Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dokken Remasters Coming Soon

Go down 
+12
journeyman
manny
jettafiend
metalinmyveins
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 9:57 pm

manny wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Rock Candy is handling these, so we could be in for a treat.

The production/sound on Tooth & Nail does kinda suck, but I've gotten so used to hearing it that way for the past 30 (!!) years that a newly polished, remastered version would probably sound "wrong" to me Laughing very hard

THANK YOU. That album sounds like it was recorded in a tin can! For years I thought I was the only one who noticed; not one review I've ever read mentions this. It's sheer treble. But yes, it does grow on you...

It still sounds terrible, the budget for that most have been a buck o five, but I have owned it almost since the day it was released and even I got my ears got accustomed to its sound.
So you bought the remaster? Not sure if I'd rebuy these three remasters, unless they were a significant improvement. I grew up with them, so yeah, I agree, I'm used to them. Damn. I never understood why Breaking the Chains had a live song. I was convinced that it wasn't the bands first album and searched high and low for something that didn't exist. Under Lock and Key is the weakest of the three and I think it has a lot to do with that 80's sound treatment.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 9:59 pm

I actually like some of "Shadowlife"... which I guess makes me an ultra obsessed Dokken fanboy.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:21 pm

I actually dig Shadowlife, its like Don Dokken covering a Tool tribute band. OK it sounds better then my description, but its an interesting artistic left turn.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Under Lock and Key, despite its sheen, was always my favorite album. Regardless of the production, it had their strongest songwriting imo.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Dokken were one of those bands that just made me go "Meh... I don't get the hype" but I may give them a fresh listen soon. Maybe...

Give Back for the Attack a spin. Their most consistent album, IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Under Lock and Key, despite its sheen, was always my favorite album. Regardless of the production, it had their strongest songwriting imo.

BFTA is my favorite, but ULAK has my favorite tune: "It's Not Love."
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:37 pm

journeyman wrote:
manny wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

The production/sound on Tooth & Nail does kinda suck, but I've gotten so used to hearing it that way for the past 30 (!!) years that a newly polished, remastered version would probably sound "wrong" to me Laughing very hard

THANK YOU. That album sounds like it was recorded in a tin can! For years I thought I was the only one who noticed; not one review I've ever read mentions this. It's sheer treble. But yes, it does grow on you...

It still sounds terrible, the budget for that most have been a buck o five, but I have owned it almost since the day it was released and even I got my ears got accustomed to its sound.
So you bought the remaster? Not sure if I'd rebuy these three remasters, unless they were a significant improvement. I grew up with them, so yeah, I agree, I'm used to them. Damn. I never understood why Breaking the Chains had a live song. I was convinced that it wasn't the bands first album and searched high and low for something that didn't exist. Under Lock and Key is the weakest of the three and I think it has a lot to do with that 80's sound treatment.  

I doubt he bought the remasters because they don't come out until early February.  

By the way, there was an earlier Dokken release under the name Don Dokken and it had the studio version of "Paris" on it.  It was released in 1981 and has a totally different mix from the US version from 1983.  Also Live To Rock (Rock To Live) is not on the album and is replaced by a song called "We're Illegal."  

Last edited by Witchfinder on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:14 pm

S.D. wrote:
Under Lock & Key is a great example of the over-produced 80s, slick and polished to the point where any rough edges are buffed to a fine sheen and subsequently almost all character is removed.  It's not heavy metal, it's heavy plastic.  

And awesome. You forgot that part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Under Lock & Key is a great example of the over-produced 80s, slick and polished to the point where any rough edges are buffed to a fine sheen and subsequently almost all character is removed.  It's not heavy metal, it's heavy plastic.  

Glad you enjoy that production sound, personally I can't stand it but hey, that's what opinions are all about.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 12:39 am

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Glad you enjoy that production sound, personally I can't stand it but hey, that's what opinions are all about.

The quality of the songs is more important to me.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 1:33 am

Witchfinder wrote:
journeyman wrote:
manny wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I doubt he bought the remasters because they don't come out until early February.  

