Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recommend me some punk!

Go down 
+16
jstate
martinsane
Eyesore
Witchfinder
James B.
corplhicks
brokentulsa
tohostudios
manny
MetalRob331
Runicen
chewie
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
TheGreatDuck
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Recommend me some punk! Empty
PostSubject: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 8:37 am

Despite being a rock and metal fan for several years now, I never really went out to explore the punk genre. Knowing the members of these boards possess a vast knowledge of many genres, I figured some of you guys might help me with some recs. Very Happy

I'd like to start with the classics, i.e. '70s & '80s punk. So far, I only know the big three - Ramones, The Clash and Sex Pistols, that is. I dig the first two, even though I'm only superficially familiar with them. Pistols I actually still have to hear (might have heard Anarchy and God Save before, but can't remember them anymore). Even though some people seem to think they mostly just had cultural importance while their music wasn't that good. :? Otherwise, I don't know much about the genre

So yeah, I hope local punk experts notice this thread and post their favorites.
Feel free to drown me with as many Youtube links as you like. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 8:43 am

First, buy anything with the Ramones name on it. Very Happy

People seem to think that the Sex Pistols have this huge body of work but in truth they only released one studio album (Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols) so if you pick that up you're pretty much good to go. There are tons 'n' tons of other Pistols albums that were made up of live tracks, demos, singles, alternate versions, etc., etc.

I also dig the Misfits (both the Danzig and Graves eras) - look into Walk Among Us or the Legacy of Brutality comp (Danzig) and/or American Psycho and Famous Monsters (Graves).

You might also like the Anti-Nowhere League (best known for "So What," which Metallica covered for a B-side many moons ago).

Sorry, I'm on my cell phone so I can't post any YouTubes.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 8:56 am

As FF mentioned, get the only real Sex Pistols album. Also pick up Dead Kennedys (all time classic punk, especially the first 2 albums and EP (Fresh Fruit, In God We Trust, Inc., Plastic Surgery Disasters)

Throw in some Black Flag, early Suicidal Tendencies, Circle Jerks and The Clash and you're good to go.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:13 am

Social Distortion, New York Dolls, Misfits and Ramones. That's all I got.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:14 am

Minor Threat
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am

Far from an expert, but I have recently been digging on The Stranglers. The early stuff is a bit simpler, with some really weird drug-influenced concept albums about aliens influencing human history coming later.

They were a punkish band with a good keyboard player and some of the lines he added to their songs were both awesome and kind of funny.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:33 am

Bad Religion (can't go wrong with any of their music, although I personally love their late 80's early 90's material the most) The albums I listed below are the ones I would start with. They don't have a bad album IMO.

No Control (1989)
Against the Grain (1990)
Generator (1992)
Recipe for Hate (1993)
Stranger than Fiction (1994) THEIR MASTERPIECE
The Gray Race (1996)

Pennywise (One of the more well known punk acts of the 90's and for good reason. They have some stellar albums in that 90's period, mainly their debut and About Time)

Lagwagon (One of the first punk bands I discovered that almost has a sort of Prog approach to their music. The album Trashed is a must own and reminds me of Rush if they were a punk band hahah)

One of my fav punk songs ever!!

Some others I really enjoy are

Snuff
Bad Brains (slight hardcore sound)
Rancid

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 am

Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollocks, its not only iconic but still sounds killer
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 am

Like metal, punk has many forms. I tend to like the more melodic punk (aka "power pop" back in the day) but I also like some stuff like Dead Kennedys. So, in addition to what's already been mentioned:

Celtic punk:
Dropkick Murphys
Real McKenzies
Flogging Molly

Melodic punk:
Face To Face
Swingin' Utters
Ann Berretta
Screeching Weasel
The Queers
Radio Stars
The Boys
Towers Of London
The F Ups
Buzzcocks
Soho Roses
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Descendents
Offspring
Green Day
Suicide Machines
Less Than Jake
Pulley
Alkaline Trio

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 12:33 pm

The Ramones
Circle Jerks
Lust Control
the cramps
Iggy Pop
patti smith
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yes, Social D is an absolute must have. It's the law.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:04 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yes, Social D is an absolute must have. It's the law.

I love their version of Ring Of Fire.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:22 pm

I was gonna mention early Offspring, but I just found out they are EMO Laughing very hard 

Dead Kennedys
The Germs
Black Flag
Joy Division

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Did I mention the Plasmatics in my earlier post? If not, I did now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I almost tossed them in my short list

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Discharge

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

When I was typing my response, I almost put them in.... but I figured you already had - lol!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Here's some more obscure punk:

Interesting fact: Mike Stone, ex-Queensryche guitarist, was the singer/guitarist of Klover. It's an excellent album.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Some more:

I don't know much about Blount. I played a show with them when I was stationed in Arkansas. They were cool cool dudes, and Trauma is a great album.

Sadly, these guys only ever released a 2-track EP. It's the band Brett Gurewitz after leaving Bad Religion in the 90s. Great little EP, although the b-side isn't as strong as "Hate You."

Farside. Probably too emo for some of you, but they're excellent.

The Killcreeps. One and done. This is the band Lyle Blackburn formed after leaving Solitude Aeturnus. Some of these songs would later become Ghoultown songs.

That's probably enough for now. =)
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I don't know much about Blount. I played a show with them when I was stationed in Arkansas.

Fort Chaffee or Little Rock AFB?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I don't know much about Blount. I played a show with them when I was stationed in Arkansas.

Little Rock. I was there from '95 to '99.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Little Rock. I was there from '95 to '99.

Cool.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 6:28 pm

Plenty of good punk bands and plenty of sub genres from many decades...here are a few favorites.

AFI
DRI
The Accused
The Exploited
The Dwarves
NOFX
Operation Ivy
Rich Kids On LSD
SOD/MOD
Suicidal Tendencies
TSOL
Zeke
ALL
The Damned
The Casualties
The Adicts
Total Chaos
Rancid
The Clash
DOA
Flipper
John Cougar Concentration Camp
Horrorpops
GBH
The Germs
The SubHumAns
GG Allin
Generation X
Good Riddance
Gang Of Four
Agnostic Front
Global Threat
Fear
The Unseen
X
The Dead Milkmen
7 Seconds
Dead Boys
The Vandals
Rites Of Spring
Cro-Mags

To name a few or so...

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Interesting fact: Mike Stone, ex-Queensryche guitarist, was the singer/guitarist of Klover. It's an excellent album.

Wow. I have this album but haven't spun it in ages. I remember really diggin' it when I got it though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:22 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Wow.  I have this album but haven't spun it in ages.  I remember really diggin' it when I got it though.

I love it. It's one of those unsung gems. They released a 7" EP, too, but other than that...nothing. =(

Mike Stone is actually quite gifted. He's done punk, metal, rock, blues, he's got a jazz trio going right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some punk!   Recommend me some punk! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend me some punk!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next