Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What if......................

Go down 
+29
choosemetal
metalhead777
Boris2008
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
akeldama
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
Citanul
CRIMSONMASK
BearOnUnicycle
Leatherface
Hadley
TheGreatDuck
iamrockerfun
SpectreFate
Vexer6
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
Dark Horseman
A Handful of Wayne
jettafiend
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
James B.
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

What if...................... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 7:00 am

what if there's no reunion of KiSS in '96 ?
-||- Rob Halford didn't return to JP in '04 ?
-||- Slash now joins GnR with Axl ?
-||- Alice Cooper in '86 had no succefull return to scene ?
-||- Bon Scott didn't die ? what's gonna be next album and style ? could be AcDc bigger like the are now ?
-||- Richie Blackmore didn't left DP in '74 ?
-||- Ian Gillan stayed in BS in '83 ?
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 9:26 am

iamrockerfun wrote:
what if there's no reunion of KiSS in '96 ?
-||- Rob Halford didn't return to JP in '04 ?
-||- Slash now joins GnR with Axl ?
-||- Alice Cooper in '86 had no succefull return to scene ?
-||- Bon Scott didn't die ? what's gonna be next album and style ? could be AcDc bigger like the are now ?
-||- Richie Blackmore didn't left DP in '74 ?
-||- Ian Gillan stayed in BS in '83 ?

some of those have been asked in one form or another

what are your opinions on the questions asked above

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 10:07 am

my english is not so good to explain it in long hard terms. i can't describe deep opinions. it's very hard for me to do dat. but i like to read of yalll.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 11:52 am

If Slash had rejoined Axl someone would've got shot. They just can't work together it seems.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Required Fields wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
What if Sepultura never fired Max's wife and he remained with the band?

Obviously we wouldn't have Soulfly. Not quite sure how it would effect their music. Would they still have created the albums they did (without a different vocalist obviously)? Or would they have evolved into a nu-metal band like Soulfly? I'm not familiar enough with Soulfly or latter day Sepultura to answer this.

I'd only call the first two Soulfly albums nu-metal, and maybe the third. Anything Soulfly did afterwards is definitely not nu-metal.

I just go off other's account of their sound. I just don't listen to either band (no latter Sepultura albums and only the first Soulfly album). Also, the way you say ther first two and maybe the third being nu might be a reflection on how nu metal eventually went out of style and most of the nu bands went in another direction.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 4:20 pm

iamrockerfun wrote:
my english is not so good to explain it in long hard terms. i can't describe deep opinions. it's very hard for me to do dat. but i like to read of yalll.

I understand you fine, but know where you're coming from. The grammar difference makes it harsh (spanish to english) The last thing I wannna do is make somebody feel uncomfortable over such a premise. Apreciate your contributing and participation headbanger

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 4:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
What if Geoff Tate had stayed in Myth?

We'd have Myth and Geoff Tate's Myth playing different venues.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 4:57 pm

What if Phil Lynot didn't die and Thin Lizzy didn't split up, would the band have continued to go in a commercial direction?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
What if Phil Lynot didn't die and Thin Lizzy didn't split up, would the band have continued to go in a commercial direction?

I see Sykes sticking around for awhile anyways and giving them that harder edge on alot of songs. Lizzy had been going down that commercial road for alot of years before Phil passed.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 pm

James B. wrote:
1) What if John Bonham wouldn't of died? Would Zeppelin have continued with the keyboard based music ?

I believe Zeppelin would of called it a day shortly thereafter anyways

This is what I believe as well. I think those four guys were so talented, but they ultimately had the itch to go in different directions musically. I do believe they would have had some full scale reunion at some point in the 90's, perhaps some one offs for charitable causes. I think 1980 was such a huge change in the landscape of heavy music that Led Zeppelin instead of trying to fit in with the metal/hard rock genre, they just would have removed themselves completely from the equation, by disbanding. I think it was pretty obvious where they were musically with "In Through the Out Door", and that was nowhere near a hard rock sound. I think it was in the realm of possibility that Led Zeppelin would have had their Deep Purple/Perfect Strangers type of reunion, but I'm guessing it would have been after some long hiatus.  

