Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recommend me some punk!

Go down 
+16
jstate
martinsane
Eyesore
Witchfinder
James B.
corplhicks
brokentulsa
tohostudios
manny
MetalRob331
Runicen
chewie
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
TheGreatDuck
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Here's some more obscure punk:

Interesting fact: Mike Stone, ex-Queensryche guitarist, was the singer/guitarist of Klover. It's an excellent album.

Wow.  I have this album but haven't spun it in ages.  I remember really diggin' it when I got it though.

I love it. It's one of those unsung gems. They released a 7" EP, too, but other than that...nothing. =(

Mike Stone is actually quite gifted. He's done punk, metal, rock, blues, he's got a jazz trio going right now.

Without looking it up, what I remember about Klover is that most of the band members belonged to some Cali hardcore punk outfit so this was a departure from their normal fare.

EDIT: OK so now I looked it up. Forget the SoCal part. What I was remembering was that the guitarist was part of Gang Green; a band that sounds nothing like Klover.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:44 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Without looking it up, what I remember about Klover is that most of the band members belonged to some Cali hardcore punk outfit so this was a departure from their normal fare.

Oh yeah? I know little about them. Hell, it was a long time before I realized it was the same Mike Stone. I found the CD in Boston, Nuggets, for $2. By that time I'm pretty sure the band had already come and gone.

Curious to know what band they were in before, though.

On a similar note, check this out:

Before he died, Jason Thirsk from Pennywise was in this band. The singer went on to form Kottonmouth Kings, who are mostly a hip hop band. They're really good at mixing that with punk.

One of my favorite hip hop groups. Though I suspect few here will dig them.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 8:18 am

I used to be all about Sublime and Operation Ivy ....till I heard the Kottonmouth Kings.  

This thread has gone on way too long without mention of one of my favorites MDC.  Just go and get Metal Devil Cokes now!

My best advice for a metal fan looking to get into punk is to look toward the acts that musically have a very metal based sound.  I loved that time in the 80's when all those punk bands decided they maybe were actually metal bands too.  Can't go wrong with things like The Exploited or Broken Bones.

My biggest problem with a lot of punk is the too short song lengths.  So many great albums that clock in at barely twenty minutes.  I'm always like "can't you add another minute or two".  Throw a repeated chorus in there or something.  OFF! of recent times is the big offender of this.  Killer songs that only go 50 seconds.  I get the notions behind why that is - but still drives me crazy.

Oh and can't have a punk thread without mentioning the greatness of Fugazi (go get Steady Diet Of Nothing now!), Scream (No More Censorship), and Nation Of Ulysses (13 Point Program To Destroy America).  I was lucky to grow up around the DC scene.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:32 pm

This just my opinion, but I feel like you should really absorb the 69-79 stuff first. And then move into the 80s.

So you have the Pistols, Clash and Ramones. Excellent start.

-Look into The Boys. They are spectacular. Four albums, all brilliant.
-Nipple Erectors- Shane McGowan of the Pogues, and it's infectious.
-The Dictators- the middle point between The Stooges and The Ramones, I'd say. And Ross the Boss was in the band.
-The Stooges- quintessential.
-Death. Not the metal band, but the mid-70s proto-punk band.
Those are my favorites from the era, but other good bands include The Vibrators, Buzzcocks, The Scavengers, Slaughter & the Dogs, Cock Sparrer, The Depressions, Eater, The Saints...too many to list really.

The 80s:
-BAD BRAINS!!!!!
-The Misfits/Samhain
-Suicidal Tendencies
-Zero Boys
-Stalag 13
-Decry
-Bad Religion
-Fang
-TSOL
-Black Flag
-Agent Orange
-Angry Samoans
-Meatmen
-Wasted Youth
(this list really is endless)

And on the more hardcore side of things
Sick of it All, Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, and Gorilla Biscuits are a good place to start.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Quote :

I saw the documentary about them ("A Band Called Death") on Netflix a few months back. Fascinating stuff!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I saw the documentary about them ("A Band Called Death") on Netflix a few months back. Fascinating stuff!

I still haven't seen that yet. No excuse since it's on Netflix.

Also, I forgot to include Murphy's Law. Essential.

And on the current side of things, check out Night Birds. I don't think I'd been as excited about hearing a punk/hardcore band for the first time since first hearing Minor Threat as a kid.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:28 pm

The Plasmatics!  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Skimmed through the lists, and didn't see this one mentioned:

Gary Numan's early work with Tubeway Army.

Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 5:39 am

Not to start a debate - but if you want some true "punk" and not just "punk rock music" - check out the 60's Jamaican Ska/Rock Steady scene. The Wailers were as punk as it gets, in my book, during that period.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 5:40 am

And Eddie Cochran, for the original "punk rock music".
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 10:12 am

Would these be to punk what Mercyful Fate is to black metal? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend me some punk!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2