Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Regrets...I've had a FEW

Go down 
+14
James B.
ZombieHavoc
jstate
SideShowDisaSter
chewie
BillRoxx
manny
Hadley
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
kmorg
Boris2008
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Regrets...I've had a FEW Empty
PostSubject: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 4:44 pm

So, you see a cd/vinyl at a record show or at a gig that the band is selling something or in a store, etc. You thought, "meh - I can pick that up later for cheaper". Bad Decision!

Me? I saw the Iron Maidens a bunch of years ago and they floored me. Just thought about it and looked up their 2 cds? 100 bucks a piece. Could have scored them for $10 each at the show.

I know, if I want to depress myself, I could come up with MANY more examples.

Go ahead - bum out for a minute:
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Probably not picking up Guns & Roses "LIVE ?!*@ LIKE A SUICIDE" original on import from a great, great record shop in Nottingham (Way Ahead Records - R.I.P) I umm'd and ahh'd before deciding that £21 was a bit too much to pay for a band I'd only read about.

Yeah, £21!!!!!! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 5:52 pm

No matter what is worth now, Boris - The music is still only worth 18p
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 pm

Where's Me Other Sausage then?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 6:15 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
No matter what is worth now, Boris - The music is still only worth 18p

Haha! My cousin has a similar story about Mayhem - Deathcrush on Posercorpse (This time the record store was the legendary Shades in Soho) I'd say that 18p would be pushing it a bit for that record though, maybe 13p! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 1:06 pm

I regret not picking up 100 copies of Equinox - Auf Wiedersehen, to secure my retirement Wink

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 1:34 pm

kmorg wrote:
I regret not picking up 100 copies of Equinox - Auf Wiedersehen, to secure my retirement Wink

I regret selling my copy of Heathens Rage EP. I regret not having a whole box of the stupid things from back when they were $5 from my buddy in the band. The last copy that showed up on Ebay sold for $500! BAH!

Thing is, for me personally, I don't even care how much it's worth, I just want it for sentimental/nostalgia reasons.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I passed up a copy of Mercyful Fate's first EP for $40 a number of years ago. I don't even have a turntable to play vinyl on anymore but that would've been a cool piece for the collection. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 pm

No one disc in particular, but I think back to those dark days before the inter-webs and when used shops were plentiful, I passed on many, many discs because I had no idea what the band sounded like and didn't want to risk buying something crappy.

If it didn't have a mention in a metal mag or good word-of-mouth, it got overlooked.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 pm

I remember being in a thrift store and seeing a whole bunch of original pressings of zappa and alice cooper vinyl. To this day i dont know why i didnt pick that stack up, especially since they were only .50.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm

I used to be obsessed with bootlegs, and this one story called Ace's had tons of them, all for around $20 to $50, this back when I only collected vinyl, and I could just not bring myself to spend the money I know is going to probably sound terrible. But love the idea of capturing a band live, with no overdubs, like capturing a moment in time.
Back to top Go down
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm

For me it was selling my pressings of Quiet Riot 1 and Quiet Riot 2!

I took $75 for both because I needed the money years ago!

Try and find em for that these days is impossible!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 1:45 am

Selling Humble Pie - Town & Country Lp. I bought it for about 3-4 dollars, I haven't seen a copy for a while and nothing under $20 or in the U.S.!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 2:36 am

How about selling my whole collection a few years ago? That's damn sure a HUGE regret, even if it WAS necessary... Sad

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 am

I've been lucky in that some regretted things I've passed over have been found later on.

One of my big ones was a few years back some guy was selling on ebay a lot of the old Metalshop radio shows on vinyl. I put in a few half hearted bids and then forgot about it. The final price ended up well within what I would've spent. Still on the lookout for those shows. Have people at Amoeba and Rockaway always on the hunt for me. And still nothing.

Way back when there was a song "Where Are You Now" by Jimmy Harnen that reminded me of a summer love. Always saw the album Can't Fight The Moonlight sitting in a dump bin. For years it sat there, and I always thought someday I'd get it just for that song. Fast forward over a decade and that song comes into my head. I think - off to amazon to get it for the proverbial .01 + 2.99 shipping. I was off by a few bucks...
http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Fight-Midnight-Jimmy-Harnen/dp/B000008GE6/ref=sr_1_

Don't even get me started on the 80's rap discs I've passed over only to see the prices reach the three figure mark. And unlike a lot of pricey rarities those things actually sell quickly if one pops up even a tiny bit south of a hundred.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 4:16 pm

When I was a kid, I always treasured picture discs, colored vinyls and such, firm in the belief that one day they would be worth a fortune, most aren't worth much more now than they were then, but some records that I never thought much about are fetching staggering sums these days. Like the regular U.K 7" of Iron Maiden Purgatory (I've had quite a few copies over the years) went for north of £60 recently!! I had all of the early Maiden 7" (EMI releases) back in the day and I've absolutely no idea what happened to them.

I think one day someone's going to look in the attic of my old house and find a nice little bonus!
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 am

My biggest regret is, of course, selling all my CDs/vinyl when I quit my job a few years ago. I needed the money to supplement my income while going back to school, and I also thought I'd be cool with just having the stuff on my iPod, but I missed my collection.

As far as missed opputunities:

Killer Dwarfs- Stand Tall for $4 used. I had it on tape, so didn't feel the need to double up. And didn't think it'd be hard to come by later.

I also once passed over the Liege Lord discog, for like $7 each. I hadn't heard them, but thought they looked like good 80s metal. Figured they'd be pretty cheap to buy later. At least those, unlike KD, I was able to get from iTunes, so I can listen to them.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 am

I regret not taking a couple of our EP's out of the band room the night before the fire.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 am

I mentioned this in another thread a couple of days ago but I also regret passing up on a used CD of X-Sinner's "Get It" years 'n' years ago. At the time I was still in the early stages of "upgrading" my cassettes to CDs, and when I saw that one I thought to myself, "Ehh, I don't need that one right now, my tape is still in good shape." Of course, I have never come across another CD copy of it since then, and that disc remains one of the Holy Grails of my want-list to this day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 am

Not being XENTRIX for whose advantage for 5 euros at a shop in Paris.

Many years later, i picked up for 30$
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 10:13 am

When I was a teenager I had saw in what is now FYE the soundtrack to the movie Rad (Which is a bmx movie, was into that as a teen) and I was like Ill come and get it next time, I never saw a printed copy of the soundtrack to this day, though I did get hooked up with a CD-R of it I never saw that printed copy on Tape again...
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Addy wrote:
When I was a teenager I had saw in what is now FYE the soundtrack to the movie Rad (Which is a bmx movie, was into that as a teen) and I was like Ill come and get it next time, I never saw a printed copy of the soundtrack to this day, though I did get hooked up with a CD-R of it I never saw that printed copy on Tape again...

The RAD! soundtrack seriously needs an official CD issue. The movie itself needs an official DVD/Blu Ray issue, for that matter.

Go Team RAD!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 pm

I thought Rad was on dvd. When Nostalgia Critic reviewed it he held up a dvd copy.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Rad is one you have to be careful with since it has been bootlegged to death. I'd be all for an official soundtrack and blu-ray release. Hell even BMX Bandits got a blu release. And yeah that is on my want list too.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 6:42 pm

you guys are such 80's nerds!!!!!!

They SHOULD re-issue "The Wraith" OST though [the movie can stay buried....If you have ever seen it, you get it. Winning!].
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regrets...I've had a FEW   Regrets...I've had a FEW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Regrets...I've had a FEW
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next