Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Top 10 Albums of 2012

Go down 
+53
Alex Dee Rokket
scottmitchell74
superjuice
BillRoxx
Gryphon-kl
Ben Grimm
Eyesore
Witchfinder
Chrome Locust
brokentulsa
krokus
MetalRob331
CRIMSONMASK
Addy
allthingsmetal
firestarter
Dellocatus
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Shawn Of Fire
nevermore
stormspell
mr.electric39
80s Metal Lady
iamrockerfun
SideShowDisaSter
Grimmo
metalhead777
kethdredd
kmorg
MetalGuy71
jstate
exact33
Red Kitty
Gilbert
Thrasher73
mc666
jettafiend
Andy
Wargod
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
Temple of Blood
Vexer6
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
tohostudios
ultmetal
ZombieHavoc
BearOnUnicycle
Fat Freddy
Orion Crystal Ice
labrekk
SpectreFate
57 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 4:08 am

In no particular order for me yet (though I'm pretty sure that 4Arm is gonna take number one for this year... that album just pounds my head in every time):

After All - Dawn Of The Enforcer
Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth
Suicidal Angels - Bloodbath
Vindicator - United We Fall
4Arm - Submission For Liberty
Possessor - City Built With Skulls
Overkill - The Electric Age
Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
Blessed Curse - Blessed Curse
Prong - Carved Into Stone

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 am

After picking up Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill on Friday, I can add that to the list. Which I figured anyway. He, more than any of his contemporaries, are capable of putting out completely modern sounding, but totally vintage albums.

Also, while this doesn't count as favorite album of the year, those 2 new Stones songs are kick-ass. I wish Grr was not a hits package, but a new studio album full of songs as good as those 2.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Madonna - MDNA
Rihanna - Unapologetic
BloodBound - In the Name of Metal
VA Rock of Ages - OST
KiD Rock - Rebel Soul
Aerosmith - MfAD
Jimi Jamison - Never Too Late

asap rest
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 4:10 am

ultmetal wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Unisonic - 'Unisonic'
Saint - 'Desperate Night'
Jorn - 'Bring Heavy Rock To The Land'
Accept - 'Stalingrad'
Heretic - 'A Time Of Crisis'
Driver - 'Countdown'
Primal Fear - 'Unbreakable'
Possessor - 'City Built With Skulls'
Vindicator - 'United We Fall'
Liberty N Justice - 'Hell Is Coming To Breakfast'
Oceans Of Time - 'Faces'
Cricus Maximus . 'Nine'
The Sacrificed - 'III'
Testament - 'Dark Roots Of Earth'
Tourniquet - 'Antiseptic Bloodbath'
Kiss - 'Monster'
Teramaze - 'Anhedonia'
Mortification - 'Scribe Of The Pentateuch'

Dissapointment:

Firewind - 'Few Against Many'

The Sacrificed - 'III' was one of my biggest disappointments. I really was looking forward to this one, but the production really doesn't work for me. The vocals in particular are recorded or mixed or something terribly wrong.

I really like the Sacrificed - III, the production is rough, sure, but for me that adds to the appeal. I actually like the fact that it is not all glossy and polished. The one downside is Eli's voice, there is some sort of effect or compression or something that was used and it is detrimental to the whole product. My big disappointment this year is the Teramaze album. I just can't seem to get in to it, and I have really tried to like it.

That's the production issue I was talking about. The vocals are just all mashed together and you can't understand a word he says. With soaring power metal vocals like that, you really want to be singing along, but it all sounds mumbled. Obviously it's not, it's a recording flaw, or mixing issue or something.

I don't have any experience with sound recording and production other than manning the board Sunday mornings. One thing that I do know, though, is that the wrong kind of mic will seriously mess with the vocals or instrument that is being mic'ed. I wonder if that is the case here or if it was more of a poor studio set-up and low quality equipment. From NLTM you said that the reason that there was no bass on RIHP was because of studio issues. Same kind of deal here perhaps?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 11:36 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Ideally, I'd like to pick up both the new Soundgarden and Black Country Communion before I attempt such a list, but I know Van Halen and LA Guns will be in there somewhere.

Looks like I'll wait and hope that Santa brings me those 2, so here's my list for 2012.

11. Accept - Stalingrad
It didn't grab me right off the bat, but it's grown on me.

10. Joey Ramone - ...Ya Know?
Got this one late in the year, so it could move up in the rankings at some point

9. Orange Goblin - Eulogy for the Damned
Another one that took a few spins, but it's another solid release from this band

8. Nitrogods - s/t
An "out of nowhere" release that had me hooked from the first spin and the repeated spins thereafter

7. Lit - A View From The Bottom
A nice comeback that picks up right where their last one left off

6. Storm Corrosion - s/t
A little out of the ordinary of what I usually listen to, but unique and captivating nonetheless

5. Aerosmith - Music From Another Dimension
Surprisingly better than I expected, as long as I skip the numerous ballads (bleh!)

