Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

20 Albums of 2012

Go down 
+9
metalhead777
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
adrian
mc666
nevermore
GrandNational
13 posters
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 3:55 pm

I was surprised someone on MSN would have a list like this on their entertainment section: http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/headbang-blog.aspx?feat=6909713a-5bcb-41ef-89f0-7242a5050ef7

1. 3 Inches of Blood: The Vancouver band has just completed their fifth album, and it’s said to incorporate all the best elements of 2004’s Advance & Vanquish, 2006’s Fire Up the Blades, and 2009’s Here Waits Thy Doom. Which, of course, means more top-notch old-school metal helmed by inimitable singer Cam Pipes. Look for this one to come out in April.

2. Accept: The seminal German metal band pulled off the kind of comeback so many of us were hoping for but weren’t certain would happen, with new singer Mark Tornillo fitting into the frontman’s role perfectly. The band wasted no time getting back into the studio with producer Andy Sneap, and 13th album Stalingrad is certain to be a highlight of this spring’s new releases.

3. Alcest: I’ve prattled on enough about the French band’s third full-length Les Voyages De L'Âme already. It’s out in Europe right now, hitting North America at the end of the month, and is already a serious contender for the year-end list.

4. Black Sabbath: You have to have realistic expectations when it comes to Ozzy Osbourne’s first Sabbath album since 1978. We’re not asking for another Master of Reality or Sabotage, but Tony Iommi is still a master craftsman of riffs (“Bible Black” remains a latter-day classic), and we can only hope this Rick Rubin-produced album will be better than “Psycho Man”.

5. Cannibal Corpse
: The death metal greats return with their 12th album in March. They have a good thing going these days with producer Erik Rutan, and we have every reason to expect the new record to be as strong as 2006’s Kill and 2009’s Evisceration Plague.

6. Christian Mistress: The Olympia, Washington band impressed with their debut album Agony & Opium a year and a half ago, and their first album for Relapse is even better, gritty, NWOBHM-derived tunes helmed by singer Christine Davis. Look for this one in February.

7. Cobalt: This is a bit of wishful thinking, as the duo of Erik Wunder and Phil McSorley take their own time putting albums together, but with US Army soldier McSorley back in the country after years stationed in Iraq, you’ve got to think a new album is coming soon. And if it does, expect it to be as mind-blowing as 2007’s Eater of Birds and 2009’s masterpiece Gin.

8. Converge: The crossover band’s eighth album All We Love We Leave Behind is in the recording stages now. Although they’ve never put out a bad album, I consider 2009’s Axe to Fall their best yet (yeah, even better than Jane Doe), and hopefully the new one will continue that momentum.

9. Ghost: Back in October producer Niels Nielson revealed he was busy recording the follow-up to the flamboyant Swedish band’s excellent 2010 debut Opus Eponymous, a record that has only gotten better over the last 15 months, in my opinion.

10. Gojira: The popular French band’s follow-up to 2008’s superb The Way of All Flesh is certain to be one of the year’s most heavily-hyped metal albums. Knowing these guys, they won’t disappoint, either.

11. Gorguts: The great Quebec band is back with their first album in eleven years. Guitarist Luc Lemay has been joined by Dysrhythmia’s Colin Marston and Kevin Hufnagel, as well as drummer John Longstreth (Origin, The Red Chord), so we can expect a dizzying dose of ultra-technical death metal.

12. Katatonia: The Swedes surprised us all by announcing recently that not only is a new album in the works, but they expect it to be out by early summer. Expect another album of brooding, slickly recorded, first-rate melancholic metal.

13. Mares of Thrace: The promising Canadian duo has completed their second album, recorded with producer Sanford Parker, and from what I’ve been told it sounds massive.

14. Meshuggah: The Swedish prog-metalers return with their seventh album this March. Meshuggah albums are always painstakingly composed and assembled, so any time we get a new one is an event in itself.

15. Napalm Death
: The best grindcore band on the planet returns in March with the follow-up to Time Waits For No Slave. Stream the new track “Leper Colony” over at Brooklyn Vegan.

16. Neurosis: It’s hard to believe it’s been five years since the release of Given to the Rising, Neurosis’s best album in ages, but the good news is their tenth album comes out this year.

17. Pallbearer: The forthcoming full-length debut by the Arkansas band is the finest doom metal album I’ve heard since 40 Watt Sun’s The Inside Room early last year. Rather than 40 Watt Sun’s introspection, however, expect Pallbearer to bring the darkness, groove, and atmosphere of traditional, cleanly-sung doom in a huge, huge way. Sorrow & Extinction comes out February 21st on Profound Lore.

