Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old School Rap/Hip Hop

Go down 
+23
brokentulsa
Wurthless
David Panzer
Wargod
Boris2008
GrandNational
jettafiend
Required Fields
manny
jstate
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
TheGreatDuck
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Hadley
James B.
mc666
Addy
Andy
Wallace2112
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace2112
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 27

Old School Rap/Hip Hop Empty
PostSubject: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Who else loves hip hop music?

some of my favorites are Diggable Planets, ATCQ, Del tha Funkee homospian and the Blue scholars. Most of the good stuff is all underground
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 am

The gods made heavy metal, not hip hop.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 am

I like some Rap and Hip Hop depends on who though
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:19 am

i still love the old hip hop that i grew up with. NWA, Public Enemy, Ice T, Ice Cube, Scarface, Geto Boys, 2Pac's first 2 albums, Digital Underground, Fu-Schnickens, Too Short, Da Lynch Mob, Cypress Hill, Easy E, Paris, 2 Live Crew, Eric B & Rakim, EPMD, Live Squad... hell there are a bunch of them.

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:40 am

I like some NWA, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, Ice Tea, Digitial Underground, Young MC, Grandmaster Flash

theres one song I know its by Biz Markie that I like but I dont know the name of it I know its by Biz Markie cuz my supervisor when I was working at Walmart and i would sing it I wish I could remember the name of it though

I also like KJ-52, Eminem, Beasties (early stuff) too
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:22 am

I worked with a guy who had the "Life Is Too Short" tape stuck in his car player. "In The Ghetto" was a good tune.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 988

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 2:57 pm

I like 80s rap like the fat boys, rum dmc, nwa (and the solo projects), the beastie boys (though my fav beastie boys song is sabotage and that has nothing to do with rap at all), and ll cool j. Not much a fan of the new stuff (i like some of eminem's stuff casually, but would never buy a full album).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Andy wrote:

lame

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 4:15 pm

The first two bands I ever listened to were Def Leppard and Run DMC. So yeah, I love hip-hop, especially the old school stuff. Far too many to name, however.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm

In middle school, I listened to some rap. Run-DMC, Fat Boys, Kurtis Blow, UTFO, LL Cool J, Doug E Fresh...I stopped around 1985 when I discovered Yngwie...

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 6:01 pm

S.D. wrote:
Andy wrote:

lame

+1
Few things are as annoying as closeminded metalheads and rockers dissing rap based on Lil' Wayne, 50 Cent and Souldja Boy.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 6:18 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Andy wrote:

lame

+1
Few things are as annoying as closeminded metalheads and rockers dissing rap based on Lil' Wayne, 50 Cent and Souldja Boy.

Isn't your statement kinda/sorta calling the kettle black ?

and how do you know dude's opinion is based on the examples you gave ?

There are alot of reasons to dislike rap/hip-hop other than current artists of that particular type of music.

I don't care for it mostly cause of how it samples other people's music and there is rarely any interaction between actual musicians in the recording and performing aspect of it. I am a musican first and that is the basis of my not caring for it much. So being a rocker/metalhead has nothing to do with it, much less being closeminded. As little as I know, it is obvious that there is a differenc between hip-hop and rap.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 6:42 pm

James B. wrote:
I don't care for it mostly cause of how it samples other people's music and there is rarely any interaction between actual musicians in the recording and performing aspect of it. I am a musican first and that is the basis of my not caring for it much. So being a rocker/metalhead has nothing to do with it, much less being closeminded. As little as I know, it is obvious that there is a differenc between hip-hop and rap.
I've always found the whole rap versus hip-hop to be ridiculous. People say rap is a musical style, while hip-hop is a lifestyle. Those suggesting the latter are idiots. Hip-hop is rap with a new trendy, marketable name.

As for the sampling comment, that's just a small fraction of that style of music. And it is music, and it is not easy to do.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
James B. wrote:
I've always found the whole rap versus hip-hop to be ridiculous. People say rap is a musical style, while hip-hop is a lifestyle. Those suggesting the latter are idiots. Hip-hop is rap with a new trendy, marketable name.

As for the sampling comment, that's just a small fraction of that style of music. And it is music, and it is not easy to do.

And I still don't like it. My reason is simple, lack of melody. I've yet to hear anyone whistle a rap song. I don't deny it's a viable musical style but it's one I just happen do dislike with a fiery passion.

Actually, now that I think about it, I consider rap/hip hop to be equivalent with death metal in my book. I fail to hear any melody in either and therefore avoid both like the plague.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 7:35 pm

I respect your opinion, Toho. I'm fine with people not liking hip-hop, I just hate it when people deride it as stupid non-music that plagiarizes other musicians and has stupid lyrics about hoes n smurf poo.

And some hip-hop does have some melody to it. The guitar work on these Run-DMC songs is on par with most hard rock acts that were around at the time. Too bad there weren't more acts that managed to fuse classic hip-hop with classic hard rock so well.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm

a lot of newer hip hop/rap has tons of melody to it, since it has gotten so intermixed with R&B.

i don't really listen to much of the newer artists though, since i'm so far removed from it. i stick with the artists i grew up with out of nostalgia.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
I respect your opinion, Toho. I'm fine with people not liking hip-hop, I just hate it when people deride it as stupid non-music that plagiarizes other musicians and has stupid lyrics about hoes n smurf poo.

And some hip-hop does have some melody to it. The guitar work on these Run-DMC songs is on par with most hard rock acts that were around at the time. Too bad there weren't more acts that managed to fuse classic hip-hop with classic hard rock so well.

I have to admit, those tunes are OK. It's kinda like one of my guilty pleasure bands Rage Against The Machine. I can't whistle their songs either but the guitar riffs are there and that's enough for me.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 8:31 pm

When I was fifteen, I got my first job working in a lumber yard -- I was the only white kid on the crew, and the rest of the guys used to bring their radios and listen to then-current rap/hip-hop like this all day long. So I heard a lot of:

Public Enemy

(Mind you, this was at least two or three years before P.E.'s teamup with Anthrax suddenly made them "cool" for white kids to listen to, so I was hip to them early...Haha)

Jungle Brothers (this one used to crack me up)

Schooly D

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Not a fan... I prefer music where people actually play instruments instead of programming it......
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm

So when I helped out my buddy in Sacramento at his recording studio and these "rappers" came in to record some stuff. My initial exposure to what they were doing was deemed "hip-hop" by myself while discussing the drum patterns I was gonna program for them. I was given a dissertation by three individuals at once as to the errors of my way. What they did was rap and hip-hop was something else altogether. Their belief, not mine. So my view is based merely on that interaction and nothing else.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:21 pm

What does it matter if rap is muisc and it is not easy to do surprised

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 2:21 am

James B. wrote:
What does it matter if rap is muisc and it is not easy to do surprised
Seemed like you were suggesting that it's not music and is just sampling and stealing music.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 7:24 am

S.D. wrote:
Andy wrote:

lame

agreed
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 7:26 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:

DOH How could I forget the Kings of Rock!!!!!! I Loved RUM DMC

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 9:48 am

Never cared much for it at the time, but listening back to some of these clips now, it's kinda entertaining. It wasn't something that I got much exposure back in the day, so it never made an impact on me.

The only album I have in my collection that might fall into this category is the Beastie Boys Liscensed to Ill. And there's a coupla of tunes on the Less Than Zero soundtrack that I play through when I'm listening to that album too.

PostSubject: Re: Old School Rap/Hip Hop   Old School Rap/Hip Hop Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old School Rap/Hip Hop
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next