Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...

Go down 
+6
Hadley
jstate
manny
ultmetal
Spiner202
ZombieHavoc
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Empty
PostSubject: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 am

So I just read on sleazeroxx that Alice has a covers album he's working on. That should be fun, as I've enjoyed (the very few) cover tunes he has recorded and released in his career. Especially "Talk Talk".

One thing though. In the article, The Coop says they are focusing on a very specific time for their tunes: 73-75. Now, the only 4 songs they have revealed are "Break on Through", "Foxy Lady", "Revolution" and "My Generation".

None of those songs are from 73-75. Ha. That kind of cracked me up a little. Anyway, still stoked as hell on the forthcoming record!
Back to top Go down
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 1:08 pm

I read somewhere that there will be a couple of new tracks on it as well. I'm not sure if that's true, but I hope so.

I will buy this because I love everything Alice has done, but I'm really not too thrilled about a covers album, especially at this point in his career. I also don't really like any of the music he plans to cover :/
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 1:19 pm

I enjoy covers albums...of the 4 songs he listed, i love 2 of them (revolution, my generation) and am lukewarm on the other 2 (but i am sure his versions will smoke).

He also mentioned T. Rex in the thing I read. Alice Cooper covering T. Rex, at any stage in his career, is something I am all for.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Did I also read he's working mostly with the original Alice Cooper band?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Yep he is mostly working with the original Alice Cooper band, while I don't care for covers albums, I will look forward to this one.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm not a covers album guy either but Alice is one guy who can pull something unique out of it.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Cooper may be my favorite artist, but this set doesnt excite me. Im just sick of bands doing predictable covers like this. Why not be like Leppard and cover some lesser known tracks? I can forgive Stryper's The Covering since those were all songs that meant something to them, and they did an incredible job with those overplayed songs, but i dont need to hear ANOTHER cover of the Doors or Hendrix or The Who (at least not their biggest hits).
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Hadley wrote:
Cooper may be my favorite artist, but this set doesnt excite me. Im just sick of bands doing predictable covers like this. Why not be like Leppard and cover some lesser known tracks? I can forgive Stryper's The Covering since those were all songs that meant something to them, and they did an incredible job with those overplayed songs, but i dont need to hear ANOTHER cover of the Doors or Hendrix or The Who (at least not their biggest hits).

I do agree with this. While I am stoked for anything Alice does, you would think of any artist, he would be the guy to go to for an album of more unexpected cover.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 10:34 pm

ill get it. I enjoy his music a lot.

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 am

Would rather have a brand new original Alice album but still looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Would rather have a brand new original Alice album but still looking forward to this.

i am hoping this will lead to new music with the original band.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:56 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
So I just read on sleazeroxx that Alice has a covers album he's working on. That should be fun, as I've enjoyed (the very few) cover tunes he has recorded and released in his career. Especially "Talk Talk".

One thing though. In the article, The Coop says they are focusing on a very specific time for their tunes: 73-75. Now, the only 4 songs they have revealed are "Break on Through", "Foxy Lady", "Revolution" and "My Generation".

None of those songs are from 73-75. Ha. That kind of cracked me up a little. Anyway, still stoked as hell on the forthcoming record!
From what I've read, the years '73-'75 were the years that Alice was the president of the Hollywood Vampires Drinking Club at the Rainbow, which included members Keith Moon, Harry Nilsson and a few other noteable drunkards of that era. So the songs he's going to cover have some kind of tenuous connection to that time period. Something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollywood_Vampires

Quote :
I'm all for a good covers album, but, yea, I'd like it better if he dug a little deeper.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:08 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

From what I've read, the years '73-'75 were the years that Alice was the president of the Hollywood Vampires Drinking Club at the Rainbow, which included members Keith Moon, Harry Nilsson and a few other noteable drunkards of that era. So the songs he's going to cover have some kind of tenuous connection to that time period. Something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollywood_Vampires

Quote :
I'm all for a good covers album, but, yea, I'd like it better if he dug a little deeper.
Maybe he will dig deeper for some of the other songs that he not yet disclosed will be there? If he's doing T. Rex, it's pretty much guaranteed to be somewhat of a deep track if he stays away from "Get it On". No other Marc Bolan jam gets played with any regularity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:11 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
If he's doing T. Rex, it's pretty much guaranteed to be somewhat of a deep track if he stays away from "Get it On". No other Marc Bolan jam gets played with any regularity.
I've heard 20th Century Boy on the radio quite often.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:16 pm

S.D. wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
If he's doing T. Rex, it's pretty much guaranteed to be somewhat of a deep track if he stays away from "Get it On". No other Marc Bolan jam gets played with any regularity.
I've heard 20th Century Boy on the radio quite often.  
That's cool, then. One of my favorite tunes. I've never heard a single song on the radio besides "Get it On", as far as regular radio goes. I've other songs on XM, like on Deep Tracks and stations like that.

