Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+48
tul
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
MetallicSeminarian
Rex
Headbanger Man
assault_attack
Lovecraft
Metal Misfit
ZombieHavoc
glassprison
MetalRob331
Thrasher73
stormspell
mr.electric39
stpatrik
Runicen
Witchfinder
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
chewie
Svengo
Lari
manny
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
mlotek
Dark Horseman
bgsully
Sutekh
bass63
James B.
Required Fields
Wayne
Citanul
exact33
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Boris2008
Eyesore
Vexer6
corplhicks
ultmetal
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Tuning has also changed the way people sing these days.

Yep - very few of the older bands play in the original tuning these days... even Megadeth down tuned 1/2 a step on the most recent tour.

Queensryche actually up-tuned when Todd joined the band.

Tuning down in concert is nothing new, bands have been doing it forever.  It helps singers get through grueling tours.  For some of the older vocalists out there it allows them to continue performing.  I don't consider it a cheat, it's just part of life.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 1:56 pm

S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yep - very few of the older bands play in the original tuning these days... even Megadeth down tuned 1/2 a step on the most recent tour.

Tuning down in concert is nothing new, bands have been doing it forever.  It helps singers get through grueling tours.  For some of the older vocalists out there it allows them to continue performing.  I don't consider it a cheat, it's just part of life.

Exactly...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I know.... I was surprised that Queensryche tuned-up when Todd joined, as most bands down-tune. I know it helps the singer, which makes sense. It takes me a few songs to get used to it when I;m only used to the album versions!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:38 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I know.... I was surprised that Queensryche tuned-up when Todd joined, as most bands down-tune. I know it helps the singer, which makes sense. It takes me a few songs to get used to it when I;m only used to the album versions!

They probably just tuned "back" to what they were..."up" from where GT had them.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

They probably just tuned "back" to what they were..."up" from where GT had them.

Yep... the had tuned down so Geoff could sing the songs and tuned back to the original tunings when Todd joined since he could sing the songs in the original key
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I'm fairly sure that is the case. They are tuning back to what the albums were recorded at. E instead of E♭ (E flat).

Many thrash bands always tuned to E-flat. Ultimatum tuned to E-flat on every album except for our first album, which was standard E.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Let's not forget Van Halen, who tuned down 1/4 step live for vocal reasons (I believe a 1/2 step on the records?). This was also beneficial to their integral sound.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 pm

So, since the "is it metal" debate lead back here, does anyone want to take bets on how long it'll be before the Vest is back to wearing a weave?

Actually, I should probably apologize and attempt to salvage my karma. Even if GT did nothing of merit from here onward, what he HAD done during his peak is so frickin' awesome that he deserves props regardless.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:09 am

corplhicks wrote:
Let's not forget Van Halen, who tuned down 1/4 step live for vocal reasons (I believe a 1/2 step on the records?). This was also beneficial to their integral sound.

VH tuned down more than that live. EVH has said that w/ DLR they tuned to D, while with Sammy they tuned to Eb. They "claim" to have played live in standard w/ Cherone, but I don't have any evidence to support it.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Tuning down 1/4 step won't help anyone hit any notes they can't already hit. The only weird tuning I know of like that is early MEGADETH recording and I suspect it's because they tried to speed up the tape to pretend they could play faster and tighter than they really could. So they tuned to Eb and sped up the tape. It's my theory anyway. Why else would anyone record like that?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 2:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Tuning down 1/4 step won't help anyone hit any notes they can't already hit.  The only weird tuning I know of like that is early MEGADETH recording and I suspect it's because they tried to speed up the tape to pretend they could play faster and tighter than they really could.  So they tuned to Eb and sped up the tape.  It's my theory anyway.  Why else would anyone record like that?

Did they play those songs slower in a live setting?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

VH tuned down more than that live. EVH has said that w/ DLR they tuned to D, while with Sammy they tuned to Eb. They "claim" to have played live in standard w/ Cherone, but I don't have any evidence to support it.

This makes sense; I was only going off of a 1980 Guitar Player interview with Eddie. I have no doubt they went a whole step with Roth's limitations. Judging from the raw snippets on bootlegs and youtube, it worked (although Roth's "singing" wasn't always "singing").
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 4:14 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Tuning down 1/4 step won't help anyone hit any notes they can't already hit.  The only weird tuning I know of like that is early MEGADETH recording and I suspect it's because they tried to speed up the tape to pretend they could play faster and tighter than they really could.  So they tuned to Eb and sped up the tape.  It's my theory anyway.  Why else would anyone record like that?

Here I had thought that was just all the cocaine.  drunken cheers cheers drunken 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Both bands blow goat chunks, but Taint's circus show is even more laughable.

The original band isn't even pushing it anymore. In my opinion, Todd La Torre has no originality to his singing; he's just trying too hard to sound like his predecessor in his prime.

The self-titled EP and The Warning are the only ones getting plays from me anymore. Everything else is too light or bland for me.

Sigh...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 10:24 pm

^^"S.D. is out, and we have a new challenger in for Eyesore!" (crowd cheers)  lol! 

(twist: Painkiller is S.D.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 10:27 pm

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Oops! My secret is out. Razz

Naw. S.D. hated the Painkiller album. There's no way he would choose that name. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 1:26 am

I disagree with a lot of what S.D. says, but at least he doesn't come off like 12-year-old.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:05 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:06 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 am

Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I disagree with a lot of what S.D. says, but at least he doesn't come off like 12-year-old.

I'm liking the free entertainment you're providing. I must have said something really terrible to upset you this way. Laughing very hard

Not upset at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 4:13 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 5:56 am

Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Not upset at all.

You surely seem that way to keep continuing this. Otherwise, you would have just let it go.

EDIT: I just looked at your playlist; I can't take an Offspring fan seriously. I forfeit.

This is a discussion forum. People respond to posts, even dumb ones.

And your edit just solidifies how close-minded you are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 10 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next