Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tr00 metal

Go down 
+26
Wurthless
Gilbert
metalheaded
kmorg
Alex Dee Rokket
DallasBlack
Vexer6
DevZor
mc666
choosemetal
Temple of Blood
Addy
Lurideath
journeyman
jstate
Dark Horseman
exact33
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
bgsully
manny
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

Tr00 metal - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:54 am

Watain sound pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:56 am

choosemetal wrote:
Well I never heard anybody spell it "tr00". I kinda thought that "true" metal would be bands like
(old) Morbid Angel, and Sodom you know bands like that.

Actually I'm sort of involved with people who are like that but there more like into old school thrash,death, and speed metal and they always say that's true metal. Black Metal fans are the worst there are some nice one's but most are major douches.
Some are bad but I wouldn't say most of them are, from my experiences Death Metal fans tend to be the most annoying.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 am

I remember when I first became a metal fan, the residential metal head at our middle school always called me a poser. Funny thing is, I'm probably more of a metal fan now than he ever was. He was supposedly a Danzig fanboy and I remember one time he was pissed at me because I drew the Danzig logo from How The Gods Kill, where the 'D' is not capitalized:

Tr00 metal - Page 3 Danzig-How-The-Gods-Kill-433316

and demanded that I have to capitalize Danzig. You think he would have recognized it from that album. Of course, I was one of the losers that always got picked on so I doubt he really thought I was a poser, just trying to get me riled up. However, even in high school and beyond I was never accepted in the "metal" crowd. Always wore the t-shirts and the leather jacket but of course had short hair and I *gasp* didn't smoke or get into trouble. I'm pretty sure I was always thought of as a poser, even by people who thought the empitome of metal was Marilyn Manson (the "metalheads" of my HS).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:43 am

After viewing and reading a number of interviews with Varg of Burzum, the basic understanding of what 'tr00' means at least in the context of black metal is music uncontaminated by outside elements that were not originally envisaged for that style and that apparently do not ever belong as part of that style.

In the context of Burzum, my understanding is that Varg recorded most of the 'bands' music on his own, with whatever he could find or was available in the studios where he recorded. In some instances he purposely recorded with the cheapest and worst sounding equipment to keep that 'authentic' black metal sound. I'm no expert on black metal, but essentially this style of music was envisaged as being the anti-thesis of everything rock, hard rock and metal music had become.

The bands that were part of the first and second wave of black metal bands all opted for a very lo-fi production; for a very raw and stripped down sound. There seemed to be a rebellious sentiment among the earlier black metal bands, especially against death metal bands whom they perceived as being 'poseurs' - basically not really believing what they preached in their lyrics, being more about image and good production, being heavy and brutal for the sake of showing off etc.

The second wave of black metal bands kinda saw that as an opportunity to do something different - the opposite of whatever death metal was doing. I remember in a Darkthrone interview they were talking about all this stuff, and how they even made their album covers to be a minimalistic as possible without the paintings and illustrations found on death and thrash metal album covers at the time.

However, I think between the way bands like Burzum and Darkthrone perceive 'true black metal' and the way their fans do is on different levels. I think the likes of Varg talk more about the traditional nature of black metal, and how newer bands or those that have found commercial success have departed from that attitude and sound. Whereas the fans seem to think that anything that doesn't sound like Bathory, early Burzum and Darkthrone is 'false' and 'poseur'. Some fans lets be fair.

Ironically, all those bands - Bathory, Burzum and Darkthrone - have departed from their original styles. Bathory went from the style of black metal they popularised to more atmospheric sounding music, which in some respects can hardly be called metal. Similarly with Burzum, to my knowledge there were some very non-metal sounding albums in Varg's catalog. Darkthrone have also gone through a number of phases, initially starting out as death metal, then more early-Bathory influenced and now they've gone in pretty much a thrash metal direction with very few black metal influences in their sound.

Yet for all the stylistic changes you'll seldom hear anyone calling these bands poseurs or sell outs. I think what makes these bands 'true' is that they are just true to what they play rather than trying to follow the latest trends or to make their music commercial.

