Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?

Go down 
+25
A Handful of Wayne
nevermore
rajah
metalken
mr.electric39
JBall_Z
Gilbert
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
Alex Dee Rokket
manny
martinsane
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Infinite
James B.
jstate
80s Metal Lady
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
SpectreFate
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Empty
PostSubject: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 2:27 pm

If so, what is your favorite Lizzy Borden album?

I'm partial to "Love You To Pieces". A solid slab of heavy metal with meaty guitar solos and memorable songs. Psychopath, Red Rum, Move You To Pieces, American Metal...all classic Lizzy.

Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlFCDV2ioOtyiSTUBLRLoPN_VsIuhbCtE5zTDiDt-LNnW9x1gz

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Visual Lies is my favorite, but I love them all.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 pm

I only own two of their CDs - Visual Lies and Deal With the Devil. I dig'em both but I prefer VL. I really should get around to collecting more of their catalog one of these days.

I saw Lizzy at L'amour in Brooklyn on the Master of Disguise tour back in '89, 90, whenever the hell that was. Very Happy That show actually was what made me a fan. At the time I think I'd seen the "Me Against the World" video (Lizzy with his face covered in silver paint, hahahaha!) and that was about all I knew from them, I'd heard them being dismissed as "W.A.S.P. lite" so aside from that track I'd never bothered to investigate them any further.

Anyway, I went to the show with a buddy who was a HUGE Lizzy Borden fan as a favor, cuz he had no one to go to the show with. By the end of the gig I had to admit, they were a damn fine live band, lots of fun to watch (and thankfully Lizzy left the silver face paint at home, haha).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Lizzy kinda slipped under the radar for me back in the day. My only memory of them was their appearence in the 'Decline' movie. And even then, their cover of 'Born to be Wild' was weak.

It wasn't until Deal With The Devil came out and I took notice. I remember my buddy Jim that worked at Tower Records told me that I needed to hear this new album over at the listening station. Bought it that day as a new release. Still sounds great after all these years too.

Based on that album, I picked up a "Best of Borden" comp album to get a taste of the older material and see if there was anything else worth tracking down. While there is some good tunes on there, nothing really jumped out at me and I never bothered getting any of the older albums.

Appointment with Death is another great latter-day album. He's about due for a new release someday soon I hope. That Starwood album ain't cuttin' it. Not terrible, but ain't great neither.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:10 pm

I've always been partial to Visual Lies.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Definitely a fan. I like all of their material, and I really dug Deal With The Devil.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Quote :
Based on that album, I picked up a "Best of Borden" comp album to get a taste of the older material and see if there was anything else worth tracking down. While there is some good tunes on there, nothing really jumped out at me and I never bothered getting any of the older albums.
This. And is it just me but do he and Mike Lee of Barren Cross have similar vocals?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :
This. And is it just me but do he and Mike Lee of Barren Cross have similar vocals?

Not similar at all. Mike Lee reminds me of Bruce Dickinson, whereas Lizzy has a very unique and distinctive voice that doesn't really compare to anyone else.

Last edited by ultmetal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Visual Lies is one of my favorite albums ever!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Been a long time fan. Master Of Disguise is probably my favorite although those last two recent albums are really really strong.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

I dig the "Give EM The Axe" E.P

and the rest of the 80's output is great stuff too.

Been meaning to grab the recent stuff and scoope it out !

Those clips sound good to me, thanks for posting them

Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Been a fan since Menace to Society, and that's probably still my favorite. They've never made an album that wasn't great, though.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Been a lifer since whichever Metal Massacre they were on. Ran out and got the only cassette that I could find, which was Murderess Metal Roadshow. A live album. Did not know until many years later that Slagel had the balls to put out a double-live album from an unknown band that was NOT conforming to the Sunset Strip ideology and only had, what? One album and an EP? I am buzzed and not willing to factcheck myself, but it was something like that and the first of its kind. Still Krank it all the time and love it. AMERICAN METAL!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 9:58 pm

I will tell a Lizzy Borden story in the Beaten Metal Path thread now....check it out.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Murderous Metal Roadshow was my LB introduction and it BLEW ME AWAY! Raced right out and got the EP and Love You To Pieces and have been a fanboy ever since. Heck I even dig the EP he did with Betsy Bitch and their awesome "Don't Touch Me There"...