By the way, there was an earlier Dokken release under the name Don Dokken and it had the studio version of "Paris" on it.  It was released in 1981 and has a totally different mix from the US version from 1983.  Also Live To Rock (Rock To Live) is not on the album and is replaced by a song called "We're Illegal."  

The LP I have is listed as being the band Dokken, has the same cover as the US one and is called Breakin' The Chains. It would be nice for this one to be officially on cd.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 9:23 am

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

The songs are great on both T&N and UL&K.... I always hated Breaking The Chains and didn't give Dokken another chance until T friend lent T&N to me.. MUCH better album!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 10:16 am

Into the Fire is what hooked me on Dokken. BtC was ok but they scored with ItF and UL&K and Back.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 11:07 am

Sure those early albums were weak production-wise, but they were excellent songs. I never let bad sounding production hinder my enjoyment of music (unless they were really bad quality bootlegs and such).

And what seems to be the norm with them, I feel Breaking The Chains is just ok (and the last one for me to purchase) and after that they killed it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 1:15 pm

'Breaking the Chains' was the first song I heard by Dokken, but I admit I was disappointed by the rest of the album with the exception of 'Paris Is Burning'

The rest of their discography I pretty like and think that they had bit more musicality then most of their L.A. brethern
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Me too...

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Me too...

Songs are the most important aspect for me as well, which is why when I believe the production of an album detracts from the songs instead of enhancing them as it should then it bothers me.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 2:31 pm

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Me too...

Songs are the most important aspect for me as well, which is why when I believe the production of an album detracts from the songs instead of enhancing them as it should then it bothers me.

Pretty much how I am; good examples are Steelheart or LA Guns' Hollywood Vampires where the songwriting was really tight but the uber-polished and neutering production killed it. But everyone is different.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

I knew it. All these years. I heard about the scorpions connection back in the day, and that the album was first released in Europe. Should have put it together then, just never dawned on me. Thanks for the info.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 11:37 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Dokken were one of those bands that just made me go "Meh... I don't get the hype" but I may give them a fresh listen soon. Maybe...

Give Back for the Attack a spin. Their most consistent album, IMO.

Ok. I will do that. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 11:48 pm

journeyman wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I knew it. All these years. I heard about the scorpions connection back in the day, and that the album was first released in Europe. Should have put it together then, just never dawned on me. Thanks for the info.  

No problem. Just like you, I searched in vain for the studio version of Paris Is Burning for years with no luck, and then one day I stumbled on the 1981 Carrere Records version of Breakin' The Chains and there it was. Too bad it's vinyl only.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
journeyman wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

No problem.  Just like you, I searched in vain for the studio version of Paris Is Burning for years with no luck, and then one day I stumbled on the 1981 Carrere Records version of Breakin' The Chains and there it was.  Too bad it's vinyl only.  

The local flea market has a copy of that. I'm tempted to buy it, but I always put it back.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 12:11 am

Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
journeyman wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

No problem.  Just like you, I searched in vain for the studio version of Paris Is Burning for years with no luck, and then one day I stumbled on the 1981 Carrere Records version of Breakin' The Chains and there it was.  Too bad it's vinyl only.  

The local flea market has a copy of that. I'm tempted to buy it, but I always put it back.

It's a nice little oddity, but it's probably not essential. It might be nice to sell on ebay though.
Back to top Go down
lynch
Metal novice
Metal novice
lynch

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I love Dokken as much as the next fanboy but I've got all the original CDs, so I'll pass.

Now if they bother to release "Back For The Attack" with the title track added as a bonus (rescuing it from its years of exile as a B-side on the "Dream Warriors" single)...that I would buy.

Actually, 'Back For The Attack' song was written during the Under Lock And Key sessions so technically it should be a bonus track on that album. Not trying to sound like a dink but just thought you'd like to know.
Back to top Go down
lynch
Metal novice
Metal novice
lynch

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
journeyman wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

It's a nice little oddity, but it's probably not essential.  It might be nice to sell on ebay though.  

I got a vinyl copy as well and transferred and digitized onto iTunes. Cleaned up quite a bit and sounds really good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dokken Remasters Coming Soon   Dokken Remasters Coming Soon - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dokken Remasters Coming Soon
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next