I think that John Bonham might have been one of those gun for higher type of drummers and only because he might get too bored with a project or band. I think he's the type of guy whose curiosity of heavy metal might have set him up in a situation with a DIO or an Ozzy, but most likely I could have seen him with the likes of a Motorhead. When Phil left the band in 1984, I could see Lemmy reaching out to a guy like John Bonham. I think their indulgences with that of alcohol would have created this type of bond off stage as well. Lemmy was a no frills kind of guy, so this would probably entice John to join a band like Motorhead. Had John been alive in 1982, is it possible that a band like Judas Priest would have sacked Dave Holland, if they knew John were available and interested?  I also could see John playing in a super group type of situation. Is it possible that "Fast" Eddie Clark and Pete Way might have contacted a guy like John in 1983? Is it possible that someone like Tony Iommi would have contacted John after the "Born Again" tour, when it was just Tony left in Sabbath? Would John have gotten involved with a guy like Neil Schon, so instead of Schon & Hammer, you had Schon and Bonham? Is it even out of the realm of possibility to think that a band like Iron Maiden might have come calling after the departure of Clive Burr?

James B. wrote:
2)What if Bon Scott hadn't of died and finished what had been initially began on Back in Black ?   Would it have been the huge success it became ?

AC/DC would of still been huge.....even more so.  Bon Scott was maturing as a songwriter and his unique and clever lyrical ability was sorely missed after his death.

See, I don't see AC/DC being as huge. I see the Brian Johnson vocal style being more radio friendly then that of Bons'. I don't know if a clever lyrical ability necessarily lends itself to overall success? It might? The Bon vs Brian Johnson thing is a tough one for me, though I would probably lean towards Bon as my favorite. I tend to sour on AC/DC and their big hits with Brian in the band. I don't have to list them, because people know what they are. My favorite two albums with Bon are "Powerage" and "Let There Be Rock". My favorite two albums with Brian Johnson are "Flick of the Switch" and "Fly On the Wall". I like the aforementioned, because they're less popular then that of "High Voltage", "Highway To Hell", "Back In Black" & "For Those About To Rock".

So, had Bon lived, I would probably spin more AC/DC today, because I don't think they would be all over the radio to the point that they are.

James B. wrote:
3)What if Schenker stayed with UFO after the American success of Strangers In The Night?  How different would the next studio L.P have been compared to that of "No Place To Run", with Chapman?

If ya look at what MSG did as opposed to the first Chapman record. I kinda' sorta think ya get an idea as to what could've been.  Barden is a good front man, but ya have to be blind not to see the similarities between him and Mogg, especially on stage.

I only got into U.F.O. about four years ago, so I'm probably not the best person to talk about this, and it wasn't until a year ago that I checked into the M.S.G. catalog. Having said all that, I'm glad that Schenker left the group, as I really like what Chapman brought to the band, and I believe his time in the band was a very underrated four years. Had Schenker stayed, do I think there would have been keyboards used to the extent they were used or that of the sax by Neil Carter? No. I think this breakup spawned a good situation though. Sometimes things just run their course...

James B. wrote:
4)What if Peter Criss had stayed in KISS ?  Would The Elder or even Creatures of ever happened ?

I believe KISS would of faded away.....for awhile anyways

I don't see any reason why "The Elder" wouldn't have happened, but even if "Creatures" happened, we would never have had one of the best drum sounds in the history of music, if Criss played on that album. I can't imagine Eric Carr not playing on that record. To be honest, I don't think I can imagine KISS ever fading away, as Gene is too much the business mogul to let that happen. I think they would have gone through that rough period regardless, since the musical landscape was changing in the early 80's, hence the backlash to albums like that of "Unmasked" & "The Elder". I can't really explain the lukewarm reception to "Creatures of the Night" as we know it, as the record didn't even reach Gold status until 1994, and the tour was a colossal failure. The only thing I can say is this, the KISS army saw KISS as Gene, Paul, Ace, & Peter. Anything less, regardless of the greatness of an album like "Creatures", was unacceptable. Here again, I think we have a case where KISS was trying to see where they fit into the musical landscape. When they released "Creatures", they were essentially trying to play catch up after the failure of the last two albums. I think things might have gotten worse had Criss stayed. Thank God for Eric Carr!!!

James B. wrote:
5)What if Di'Anno wouldn't of been fired from Maiden? Would the band be as huge as they are now ? even together still ? or would of Bruce been a star if he stayed with Samson?

