Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices

Go down 
+24
ultmetal
Lari
stepcousin
bgsully
MetalGuy71
Runicen
James B.
rajah
BearOnUnicycle
Rex
nevermore
thejokeriv
MoonChild
Thrasher73
manny
journeyman
chewie
Witchfinder
corplhicks
exact33
tohostudios
Boris2008
Thelemech
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Deep Purple
Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Vote_lcap45%Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 45% [ 18 ]
Rainbow
Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Vote_lcap55%Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 55% [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 40

AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 10:34 am

manny wrote:
I love Rainbow, but I can't believe you guys mostly prefer them over Deep Purple.

Holy hell, Deep Purple helped create the genre of metal, Blackmore is a god, introducing classical musical influences into music (as did Jon Lord, who should also get credit), had introduced the world to proto-type hard rock/metal vocalist in Ian Gillan and David Coverdale, emphasized that you had the deliever the goods live, and that this genre was best experienced live.

Released a series of classic kick ass albums 'In Rock', 'Machine Head' 'Burn' and helped usher in the era of the live album with 'Made In Japan'.

My choice for Rainbow is based simply on the amount of playtime they get. I only have the 3 Dio-fronted albums and but get considerable spins from me. On the other hand, my Deep Purple collection is woefully small. I can only listen to Machine Head so many times. Smile 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:55 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
I love Rainbow, but I can't believe you guys mostly prefer them over Deep Purple.

Holy hell, Deep Purple helped create the genre of metal, Blackmore is a god, introducing classical musical influences into music (as did Jon Lord, who should also get credit), had introduced the world to proto-type hard rock/metal vocalist in Ian Gillan and David Coverdale, emphasized that you had the deliever the goods live, and that this genre was best experienced live.

Released a series of classic kick ass albums 'In Rock', 'Machine Head' 'Burn' and helped usher in the era of the live album with 'Made In Japan'.

My choice for Rainbow is based simply on the amount of playtime they get. I only have the 3 Dio-fronted albums and but get considerable spins from me. On the other hand, my Deep Purple collection is woefully small. I can only listen to Machine Head so many times. Smile 

You need to rectify that! Start with In Rock and work you way through.......
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Eh, one of these days. I'd like to have more 'Purp in the collection, but there's always something else that I want more.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 4:04 pm

I don't think the Deep Purple stuff is inferior to the Rainbow stuff, but if we're specifically pinning down Blackmore, I think Rainbow is where he really came into his own.

That, and the really hardcore classical influence in Purple has to be pinned on Lord, IMO. Blackmore's classical influences were much more pastoral and folksy (as really showed up later in his career) while Lord was much more into the hard rock applications of classical in that Bach/Wagner sense of it.

Just my take.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Runicen wrote:
I don't think the Deep Purple stuff is inferior to the Rainbow stuff, but if we're specifically pinning down Blackmore, I think Rainbow is where he really came into his own.  

That, and the really hardcore classical influence in Purple has to be pinned on Lord, IMO.  Blackmore's classical influences were much more pastoral and folksy (as really showed up later in his career) while Lord was much more into the hard rock applications of classical in that Bach/Wagner sense of it.

Just my take.

That might be true, it was after all Jon Lord who wrote the Concerto, with Blackmore adding (grudgingly) pieces here and there to that album.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Runicen wrote:

That, and the really hardcore classical influence in Purple has to be pinned on Lord, IMO.  Blackmore's classical influences were much more pastoral and folksy (as really showed up later in his career) while Lord was much more into the hard rock applications of classical in that Bach/Wagner sense of it.

Just my take.

Blackmore was firmly in control of Rainbow (Richie Blackmore's Rainbow), Deep Purple was a band. So, Rainbow would be much more all Richie.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Tough one.....but I went with Rainbow.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 6:54 pm

i love Rainbow but I chose Deep Purple by a mile. Most people associate DP with Smoke On The Water, Highway Star, Perfect strangers, and Hush cuz the radio plays them incessantly but DP's deeper cuts are amazing. Ritchie still blows me away when I hear Deep Purple live, and God knows there are tons of live recordings out there of DP.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Both bands are awesome, and both bands are also quite terrible, depending on what albums we're talking about. Purple with Blackmore is excellent, and the first three Rainbow albums are even better than anything Purple ever did. However, listen to the later Rainbow albums and you will miss Dio. Blackmore never recaptured the magic.

So if we're talking about reunion, then I'd rather get Purple.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Hard to pick only one, but In Rock and Machine Head are two of the cornerstones of heavy metal and two of my all time favorites, so I went with Purple.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 pm

stepcousin wrote:
Most people associate DP with Smoke On The Water, Highway Star, Perfect strangers, and Hush cuz the radio plays them incessantly but DP's deeper cuts are amazing.

headbanger headbanger headbanger 
Back to top Go down
AutumnShantel
Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Both bands went through a lot of change... but if I was judging them by their peaks, I'd go with Rainbow. Just my personal taste, I know Deep Purple was obviously more influential.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Purple.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 6:13 pm

Rainbow...especially the Graham Bonnet era and the Joe Lynn Turner era...
Back to top Go down
dark avenger
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Deep Purple, just because they recorded more albums with Blackmore than Rainbow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices   Ritchie Blackmore - Two Choices - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2