Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?

Go down 
+22
Stender
mc666
jstate
EmoElmo
asgard1980
CRIMSONMASK
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
Grimmo
BearOnUnicycle
Leatherface
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:11 pm

I'd put Testament in the big 4 and kick out Slayer and put Overkill in and kick out Anthrax. But I know why those 4 are called that, they were all originators.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Quote :
But I know why those 4 are called that, they were all originators.

...and they sold the most records.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:20 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I'm listening to and really enjoying a band I recently became familiar with, Rigor Mortis. Miles ahead of most of the new breed.

As Required Fields would say:

headbanger
Back to top Go down
asgard1980
Metal novice
Metal novice
asgard1980

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:35 pm

I think that problem isn´t only in the Thrash Metal Genre alone. The same problem is in the Black Metal, Death Metal and also Heavy Metal Genre.

The Problem isn´t that the newer bands don´t play badly, but there´s isn´t the same feeling in the music, that was in the music of the bands in the 80´s (for Thrash/ Heavy Metal) and the 90´s (for Black and Death Metal).

But there are some very good bands, that remind me to the old-School bands: Entrails from Sweden for example play Death Metal like old Entombed/ Dismember.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/asgard1980
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Listening to Havok reminds me when I first discovered Slayer ... I don't listen to albums (or force myself into liking them) because they WERE good when they were young (Slayer, Sodom, Anthrax, Tallica) ... A terrible album is a terrible album

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
But I know why those 4 are called that, they were all originators.

...and they sold the most records.

I was gonna say, bands like Exodus and Hirax were there in the beginning too, it's just that the Big 4 were the most commercially viable due to a number of factors. Some of it was 'right place right time,' some of it was resiliency, and some of it was the support of the label, and so forth. Let's not forget that Megadeth came after Metallica, even if it was Dave's riffing to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Somehow I knew about Megadeth before Metallica. Neither were played on radio around where I lived but at Tower someone must've been a 'deth fan 'cause they were displayed big time.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 12:30 pm

I wouldn't say I like them better than the big 4, but certainly on an equal footing these days would be Toxic Holocaust and the late Merciless Death. Of course both pretty much sound like they came directly from 1987.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 am

I like so much thrash, both new & old. But to answer the original question though... no. Because no one tops Slayer for me.

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Not really, the big 4 thrash bands are not even my favorates of the genre to listen to for me. Like others here I would rather rip something like Hirax, Sepultura, Voivod, Exodus, Forbidden, Sabbat, etc.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 9:40 pm

That's just the sand in your ears from all the dunes in Florence. \'arry \'eadbanger 
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

I have never been into Slayer... at all. Don't like them. Anthrax and Megadeth are great, and Metallica is pretty good too. That being said, I listen to Havok, Arnion, Ultimatum and Disaffection a whole lot more than the big 4. Testament and Overkill are miles ahead of Metallica in the quality of their outputs with the last couple of albums by each band. Formation and Iron Bound see quite a bit of spin from me.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
That's just the sand in your ears from all the dunes in Florence. \'arry \'eadbanger 

Haha..dude the swells here have been huge. Surfs up!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 9:48 pm

jettafiend wrote:
I have never been into Slayer... at all. Don't like them. Anthrax and Megadeth are great, and Metallica is pretty good too. That being said, I listen to Havok, Arnion, Ultimatum and Disaffection a whole lot more than the big 4. Testament and Overkill are miles ahead of Metallica in the quality of their outputs with the last couple of albums by each band. Formation and Iron Bound see quite a bit of spin from me.

I avoided slayer for a while because of their lyrics. While I still don't care for some of their lyrics, they are now musically one of my favorite thrash bands, if for no other reason than seasons in the abyss.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 12:17 am

Quote :

Dark Horseman wrote:

That's just the sand in your ears from all the dunes in Florence.

Haha..dude the swells here have been huge. Surfs up!

I haven't been to Florence in so long. I miss it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I avoided slayer for a while because of their lyrics. While I still don't care for some of their lyrics, they are now musically one of my favorite thrash bands, if for no other reason than seasons in the abyss.

Divine Intervention was my first exposure to Slayer. I was like "woah, I need to stop before I kill my own mom." Soon after I relaxed a little on the extreme stuff and they were suddenly Gods to me.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 am

corplhicks wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

Divine Intervention was my first exposure to Slayer. I was like "woah, I need to stop before I kill my own mom." Soon after I relaxed a little on the extreme stuff and they were suddenly Gods to me.