Alice covering "20th Century Boy" would be killer. I would love it to death.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 11:47 am

A little more info on the upcoming album. 4 or 5 new tunes mixed in with covers...

Quote :
Cooper is putting the finishing touches on a covers album featuring songs that were originally written and recorded by THE DOORS, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon and THE WHO, members of the so-called "Hollywood vampires" of the early and mid-'70s. The disc, which is expected out later this year, will also include "four or five new songs," which the legendary rocker wrote specifically for the new CD. He tells VH1 Radio Network's Dave Basner: "We decided that in order to set up the 'Hollywood Vampires' thing, you had to kind of tell the story, and you had to write songs that were going to set up the story, and then get into the covers. So we had fun sitting there writing these new songs around it. So it's going to be quite a package, this thing is."

Regarding how the idea for the covers album came about, Cooper told Yahoo! Music: "Producer Bob Ezrin said to me, 'You know, you're a rock 'n' roll singer. It would be great to hear you doing someone else's material once in a while. And then we thought, 'Well, we can't just do a covers album where we bounce around from song to song.' So Bob came up with the idea, 'Let’s concentrate it on all the guys that you drank with in L.A., the Hollywood Vampires, the ones that are all dead.' It’s really an ode to all my dead, drunk friends: Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, some of the SMALL FACES, Harry Nilsson, T. REX. These were all of my drinking buddies. I like the title 'All My Dead Drunk Friends'. It’s just offensive enough to work, but all those guys would have totally got it. They had the same sense of humor. If you told them you were going to do an album after they were gone called 'All My Dead Drunk Friends,' they would have died laughing."

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 11:54 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
A little more info on the upcoming album. 4 or 5 new tunes mixed in with covers...

Quote :
Cooper is putting the finishing touches on a covers album featuring songs that were originally written and recorded by THE DOORS, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon and THE WHO, members of the so-called "Hollywood vampires" of the early and mid-'70s. The disc, which is expected out later this year, will also include "four or five new songs," which the legendary rocker wrote specifically for the new CD. He tells VH1 Radio Network's Dave Basner: "We decided that in order to set up the 'Hollywood Vampires' thing, you had to kind of tell the story, and you had to write songs that were going to set up the story, and then get into the covers. So we had fun sitting there writing these new songs around it. So it's going to be quite a package, this thing is."

Regarding how the idea for the covers album came about, Cooper told Yahoo! Music: "Producer Bob Ezrin said to me, 'You know, you're a rock 'n' roll singer. It would be great to hear you doing someone else's material once in a while. And then we thought, 'Well, we can't just do a covers album where we bounce around from song to song.' So Bob came up with the idea, 'Let’s concentrate it on all the guys that you drank with in L.A., the Hollywood Vampires, the ones that are all dead.' It’s really an ode to all my dead, drunk friends: Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, some of the SMALL FACES, Harry Nilsson, T. REX. These were all of my drinking buddies. I like the title 'All My Dead Drunk Friends'. It’s just offensive enough to work, but all those guys would have totally got it. They had the same sense of humor. If you told them you were going to do an album after they were gone called 'All My Dead Drunk Friends,' they would have died laughing."

That sounds awesome. I am even more excited for this than I already was...which was considerable to being with.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 1:56 pm

I wasn't super crazy about the notion when it was just a covers album, but I'd like to hope that the "story" angle will be pretty awesome. The Coop always manages those well.
Back to top Go down
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm really happy he's putting in new songs. I know he already has a ton of original content, but at his age, he only has a few more albums left in him, and I'd prefer he does new stuff instead of covers.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Ill get it. I think his voice is as good as ever.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 11:05 am

Looks like this won't be out till next year. From Alice himself...

Quote :
...Producer Bob Ezrin loved the idea and it's pretty much done now, but I don't think it will see the light of day until next year because we've got the MÖTLEY CRÜE tour for 72 shows and we don't have the time to wrap a show around the covers album until next year.

Bummer.

PostSubject: Re: Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...   Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alice Cooper's new covers album in the works...
Page 1 of 1