Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?

Go down 
+25
A Handful of Wayne
nevermore
rajah
metalken
mr.electric39
JBall_Z
Gilbert
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
Alex Dee Rokket
manny
martinsane
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Infinite
James B.
jstate
80s Metal Lady
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
SpectreFate
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 pm

I used to love Master Of Disguise. I still like a lot of the songs, but the album sounds over-orchestrated to me now. The ending to the title track always bugged me. I faded it out on my Lizzy compilation cassette I used to have. It's the same with Helloween. I'm not into their stuff as much anymore for the same reason. Visual Lies is more solid without all the orchestration.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 7:58 pm

I think "Appointment With Death" is is much more like old Lizzy, whereas "Deal with the Devil" was just a bad album all-around. If you really wanna hear Lizzy go a different [but pretty still pretty cool] direction, check out the Starwood album. Kinda like Enuff N'Nuff with good vocals! haha

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

I actually liked both of these tunes, never even heard of Starwood band, but very cool

Last edited by manny on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:43 am

I own one album by Lizzy Borden, love you to pieces.

And i believe it's an essential item in every metal collection.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Good song.

Actually, Appointment with Death is the only Lizzy Borden cd I own, but I haven't listened to it in a couple of years.

Sax, you've inspired me to give it a spin.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 3:18 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
"Deal with the Devil" was just a bad album all-around. If you really wanna hear Lizzy go a different [but pretty still pretty cool] direction, check out the Starwood album. Kinda like Enuff N'Nuff with good vocals! haha

What didn't you like about Deal with the Devil?

I just spun the Starwood album again. It's better than I remembered. The songs stuck in my brain like an ice pick through the eye socket.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Quote :
People often accuse them of being W.A.S.P. clones, but that's ridiculous as well. They existed at the same time as W.A.S.P. and were actually a popular club band in the same demographic at the same time as W.A.S.P. in the early 80's.

I never understood that comparison either. I think some of that had to do with their live stage shows and the fact that the PRMC targeted both of them. I know I discovered both bands at the same time via those efforts - so the PMRC was at least good for that. Musically the clone thing I couldn't see.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
If so, what is your favorite Lizzy Borden album?

I'm partial to "Love You To Pieces". A solid slab of heavy metal with meaty guitar solos and memorable songs. Psychopath, Red Rum, Move You To Pieces, American Metal...all classic Lizzy.

Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlFCDV2ioOtyiSTUBLRLoPN_VsIuhbCtE5zTDiDt-LNnW9x1gz

Love You To Pieces was the one....

Flesh eater and AMERICAN METAL!!!

Nothing much after that disc really caught my ear...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 am

This thread made me pull out my vinyl copy of "The Murderess Metal Road Show" and give the packaging a good look over. This double record set was my first encounter with Lizzy Borden like others have said here; and has been my favourite (probably due to the sentimentality). It is pretty wild that this was the third release for them on Metal Blade.
Great packaging as the gatefold has individual photos of each member and the actual record sleeves are filled with a ton of b/w photos on one side and lyrics on the other along with the credits and thank you' s.
Also inside was a one sheet with an ad to purchase the video of the show in either VHS hi-fi or BETA hi-fi; $29.95 plus shipping. It was a bit too steep for my blood at the time so outside of you tube videos, I've never seen it. But a quick look at amazon tonight allowed me to get the DVD for only $10.00. Should be in my mailbox in 5 business days.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:28 am

I did see that Lizzy Borden 'Murderess Metal Road Show' had been issued on DVD and at a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/Lizzy-Borden-Murderess-Metal-Road/dp/B00006JMR6/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1365686880&sr=1-1&keywords=lizzy+borden
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 am

I'd say the DVD of that era is great fun.....heading over to amazon now
They put on some good shows....

W.A.S.P wrote better songs but Lizzy had better musicians (IMHDO)

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 am

Quote :
is it just me but do he and Mike Lee of Barren Cross have similar vocals

I wouldn't say so, but one guy who does (or should I say, did) sound very similar to Lizzy was David Taylor of Jacobs Dream, especially on their first (self titled) album. The song "Mad House of Cain" on that record is pure Lizzy.

...unfortunately by the time JD rolled out their second album (Theater of War) that dude's voice was shot to hell.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Tough to choose, probably a tie between Visual Lies and Master of Disguise. Mad props to Deal with the Devil, really liked that one too.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 10:23 am

Menace To Society is probably my favorite. Notorious is such a killer song!! I haven't heard any of their stuff since they've reformed. I should remedy that.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Just got done listening to all their albums on shuffle for the last 2 days. For some reason I just felt like listening to them all of a sudden. Probably from seeing them post stuff on facebook the last couple of days haha.

My first album of theirs that I heard was their newest one and then I worked from there. All their albums are pretty good. I think Deal With The Devil is my favorite then the newest album (i'm having a brain fart right now) and probably Master Of Disguise. The others are pretty much a tie.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Love This band...I really like 'Love You To Pieces' and 'Visual Lies' but must say I am very impressed with 'Appointment With Death' (except the song "under your skin"..I hate this song)...I remember buying their stuff on cassette back in the 80s and yes I remember Ronald Reagan calling them and their style of music A Menace to Society in a speech he gave...Did anyone ever see their show back in the day?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 11:53 pm

I only own love you to pieces.

Solid album. But I haven't played it in over 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Inspired by this thread I picked up a copy of Deal with the Devil.
I have not heard any Lizzy Borden since junior high.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Deal With The Devil is excellent. I bought that as a new release on a visit to my sister in North Carolina and listen to it regularly ever since.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Honestly, this is why I love this place-the 80's vibe here is so strong! I remember owning "Give "em the Axe" on cassette and listening to it through my Walkman at night.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 3:19 am

As far as vocalists sounding similar to Lizzy,I always thought him and John Arch were very similar.Anyone else hear it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 8:06 am

Picked up menace to society and master of disguise, both of which are very good. I am tempted to pick up their last two as well.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 1:47 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Been a lifer since whichever Metal Massacre they were on.  Ran out and got the only cassette that I could find, which was Murderess Metal Roadshow.  A live album.  Did not know until many years later that Slagel had the balls to put out a double-live album from an unknown band that was NOT conforming to the Sunset Strip ideology and only had, what?  One album and an EP?  I am buzzed and not willing to factcheck myself, but it was something like that and the first of its kind.  Still Krank it all the time and love it.  AMERICAN METAL!
Lol that's pretty much how I discovered them. Still one of my favorite live albums to this day. I never got much into them though after that. I bought Love you to Pieces, and loved that one also, but that was as far as I ever went with them. I do have Menace to Society and Master of Disguise I bought recently at a used record store a few months ago. I like those okay, but still like the other two much better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2