Maiden would of went the route of say Saxon.....Big in Europe perhaps, not so much in the States. Bruce would of stayed virtually unknown if he had stayed in Samson. His start with Maiden and thus super stardom was due mostly to timing than the fact of the talent in the band.

I think you nailed it with your feelings here. I think Paul Di'Anno shared so many similarities with the likes of a Dave Mustaine. As much as I love what both contributed to Maiden and Metallica respectively, I think both of these bands either implode or they fail to achieve what they have to this point. Like you stated, I think Maiden would have still been a European phenomenon, but they probably never would have gained that international status. Bruce Dickinson, like that of Brian Johnson for AC/DC made their respective bands, a well oiled machine. Bruce not only has been a great front man for Iron Maiden, but he's a renaissance man and has been a great spokesperson for the metal community. Di'Anno has never possessed those abilities. I think Lars Ulrich & Bruce Dickinson have always had a vision of where their bands needed to go to reap the successes and quite frankly put themselves in the best financial positions possible. In my opinion Bruce is a winner, and had he not found success with Samson, he probably would have found success elsewhere. Maybe not to the level he's had with Maiden, but he would have done well for himself.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 pm

jettafiend wrote:
What if Steve Clark would not have passed away when he did? Would Def Leppard have continued the downward spiral after Hysteria?

Based on the Hysteria session tracks included on Retro-Active and the more commercial sound of Adrenalize I think that they would have found a balance between the two. Adrenalize sounds like the pendulum was swinging back towards the hard rock/metal sounds of the past but never quite got there. My theory is that Joe Elliott, in part, blames the metal sound of the band for Steve Clark's drinking that killed him and the loss of Rick Allen's arm (Total guess based on interviews that I have watched, no firm reason). The future of the band would have gotten softer than Hn'D but not the crap that is "Sparkle Lounge." They would have maintained that more rocking side.

(Side note - Adrenalize is hands down my favorite DL album followed by Retro-Active, so there may be some bias involved. Hysteria still makes me wanna vomit tho, and always has).

Do you remember in Star Wars when Princess Leia recorded that video and placed it into R2D2 and it said over and over again, "Obi-Wan Kenobi you're only hope"? That's kinda how I felt about Steve Clark, and do to this day, I feel this (He was their only hope). He was Def Leppard's only hope. Def Leppard were never going to return to the days of "High 'N' Dry" and most likely were never going to return to the days of "Pyromania". The thing is, even with the lame songs on "Adrenalize" like "Lets Get Rocked" & "Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad" (neither written by Clark), you had songs like "Tonight" and "Tear It Down" which were written by Clark. There was always going to be a permanent give and take. It's like the Schon/Cain relationship in Journey. You have Schon, who wants Journey to be more of a straight ahead rock group and Cain, who wants Journey to become a lounge act. I think Steve Clark would have done everything he could to at least give fans half a good album. Take a look at Retro-Active. The best songs have Clark all over them: "Desert Song", "Fractured Love", "Ring of Fire", "I Wanna Be Your Hero", then you have songs like "Miss You In a Heartbeat" and "Two Steps Behind" (garbage, not written by Clark).

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Leatherface wrote:

What if Chris Poland and Gar Sumelson were never fired from Megadeth or at least stayed in the band for a couple of more records?

The band would have never recorded anything again due to having no gear after Gar and Chris hocked it all to buy heroin. Then at least a couple of them would have died, either by heroin o.d or by murdering each other.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Leatherface wrote:

What if Chris Poland and Gar Samuelson were never fired from Megadeth or at least stayed in the band for a couple of more records?

The band would have never recorded anything again due to having no gear after Gar and Chris hocked it all to buy heroin. Then at least a couple of them would have died, either by heroin o.d or by murdering each other.

