers.  The Beatles spring to mind immediately, and Genesis did pretty well for themselves with Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and to a much lesser degree, Steve Hackett.

Maybe the Eagles would count as well, although I think most of Joe Walsh's success came before he joined the band.  But I'm definitely struggling to think of any others.
 Ozzy comes to mind. Maybe Ronnie James Dio, Robert Plant or Udo. Does not happen very much.

Those are just single members of a band going on to have successful solo careers. It's not like the other band members did much on their own, and I was trying to come up with bands who had more than one member do well outside of the band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?   Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are the individual members of Motley Crue so terrible?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next