Indeed, it is the lyrics that put a damper on the enjoyment. I have listened to them, but for some reason i can't get past the lyrics. I have great respect for the band and the legions of fans that are deathly loyal speak volumes as well. Add in the countless bands that they have (almost) solely influenced and Slayer are truly a force to be reckoned with in the musical community. But... I just cant get past the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:12 am

jettafiend wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

Indeed, it is the lyrics that put a damper on the enjoyment. I have listened to them, but for some reason i can't get past the lyrics. I have great respect for the band and the legions of fans that are deathly loyal speak volumes as well. Add in the countless bands that they have (almost) solely influenced and Slayer are truly a force to be reckoned with in the musical community. But... I just cant get past the lyrics.

I can understand that, and I personally avoid some of their albums because of lyrical themes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:15 am

If you don't at least own Reign In Blood by Slayer then thine MeTaL ist not tr00. tr00

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:17 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
If you don't at least own Reign In Blood by Slayer then thine MeTaL ist not tr00. tr00

I own it, but it's my least favorite of the 4 I own. Does that make me a POSER?!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I own it, but it's my least favorite of the 4 I own. Does that make me a POSER?!

As long as it's in your collection, then thou art tr00, grimm und kvlt. tr00

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

As long as it's in your collection, then thou art tr00, grimm und kvlt. tr00

Yay!
I mean tr00 

Back to the thread topic, I need to get some Havok.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 1:24 pm

How in God's name are Megedeth and Anthrax considered thrash? Dave flirts with pop metal most of the time, and now he's all born again, he's even more pop than rock, going on how evil the tritone is to us all; and God only knows what Anthrax are up to? A wish washy RAP wannebe meets Hardcore via a splintered bass line and get called thrash, and not the commercial sell outs they really are.

Metallica, they earned the right not to be slagged off for how utterly pathetic they are now. Which only leaves Slayer, who are awesome. Let's hope this abomination of no Dave and no Jeff band does not destroy the wonderful memories we have of them. Top 4: Overkill, Slayer, Sepultra/Kreator Exodus. Real thrash.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 1:41 pm

So I'm listening to the new accuser and I haven't banged my head this hard in a long time. Brutal shit. Enjoying them as much as the first time I heard Kreator. So I guess I can now answer the op's question with a resounding yes.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 2:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

What's wrong with the lyrics, sister? I think Slayer sing about awareness subjects, rather than glorify them. For example: I was talking to one of their roadies many years ago, sharing a beer with the cat during his break (they were playing Top Hat DunLaoghaire 1988) and Angel Of Death was making waves. The cat was Jewish and he had no problem with the song. Hanneman only wrote about the evil of Meangle, not glorify his atrocious deeds. On the religious front: some of their earlier stuff was all that childish Satan nonsense, but the band grew into challenging religion and the evil of confirmed super religions, where absolute power can corrupt. Where the moral has been so utterly disfigured by man to his own ends - that is what I find from Slayer lyrics. True, I am an atheist, but I have many friends who believe in God and an afterlife. Democracy should be allowed to have whatever one wants to believe in, without discord from another entity. I have never read any Slayer lyrics slagging off believers of Christ (only sheep foul religious all hating Religious Right who preach utter intolerance towards Gays, Catholics etc, and other total hypocrisy), only the evils that has been brought about by power corrupt individuals in the church and power hungry hypocrites who use religion as a tool for personal gain.

For example: I'm Irish, my nation is 99.9% Catholic, yet only recently a bunch of bishops got together and decided that a child that dies before birth is dammed to purgatory, is not not damned anymore. Insanity!!!!!!

I heard distraught women on the radio crying their eyes out with relief when this new belief had been orchestrated, these women previously been worried to death that their stillborn was destined to roam between Heaven and Earth. TBH, it sickened me - such inane dross. In its organic nature, the ten commandments are excellent and a great sensible doctrine for all to live by - but not some all powerful being threatening fire if you don't do as he says.  

How can Man decide what this God says? The bible was written in a series of scrolls by Jewish priests over the earlier ages - many have not been allowed into the bible, neither old nor new. Judas Iscariot is a classic example of bible censorship, his chapter is dust.

That is what Slayer rail against. As far as I know, Tom is a practicing Catholic, or believes in some form of God.

Black metal is another matter, which to my mind goes out of its way to slag off believers, and is as hypocritical as the fundamentalist bible bashers who abuse anything that is not their own warped interpretation of the bible.

I studied the bible myself for many years out of interest; still do: so I like to thin I'm an OK judge to speak on the scriptures without causing offense.

Away from religion: The mutilation lyrics of child/mother killing is seen through the eyes of psychotic madmen and not again, glorifying in the butchery, rape, murder of sick twisted individuals. I find Slayer, repugnant lyrics, an awareness of today's and past societies that we prefer to pretend don't exist.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next