That is not to say that I don't like black metal bands who have found commercial success with their style and those that have maybe jumped on some of the latest trends like ... omg better production! However this is from a fan's perspective and my perspective is one should experience as many different styles of music as possible. I cannot listen just to thrash or power or heavy metal or whatever.. my collection has a bit of every style because I genuinely like metal music and every style has different, something interesting and captivating to offer...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Alex, those are very accurate observations, Alex. The whole "inner circle" mentality, largely enforced by Euronymous and his gang, was basically the same as the Bay Area thrash vs LA Glam, taken a step further. The irony was that the very "don't comform", "don't be a follower" ideology was the exact opposite of what they were doing. They created formulas for how it should be, sound and how it shoud look, and if it did not fit in with their formulas, it was not tr00. They failed to see that they temselves were followers of a set of rules!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
choosemetal wrote:
Well I never heard anybody spell it "tr00". I kinda thought that "true" metal would be bands like
(old) Morbid Angel, and Sodom you know bands like that.

Actually I'm sort of involved with people who are like that but there more like into old school thrash,death, and speed metal and they always say that's true metal. Black Metal fans are the worst there are some nice one's but most are major douches.
Some are bad but I wouldn't say most of them are, from my experiences Death Metal fans tend to be the most annoying.

This is 100% true. I don't mean people who are fans of death metal, I mean most people who are.......... Death Metal Fans.

Also, the interesting thing when comparing the thrash stuff with the first/second wave of black metal is that a lot of those thrash fans have that exact same mentality still, only it's not glam, it's other stuff which is unconsciously perceived as being of a more feminine, 'soft' (and therefore, weak) nature. It's not surprising that the further you go down the rabbit hole of 'extreme' music, down into death, brutal death, grind,.... the more violence and misogyny you get per capita. These people overliteralize and mistake every concept of "aggression". There are a whole lot of men who are really deeply conflicted, caged, and upset over their sexuality.

Black metal, though being 'extreme', typically doesn't contain it because of the large legacy of nihilism inherent to the scene; there's little need for things beyond self-discovery and exploration.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm t00 tr00 for y00! Tr00 metal - Page 3 604261

Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

The second wave of black metal bands kinda saw that as an opportunity to do something different - the opposite of whatever death metal was doing. I remember in a Darkthrone interview they were talking about all this stuff, and how they even made their album covers to be a minimalistic as possible without the paintings and illustrations found on death and thrash metal album covers at the time.

"Earache kids with their Napalm Death skateboards. Can just F__k off."

Ironically Darkthrone were one the first bands to play "trendy" Death Metal they were just Norwegians being a Swedish Death Metal clone band.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=590482767642952&set=a.350854124939152.91923.224627090895190&type=3&theater
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:16 pm

choosemetal wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

"Earache kids with their Napalm Death skateboards. Can just F__k off."

Ironically Darkthrone were one the first bands to play "trendy" Death Metal they were just Norwegians being a Swedish Death Metal clone band.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=590482767642952&set=a.350854124939152.91923.224627090895190&type=3&theater

True and Soulside Journey is a fantastic death metal album. It's a classic.

I think of the traditional black metal bands from the second wave, Immortal and Darkthrone are the best and coolest sounding. Both bands have the right attitude, they play the music they want, with conviction and without really caring what others think / want. Both bands were heavily influenced by Bathory, with Immortal's sound there's a mix between late-80s Bathory circa Blood Fire Death and early 90s outputs such as Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods. Darkthrone have been I think a little more adventurous, while the earlier albums are total Bathory worship upping the ante just ever so slightly with more lo-fi production and chaotic songwriting, as time wore on they gradually moved away from that sound and ventured into this blackened crust punky and now more early 80s thrash influenced sound.

I am newer to Darkthrone's albums than I am to Immortal but I am starting to really like what Darkthrone write and are generally about. I think this the reason why I am so picky with black metal - I find a great deal of it to be very cookie cutter - bands imitating the pioneers ad nausem in the hope they will be the next Bathory. I think all that was covered by the early second wave bands, musically they built upon those first 3 - 4 Bathory albums.

