Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tr00 metal

Go down 
+26
Wurthless
Gilbert
metalheaded
kmorg
Alex Dee Rokket
DallasBlack
Vexer6
DevZor
mc666
choosemetal
Temple of Blood
Addy
Lurideath
journeyman
jstate
Dark Horseman
exact33
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
bgsully
manny
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 pm

I thought this might make for some interesting responses. I've been having a discussion with a guy who claims that I am a 'poser' because I listen to lame-ass glam rock and don't know what real metal is. Apparently bands like Burzum and Watain are the only "tr00" metal while the bands on my site are "poser metal".

Gotta admit, I have no idea who Watain are. I don't care even slightly about Varg and Burzum, but then I don't really care about black metal in general.

First of all, what's with "tr00"? Is it uncool to spell correctly? True metal!

Second, what makes metal "tr00"?

Third, what makes me a 'poser'? Because I listen to the music I enjoy and don't restrict myself to one small sub-genre of metal? I've been a fanatic since the 70's. In what way am I pretending or "being a poser?" I think the poser is this 20-something who feels the need to waste his time pointing a finger at me.

And finaly, since when is black metal the only real metal? Frankly I think I'd have a better case for saying black metal isn't true metal as it focuses on philosophies, ideologies and attitude over music.

Thanks for letting me rant! Tr00 metal 438278

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Quote :
I've been having a discussion with a guy who claims that I am a 'poser' because I listen to lame-ass glam rock and don't know what real metal is.

Hoo-boy. Does this mean your site's "Hall of Shame" will have some new e-mails in it soon? Sweeet!!! Very Happy

I've got everything from Slayer to Loverboy to Warrant to Sepultura in my CD collection and if any of that makes me a poser, "untr00" or "non-kvlt" or whateverthehell, then ... so be it!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:39 pm

The guy is an idiot, but it does no good to discount an entire genre in response.

However, I don't reply to genre debate stuff anymore, this one gets sat out.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Stuff like this pisses me off. So basically he's saying that you listen to the bands that founded the metal sound, yet it's all poser metal? Sabbath is Poser Metal? Madness. Sabbath is as true as you can get.

As for these black metal bands, I enjoy hearing them to pass the time but don't keep solid track of them (I so do love Horde but have no idea if that's tr00 black metal or not). Moreover, they're nowhere near as hard, threatening, or violent as the thrash bands of the 80s. At least that's how it is to me.

I get so sick of hearing guys like this claim they have such a strong ear for their music, yet it contradicts all common sense. I doubt he even listens to these bands!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
The guy is an idiot, but it does no good to discount an entire genre in response.

However, I don't reply to genre debate stuff anymore, this one gets sat out.

LOL, agreed; that unorthodox thread really tuckered me out.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:44 pm

I guess that makes me a poser since I like and listen to most everything Scott has listed on his site. lame Razz
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Haha. I think he's just young. I actually thought the conversation was amusing. I just knew some people here would have fun with it.

No, I won't be adding it to my Hall of Shame. It was a private discussion though PM on Facebook. If he had sent me an email or posted publicly on my Facebook, I would have added it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 2:49 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Haha. I think he's just ignorant.

Fixed it..
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:04 pm

I never understood that attitude, you don't eat the same food everyday, have sex in one postion, watch only one type of programming, movie, so why limit yourself to what type of music you listen to?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:

No, I won't be adding it to my Hall of Shame.

Dang! Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:14 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Stuff like this pisses me off. So basically he's saying that you listen to the bands that founded the metal sound, yet it's all poser metal? Sabbath is Poser Metal? Madness. Sabbath is as true as you can get.

As for these black metal bands, I enjoy hearing them to pass the time but don't keep solid track of them (I so do love Horde but have no idea if that's tr00 black metal or not). Moreover, they're nowhere near as hard, threatening, or violent as the thrash bands of the 80s. At least that's how it is to me.

I get so sick of hearing guys like this claim they have such a strong ear for their music, yet it contradicts all common sense. I doubt he even listens to these bands!