In my book LB can do no wrong, as Keith mentioned I saw LB live last year, no the same as 90' i know but he was the epidomy of a showman and even for 100 people he brought out all the props and hammed it up to my glee!

Last edited by martinsane on Thu May 01, 2014 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 pm

I had one album by them/him, liked ok but I did not hold on to it. I am not really fan of these guys but if I see any of their albums dirt cheap I will pick them out and give them another go.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:52 pm

manny wrote:
I had one album by them/him, liked ok but I did not hold on to it. I am not really fan of these guys but if I see any of their albums dirt cheap I will pick them out and give them another go.

Manny - Just knowing you a little bit - Give Lizzy another chance. Just Youtube the hell outta them. You are a lover of sleaze. The Lizzy Borden band was just a little before their time.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 pm

I remember well that Lizzy Borden was "different" (better) than most LA bands of the early 80's.

KCAL FM (out in Redlands) had a nightly 1/2 hour metal show and they played two songs back to back that gave me hope in early '84 for our local scene. "Give Em The Axe" and "Street Killer" Two tunes that to this very day make me crank up the volume
headbanger

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 am

I love Lizzy Borden but I don't really like any of the new albums released after they reformed in the early 00s.

My favorite is Love You To Pieces but I also really like Master of Disguise, which reminds me a bit of same era Queensryche.

Btw what would you classify Lizzy Borden as? I have seen it being called glam, do you agree?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 am

Love You to Pieces and Visual Lies are killer. Others are also very good, though I don't like them that much. As for classification, its American Metal
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 am

Been a long time fan of Lizzy and have all their releases. Hard to choose a favorite but if I had to go with one, I guess it would be Visual Lies. There are a lot of catchy tunes on it (actually, not a weak tune it!)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I love Lizzy Borden but I don't really like any of the new albums released after they reformed in the early 00s.

My favorite is Love You To Pieces but I also really like Master of Disguise, which reminds me a bit of same era Queensryche.

Btw what would you classify Lizzy Borden as? I have seen it being called glam, do you agree?

Why don't you like the newer Lizzy albums? They didn't really stray from their sound.

Lizzy Borden is Heavy Metal. Their sound is more akin to Judas Priest & Armored Saint than it is to the Poison/Warrant-type bands.

People often accuse them of being W.A.S.P. clones, but that's ridiculous as well. They existed at the same time as W.A.S.P. and were actually a popular club band in the same demographic at the same time as W.A.S.P. in the early 80's.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
manny wrote:

Manny - Just knowing you a little bit - Give Lizzy another chance. Just Youtube the hell outta them. You are a lover of sleaze. The Lizzy Borden band was just a little before their time.

Will do brutha
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 am

ultmetal wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :

Not similar at all. Mike Lee reminds me of Bruce Dickinson, whereas Lizzy has a very unique and distinctive voice that doesn't really compare to anyone else.

While not clones, I can certainly hear similarities.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Why don't you like the newer Lizzy albums? They didn't really stray from their sound.

Lizzy Borden is Heavy Metal. Their sound is more akin to Judas Priest & Armored Saint than it is to the Poison/Warrant-type bands.

People often accuse them of being W.A.S.P. clones, but that's ridiculous as well. They existed at the same time as W.A.S.P. and were actually a popular club band in the same demographic at the same time as W.A.S.P. in the early 80's.

I may have to give the newer albums a better chance but when I first heard them I thought the production sounded kinda strange - kinda muddy and disjointed. I think I approached the newer albums with the likes of Master of Disguise in mind, with that late 80s production and perhaps that's why I didn't connect the newer albums as well as with the older ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?   Any LIZZY BORDEN fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any LIZZY BORDEN fans?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next