I think from a purist perspective, where you just want to experience that raw under produced chaotic sound you don't really need to look further than the handful of originators. I do not consider myself a purist or much of a black metal fan but I definitely appreciate the music those earlier bands did because for its time it was original, it was at least a fresh take. I don't see that in newer black metal bands.

At the same time, like with other sub-genres, black metal has splintered in prog bm, symphonic bm and atmospheric bm etc. In that regard I find those type of newer bm bands more interesting than the newer traditional sounding ones. Stuff like Agalloch, Alcest, Absu, Borknagar are bringing something very unique to the original black metal sound. Some do not consider those bands black metal - again going back to what's tr00 and not - but I for one welcome this variety, it keeps the genre interesting.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 pm

I personally really like the new Darkthrone the cult is alive forward however A Blaze in a Northern Sky is a classic better than Under a Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger imo.. There's only a certain amount of Black Metal I can take due to many bands being very very unoriginal.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 am

You guys really need some Blut Aus Nord or Limbonic Art, but of course I've said this before, annnnd..
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 1:52 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
You guys really need some Blut Aus Nord or Limbonic Art, but of course I've said this before, annnnd..

I love Limbonic Art - their stuff is really quite original and mixing both traditional and symphonic black metal.

I am not too familiar with Blut Aus Nord - I have heard them described variously as a combination of black and industrial metal. But at the same time it seems each of their albums has a different style.

Oh before I forget, another really good traditional old school black metal band that has been around since seemingly the dawn of time is Marduk! They have two speeds - doomy sounding black metal and totally fast speedy stuff. Love their latest albums too - check out Wormwood.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 11:56 am

ultmetal wrote:

ULTIMATUM - T00 TR00 FOR WIKIPEDIA!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 12:01 pm

metalheaded wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

ULTIMATUM - T00 TR00 FOR WIKIPEDIA!

Lol. Lol indeed. Laughing very hard

Hey, Scott; what does this tr00 guy think of Ultimatum?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 12:15 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Don't you mean 00ltimatum? lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Don't you mean 00ltimatum? lol!

Tr00 dat. lol!
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Limbonic Art is pretty good.

Right now I've been listening to alot of Burzum and also I'll provide a link below to this band that worships the first wave of black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-YI3NkwGGQ
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 12:46 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I am not too familiar with Blut Aus Nord - I have heard them described variously as a combination of black and industrial metal. But at the same time it seems each of their albums has a different style.

that is true, some records will be directly up the alley of fans of say, Godflesh, and then they have others which are more experimental or more traditional black metal. I highly recommend 'Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With The Stars'. It's amazing, swirling melodies and vocals that just seem to float, the whole way through, just a very exceptional newer black metal release...a very spiritual album if I do say so.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Forgive me for my sheer ignorance, but I really need some pointers when it comes to fully appreciating black metal and the like. Like I said, I usually have it on for background noise; it really is great music. Otherwise, discerning between bands is a different matter. I assume some would resort to the "wine tasting" metaphor, which is fine, but let's just say I know my beers way more than my wines.

In comparison, death, grind, etc is Reliant K when it comes to accessibility. Guess you can't get more untr00 than that.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 pm

The guy is stupid.

I developped most of my metal knowledge, and spent lots of money buying new albums, thanks to scott and his website.

Scott, you're no poser. You're a true defender of the metal faith.

I salute you headbanger
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Oh just to say... 90% of black metal is boring and suxxxxxx big time.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Gilbert wrote:

The guy is stupid.

I developped most of my metal knowledge, and spent lots of money buying new albums, thanks to scott and his website.

Scott, you're no poser. You're a true defender of the metal faith.

I salute you headbanger

Thanks.

I wasn't taking the insults to heart. I actually found it humorous and thought people here would get a kick out of discussing this topic of "tr00 metal". I guess I was right. Haha.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:49 pm

N0 p0s3r3s, N0 untr00 m3tal fals3s... 3VEN LESS GR@MM@R!!!! angry

It's just to easy Razz
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 pm

All of yov posevrs are doing it wrong! YOU ARE ALL FALSE AND UNTRVE AND UN-KVLT. All know that the latin alphabet and it's lack of "u"'s makes it reign svpreme.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Laughing very hard my bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tr00 metal
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next