It doesn't piss me off. I find it to be really odd and somewhat funny. The word poser has been thrown around long before bands like Burzum were around. I can remember all the thrashers in the 80's calling all the LA bands posers. I seem to remember hearing an interview with Dave Mustaine just before Killing Is My Business came out saying that Metallica were "posers". He referred to Kill 'em All as "Slow 'em All". Haha.

As far as I know, Horde are not tr00 black metal because "tr00" also mean 'evil'. Like I said, it's as much about the attitude and ideologies as the music itself.

Administrator
ultmetal

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Haha. I think he's just ignorant.

Fixed it..

Yes, you are correct.

manny wrote:
I never understood that attitude, you don't eat the same food everyday, have sex in one postion, watch only one type of programming, movie, so why limit yourself to what type of music you listen to?

Because that's is 'tr00'. If that's 'tr00' then I'll gladly wear the 'poser' tag. headbanger

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Quote :
Horde are not tr00 black metal because "tr00" also mean 'evil'.

To be "tr00" black metal you gotta be from Norway and you have to kill somebody. It's like a gang initiation.

Horde does not fulfill either requirement, thus they are posers. Pffft. Untr00!!

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:27 pm

But the scary thing is a lot of people DO do stuff only one small way and it's always the wrong stuff. We just don't have a grip on how free we really are sometimes.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:40 pm

007 wrote:
I guess that makes me a poser since I like and listen to most everything Scott has listed on his site. lame Razz

Same here! affraid
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I just looked up Watain. They are a Swedish black metal band.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:45 pm

I didn't know people still used the "tr00" thing. That feels so 2003 Ultimate Metal forums to me.

So I'd say he is the poser.

Plus, no one poses like black metal dudes. They pose in caves, in front of churches, in graveyards, in fields, on mountain tops, holding upside down crosses, and so on.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I like it. Alot. But Zombie's right, the makeup and shit...and have you seen the music videos? If we're taking that word literally, they are very much posers. If anyone were the antithesis of a poser, I would think it to be Airbourne or Brother Cane. Maybe even Pearl Jam. As for metal, name a thrash band (sorry I keep returning to the thrash bands).
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:52 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Plus, no one poses like black metal dudes. They pose in caves, in front of churches, in graveyards, in fields, on mountain tops, holding upside down crosses, and so on.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I don't agree that some of the stuff that is called metal actually is metal and I've explained my view ad nauseam so I'll leave it there. This does not mean that I think that it is lesser music than metal or poser (unless the band in question are just posers, and BM like every genre has enough of those). I like lots of different music, pretty much from ABBA to Enya to Slayer and Mayhem, it all has merit if it's good and worthy of respect.

I was looking at the Purson single on YouTube and the comments section has been invaded by adolescents slagging it off for not being metal! Duh, it's not even supposed to be metal! But because Metal Blade have a distribution deal with Rise Above they are with Metal Blade in the U.S. and it's them that have posted the vid. If these guys hate it, I don't understand why they don't just go and listen to the latest Shredded Foreskin record and leave it at that. It was the same with the Glam/Hair scene, I didn't like it, but I didn't feel the need to attack those who did, I even respected some of the bands (Skid Row & well just Skid Row really! lol! )

But I think that it works both ways and I don't think that a lot of Black Metal places a higher emphasis on ideology than music, some of the Black Metal guys are extremely creative and worthy of respect. The fans, different story!
Back to top Go down

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 4:07 pm

The whole "poser" argument became irrelevant to me around the time I left Junior High.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Terrible. I think I'll stick to being a poser. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 4:13 pm

The fans are ALWAYS a different story.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 4:14 pm

This guy who sent the email sounds insecure to me. Having to tell someone else they are not Tr00 or dont listen to the right music is hypocritical for metalheads since one of the common themes throughout is not following the establishment.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 pm

The term heavy metal means different things to different people. I and ULT are around the same age and have labeled bands such as AC/DC, KISS, and Aerosmith as metal, because that is what they were labeled when we were growing up.

S.D. who is also are age, does not agree, not a big deal. The term heavy metal or metal just does not seem to mean much of anything to anyone outside the program director at VH1 Classic.

You can barely get two people to agree what bands/artist are considered heavy metal, some people say Blue Cheer is pioneering heavy metal, others are like, ferget about it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tr00 metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tr00 metal   Tr00 metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tr00 metal
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next