4. The Cult - Choice of Weapon
A vast improvement over their last one. Even the ballads are good on this one. Welcome back, fellas!

3. Christian Mistress - Possession
Another "out of nowhere" release that had me hooked from the first spin and the repeated spins thereafter

2. LA Guns - Hollywood Forever
This one came outta nowhere, but was immediatley a favorite without feeling forced or dated

1. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
This one probably stayed in rotation the longest for me. It was a great comeback and I hope they stick together long enough to follow it up with some new material.

Disappoinments: 3-way tie
Slash - Apocalyptic Love
Grand Magus - The Hunt
The Sword - Apocraphon

I had very high hopes for all 3 of these albums and all of them fell way short, even after many, many tries. They came out average at best.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 am

I piled up a pretty decent heap o' CDs this year but the majority of 'em have been back-catalog stuff from thrift stores, yard sales and the like. Looks like I only bought seven (!) new releases in 2012:

Metallica - Beyond Magnetic EP
Overkill - The Electric Age
Accept - Stalingrad
Joey Ramone - Ya Know?
Scorpions - Comeblack (2011 release outside of the U.S.)
Dokken - Broken Bones
KISS - Monster

Off the top of my head I can't really think of any other albums that I'm absolutely dyin' to have before the year is out, so I think I can comfortably proclaim that Accept, Overkill, and KISS would be my top three, in that order.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 7:54 am

Paragon - Force of destruction.

Such an underrated band. Their new album smokes from start to finish headbanger
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 9:05 am

Going through some of this year's releases in trying to come up with a top ten it has occurred to me that this has been one great year for music. And there still are several I haven't gotten to yet or don't own. Personally, 2012 is shaping up to be one of those banner years.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 9:10 am

jstate wrote:
Going through some of this year's releases in trying to come up with a top ten it has occurred to me that this has been one great year for music. And there still are several I haven't gotten to yet or don't own. Personally, 2012 is shaping up to be one of those banner years.

i would agree. I am going to take a week and listen to all my 2012 releases at one time but looking over my list, it has been a wonderful year for music.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
at had me hooked from the first spin and the repeated spins thereafter
2. LA Guns - Hollywood Forever
This one came outta nowhere, but was immediatley a favorite without feeling forced or dated

No doubt. Didn't expect to like this one as much as I do. Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 11840

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 am

labrekk wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Biggest Disappointment : Running Wild - Shadowmaker (bland, lifeless crap)

Well, Shadowmaker might not be the best album of 2012, but it's still a fine album overall, and the one I enjoyed the most from the band (if there's actually still a band and it's not Rolf solo) since The Rivalry.

I've only heard a few of the 2012 albums mentioned in this thread (too busy listening to "new-to-me" '80s albums). Shadowmaker was one of them and, while it's not as solid as many of Running Wild's albums from the past, these two tracks are awesome. I can listen to them on a continuous loop:

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
labrekk wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Biggest Disappointment : Running Wild - Shadowmaker (bland, lifeless crap)

Well, Shadowmaker might not be the best album of 2012, but it's still a fine album overall, and the one I enjoyed the most from the band (if there's actually still a band and it's not Rolf solo) since The Rivalry.

I've only heard a few of the 2012 albums mentioned in this thread (too busy listening to "new-to-me" '80s albums). Shadowmaker was one of them and, while it's not as solid as many of Running Wild's albums from the past, these two tracks are awesome. I can listen to them on a continuous loop:

I think Shadowmaker is a grower of an album. Its not close to Black Hand Inn but it is pretty enjoyable.

mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 am

Man it has been a quirky year for sure..... at least for me....

Some albums under consideration....

The Sacrificed -III
German Pascual - A New Beginning
Saint - Desperate Night
Accept - Stalingrad
Pastore - The end of the flames
Rush - Clockwork Angels (just didn't get a lot of spin from me.... not sure why..... will have to listen again....

Teramaze - Anhedonia

like I said a weird year....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 6:09 am

The new PARADOX is coming in two weeks and from what I've heard so far would be a solid top-5 for me. So for now I'll only list my wooden spoon champions - a tie between MORTIFICATION and RUNNING WILD
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 10:39 am

I'm starting to realize it is going to be next to impossible to narrow this year's list to just ten. A lot of what I'm going through for the year jumps into the top ten upon being played. Gotta love a year like this. Too much good stuff.

