Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath

Go down 
+23
Thrasher73
mc666
James B.
rajah
corplhicks
manny
Thelemech
akeldama
Eyesore
Troublezone
DakotaRogers
SAHB Healer
Dark Horseman
MetallicSeminarian
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
deathisgain
Boris2008
MoonChild
Shawn Of Fire
candlemass
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Ozzy or Dio?
The Devil You Know
Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Vote_lcap53%Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Vote_rcap
 53% [ 19 ]
Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Vote_lcap47%Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Vote_rcap
 47% [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 36

AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Empty
PostSubject: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 am

After having plenty of time to digest both, what say you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 8:57 am

The Devil You Know because  Dio 

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 am

I really like "13", it's a good lp...but I don't think it's as good as sales/popularity/praise would indicate. Let's face it, everyone wanted Ozzy back since 79, and after all this time that first lp w/him was bound to sell big, plus "Ozzy" has become such a household/trademarked name you could slap it on a burger and outsell McDonalds! I just think "The Devil You Know" is a better offering, better melodies, better more memorable songs. Plus it would've done better had it been given the proper moniker, namely "Black Sabbath", for that's what it was!  angry 
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 9:12 am

I liked 13, was not a bad album.

But The Devil You Know is a better album overall, way ahead with brilliance than 13.

So my vote goes for The Devil You Know.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40551

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 9:25 am

The Devil You Know. Just a better listen than 13,although it's no slouch either.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 9:47 am

I prefer 13. Both are solid though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:04 am

13.  Much closer stylistically to what I like.

I consider Black Sabbath with Dio and Black Sabbath with Ozzy to be two completely different bands.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:14 am

The "Devil You Know", simple on the basis of "Follow the Tears", that is one freakin HEAVY riff.

"13" is a great album, but, the biggest annoyance to me, is Ozzy's over processed vocals. Don't get me wrong, I love Ozzy, but the last few years, his vocals have seemed to become all sounding the same. I know he has never been a great singer, and time (and drugs) have not done him well, but it seems like they have found a formula for his vox, and dial it in. It gets tiring to me after a while. Besides that, "13" has some great riffs and is classic Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:21 am

deathisgain wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love Ozzy, but the last few years, his vocals have seemed to become all sounding the same.

Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Smiley_aahl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:22 am

There is less processing on Ozzy's vocals on 13 than his recent solo albums.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:24 am

The poll results almost give me hope for you guys.  lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:46 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
The poll results almost give me hope for you guys.  lol! 

I have the exact opposite reaction to that.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:52 am

Can't choose... both are excellent albums! As much as it sucked to lose Dio, at least he went out on a high note with TDYK. If Sabbath is done after 13, they at least will go out on a high note.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 12:00 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Can't choose... both are excellent albums! As much as it sucked to lose Dio, at least he went out on a high note with TDYK. If Sabbath is done after 13, they at least will go out on a high note.

I'm having the same dilema. I really enjoy both albums. Today, I might vote for 13. Tomorrow could be TDYK.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:36 pm

deathisgain wrote:
The "Devil You Know", simple on the basis of "Follow the Tears", that is one freakin HEAVY riff.

I just realized yesterday how freakin' HEAVY that really is!  Dio 
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 1:38 pm

13. Just listened to it again the other day for the first time in a few months. Still rules.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 2:46 pm

I prefer the Dio stuff anytime. 13 is good but not up to TDYK.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 pm

I wanted to like The Devil You Know better, but as much as I'm down on Ozzy these days I still liked 13 better. For the record I liked them both better than Iommi/Hughes Fused. All good but not great albums I'd say.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 6:54 pm

"The Devil You Know" for me.

Too bad it wasn't released under the Black Sabbath moniker, not that it really matters or anything.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Both are lackluster IMO. But if I had to pick, 13 sounds better to me.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Man, that really is bad ass!  headbanger Dio headbanger 

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 7:51 pm

The Devil You Know. Easy.

13 is a great album, but Ozzy's voice gets tiring after a while.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Also, "The Devil You Know" has original compositions.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 8:26 pm

I have said since day one that The Devil You Know is a better album and I still hold to that for many reasons. Although I do prefer Dio Sabbath I don't base my choice on my prejudices. I know a lot of people who choose 13 just cuz it features Ozzy.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 pm

I love both albums and am quite surprised at how good both are. My all time favorite two lineups in metal history.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath   Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heaven & Hell vs Black Sabbath
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next