18. Pig Destroyer: We’ve been waiting ages for the follow-up to 2007’s earth-shattering Phantom Limb, and it looks like we’re finally going to get it in 2012. Expect more astonishing riffs by Scott Hull and disturbing, Burroughsian narratives by J.R. Hayes, the best lyricist in metal today.

19. Portal: The enigmatic Australian band (pictured above) never fail to fascinate, and their fourth album is certain to contain more of the kind of dense, complex, suffocating death metal they’ve come to be known for.

20. Testament: 2008’s The Formation of Damnation was a welcome return to form by the Bay Area thrash veterans, one of the better thrash records in recent memory in fact, and if The Dark Roots of Earth (out on April 27th on Nuclear Blast) is anywhere near as strong, we’ll be more than happy.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Nice list! I have the Alcest ordered already. I listened to it recently as their label streamed it on youtube. I really enjoyed their last cd and liked the new stuff as well.

Looking forward to a few things off the list like the Accept, Christian Mistress, Katatonia, Gojira and Testament cds.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 7:30 pm

really looking forward to some of those. Napalm Death, Mares of Thrace, Cannibal Corpse, Testament, Pig Destroyer, & Gorguts. the new Asphyx is coming up soon too!

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:09 pm

mc666 wrote:
really looking forward to some of those. Napalm Death, Mares of Thrace, Cannibal Corpse, Testament, Pig Destroyer, & Gorguts. the new Asphyx is coming up soon too!

I haven't heard of 6 of the 20 bands listed, so it was good to check them out. The guy seems to know his metal well. I'm excited about the new Napalm Death, Testament, Black Sabbath, and Pallbearer on this list.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Some good ones, but the one I'm looking forward to above all (have said it many times before) is the new Viking!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:49 pm

POWERMAD
VIKING
TEMPLE OF BLOOD
INTRUDER
BLACK SABBATH
JUDAS PRIEST
LICH KING
SANCTUARY
RIOT (?)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Perhaps some new Overkill. 20 Albums of 2012 11840

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Testament !

Better Not be Formation of Damnation pt 2
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 12:21 am

EmoElmo wrote:
Testament !

Better Not be Formation of Damnation pt 2

No better it BE Formation Of Damnation Pt. 2. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 am

Very good list. a few I'm anticipating.
Back to top Go down
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 1:13 am

Accept, Priest, Testament...

2012 is very promising. I hope we get some new Helloween too!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:55 am

Only a couple on that list that interest me personally (Accept, Sabbath, Ghost & Testament), but this one in particular got my attention...

Quote :
17. Pallbearer: The forthcoming full-length debut by the Arkansas band is the finest doom metal album I’ve heard since 40 Watt Sun’s The Inside Room early last year. Rather than 40 Watt Sun’s introspection, however, expect Pallbearer to bring the darkness, groove, and atmosphere of traditional, cleanly-sung doom in a huge, huge way. Sorrow & Extinction comes out February 21st on Profound Lore.

Never heard of them, but I'm intrigued.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 2:11 pm

We already discussed this... but I'll say what I said last time and add a few more!

Autopsy - All Tomorrow's Funerals
Terrorizer Hordes of Zombies
Accept – Stalingrad
Asphyx - Deathhammer
Behemoth
Black Sabbath
Candlemass
Judas Priest
Rigor Mortis
Desaster - The Arts of Destruction
Dew-Scented
Enthroned
Grave
Helstar
Gospel of the Horns
Hypocrisy
Kiss – Monster
Korpiklaani
Kreator
Mael Mórdha
Malice
Marduk
Necrophobic
Sinister – The Carnage Ending
Suffocation
Testament – The Dark Roots of Earth
Unleashed
Voivod
Trollfest - Brumlebassen
Sodom
Slayer
Coroner (DVD and live album)
King Diamond/Mercyful Fate DVD's
Avenger of Blood
Death Angel - Death Angel: A Thrashumentary [DVD]
Naglfar - Téras
Exumer - Fire & Damnation
Obscenity - All You Can Kill
Attacker
Incantation
Hail of Bullets
Cathedral - The Last Spire
Enthroned - Obsidium
Triptykon - TBA
Anger As Art
The Crown - TBA
Swachbuckle
Destructor - Decibel Casualties
Dark Funeral
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Gimme new Accept, Overkill and hopefully a new Raven album (which I understand is in the works) in 2012 and I'll be a happy camper. crazy happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Lurideath wrote:
We already discussed this... but I'll say what I said last time and add a few more!

Behemoth
Korpiklaani
Kreator
Suffocation
Testament – The Dark Roots of Earth
Avenger of Blood
Swachbuckle
This years going to be fun. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

20 Albums of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20 Albums of 2012   20 Albums of 2012 Icon_minitime