Was just listening to Collision Course this morning - got me real hyped for this new Paradox coming.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:52 am

jstate wrote:
I'm starting to realize it is going to be next to impossible to narrow this year's list to just ten. A lot of what I'm going through for the year jumps into the top ten upon being played. Gotta love a year like this. Too much good stuff.

Was just listening to Collision Course this morning - got me real hyped for this new Paradox coming.

I always rank just about every release I got for the year (round it to the nearest 10-i.e. if I have 32 CDs, I only ranka top 30). My problem is rating the CDs as I may like a certain album differently than another instead of more but I have to rate one higher than the other to come up with a defininte top list. I'm always second guessing the order I put them in. I have a VERY hard time picking favorites.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 am

I'm liking that Teramaze but I don't think I can put it in my top ten.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 12:02 am

1. Royal Thunder - CVI
2. Pallbearer - Sorrow And Extinction
3. Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol
4. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Ame
5. Witchcraft - Legend
6. 3 Inches Of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal
7. Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
8. Accept - Stalingrad
9. Anathema - Weather Systems
10. Enslaved - Riittiir
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 4:24 am

nevermore wrote:

4. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Ame
5. Witchcraft - Legend
9. Anathema - Weather Systems

Those three albums made my list as well, great stuff!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 10:36 am

I recently bought a Witchcraft album (thinking it was Legend) off the love that Legend was getting. Loved it and was ready to put it in my top ten. Only problem was I had bought their self titled release and not Legend. In my defense Hastings usually doesn't stock catalogue titles so it wasn't just my own idiocy that caused this. Anyway still got a hell of a record in that s/t and look forward to actually getting Legend at some point.

I've come to the conclusion there is no fair way to narrow my list to just ten. Too many great releases this year. And to think I actually thought when the year began it might be a down year for me.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm

I shall have a list in January as I've made my last large purchase of the year. I have ordered these 2012 releases:

Pride Of Lions-Immortal
Threshold-March Of Progress
Hess-Living In Yesterday
Eclipse-Bleed And Scream
Ten-Heresy And Creed
Jimi Jamison-Never Too Late
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Wow...out of all of these albums, I've only actually heard like 5 of them...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 pm

"Best" or "Favorite"?

Favorite, I will agree with the nominations for Accept, Van Halen, and Overkill right off the top. Will also throw in a few that grabbed me:

Loudness - 2.0.1.2.
Ministry - Relapse
Helix - Skin in the Game [technically the end of 2011, but I was in jail at the time]
Lita Ford - Living Like a Runaway
Municiple Waste/Toxic Holocaust - Toxic Split
United - Scars of the Wasted Years [re-recordings, but man does it sound killer!!!]
Acid Drinkers - La Part du Diable [Juan's cool, ain't no two ways!! He will help us get to where there is a place, good grub ain't rare, though they'll try - cause we ain't square, they may never find us there] Such KILLER RIFFAGE on this one. Can't stop listening to it!!

Wish list for 2013:
Saxon - Sacrifice [this cannot come out soon enough. Only gonna have about 3 weeks to absorb this album before seeing them on the cruise!!]
New Gama Bomb, King Kobra, and Agent Steel [? We can hope, right?]. Also wishing everyone here has a kickass 2013 and that Monty comes to terms with his fears and desires and gets a better taste in music.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 am

S.D. wrote:
Not much in the way of metal interested me this year (aside from High On Fire), but there have been plenty of decent prog and/or retro styled albums that caught my interest in 2012.

4. Ian Anderson - TAAB2 - Ian Anderson's well-thought-out sequel to the 1972 classic Thick As A Brick was probably the most unexpected surprise of the year. Ian assembled a fantastic band and Steven Wilson's production made it one of the best-sounding records of the year.

7. Witchcraft - Legend - After a nearly 5-year hiatus Witchcraft returned with the punchy "Legend", 2 new guitarists and a new drummer provide a muscular sound to the album as does the modern production sound which is quite a departure from their previous releases. Still, it sounds like Witchcraft and the songwriting is top-notch.

I'm listening to Legend on Spotify as I type this. I gave it a try because I like the band's name. Anyway, I'm really digging it. I've never heard of this band before.

I listened to TAAB2 several times a while back because I'm a big Jethro Tull fan (I had an obsessive period back in the day when they were all I listened to). I really wanted to like this album, but couldn't get into it. It didn't seem to flow well. There were a few disjointed flashes of brilliance, but nothing that held me for very long.
Back to top Go down
Dellocatus
Metal student
Metal student
Dellocatus

Number of posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 am

In no specific order:

Accept - Stalingrad
Steelwing - Zone Of Alienation
Katana - Storms of War
Slash - Apocalyptic Love
Rival Sons - Head Down
Bullet - Full Pull
Gotthard - Firebirth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2012   Your Top 10 Albums of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Top 10 Albums of 2012
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next