It would have been bad news from a body bag standpoint. Gar was the reason Dave got into smack in the first place. He said if you want to be great one day, then you have to try heroin, and Dave wanted to be great. The band was bad enough off with two addicts (Mustaine & Ellefson), but four addicts continuing on would have been a recipe for disaster. It's a shame too, because I think Gar was technically the best player behind the kit that Megadeth has had, and I'm a big Nick Menza fan, so that says something. I'll say this, even though Mustaine was always the architect behind the music, I think the album "So Far, So Good, So What" would have sounded drastically different. Chuck Behler never did anything for me behind the kit. As good as a soloist as Chris Poland was, I think he was somewhat expendable. When it comes down to it, I think one of these guys dies if the four remained together for two albums, which most likely would have been 1990.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:32 pm

I would have loved to hear what So Far, So Good would have sounded like either with Gar & Chris or Nick & Marty. I really didn't rate Chuck & Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:41 pm

What if Mark St. John hadnt developed arthritis and was able to stay with Kiss (therefore eliminating Bruce Kulick from the band)?
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 am

What if Devin Townsend hadn't put an end to Strapping Young Lad?
I feel they would have continued on the proggy path that The New Black was taking, probably would have continued to gain popularity, Devin would still be high as a kite 24/7. We probably wouldn't have gotten the awesome album that is "While You Were Shouting at The Devil..." by Zimmer's Hole

What if Primus hadn't basically imploded as a band in the early 2000's?
I feel like their quality of music was kinda sputtering out with their last few albums, and they may not have gotten the big boost I feel Green Naugahyde put back into their music.

What if At The Gates hadn't broken up after Slaughter of The Soul?
Probably would been at a tie in popularity with their counterpart In Flames...without committing the musical equivalent to suicide.

What if Meshuggah stuck with their more thrash based music of Contradiction Collapse?
Probably would be another nobody thrash band.

What if Dimebag Darrel hadn't been shot?
I feel like with how Phil Anselmo treats everything, that Pantera probably would have patched things up come 2005-2008.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 am

Hadley wrote:
What if Mark St. John hadnt developed arthritis and was able to stay with Kiss (therefore eliminating Bruce Kulick from the band)?

Not that I minded Bruce in the band, but maybe they would have kept with the awesome solos Mark laid down on Animalize (I know, Gene and Paul didn't like it but they sounded awesome to me).
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 pm

What if Varg Vikernes never stabbed Euronymous?

Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 pm

choosemetal wrote:

Euronymous would be alive to burn down a church another day
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 6:15 pm

choosemetal wrote:

Mayhem would still suck. Burzum would still be annoyingly good but Varg would still be a dickhead.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 am

What if Tony Iommi hadn't lost the tips of his fingers?
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 6:31 am

James B. wrote:
I was gonna post this in Let The Music Do The Talkin ?

If it needs to me moved, feel free, no harm...no foul.....no hurt feelings

Anyways. on with it !  I'll give a question and my own take...please give your opinion as well, if any.

1) What if John Bonham wouldn't of died ?     Would Zeppelin have continued with the keyboard based music ?

I believe Zeppelin would of called it a day shortly thereafter anyways

2)What if Bon Scott hadn't of died and finished what had been initially began on Back in Black ?   Would it have been the huge success it became ?

AC/DC would of still been huge.....even more so.  Bon Scott was maturing as a songwriter and his unique and clever lyrical ability was sorely missed after his death.

3)What if Schenker stayed with UFO after the American succes of Strangers In The Night ?    How different would the next studio lp of been than other than No Place To Run with Chapman ?

If ya look at what MSG did as opposed to the first Chapman record. I kinda'sorta think ya get an idea as to what could've been.   Barden is a good front man but ya have to be blind not to see the similarities between him and Mogg. Especially, onstage.

4)What if Peter Criss had stayed in KISS ?  Would The Elder or even Creatures of ever happened ?

I believe KISS would of faded away.....for awhile anyways

5)What if Di' Anno wouldn't of been fired from Maiden ?   Would the band be as huge as they are now ? even together still ? or would of Bruce been a star if he stayed with Samson ?

Miaden would of went  the route of say Saxon.....Big in Europe perhaps, not so much in the States.    Bruce would of stayed virtually unknown if he had stayed in Samson.    His start with Maiden and thus superstardom was due mostly to timing than the fact of the talent in the band.

KISS did fade away for awhile, back in the mid 90s I could have gotten my pic taken with Gene and Paul and it would have been 10 bucks each and there was not much of a line
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 6:38 am

Citanul wrote:
What if Tony Iommi hadn't lost the tips of his fingers?
This message board wouldn't exist.

Or maybe it would, but it'd be called something completely differnet.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 7:05 am

Let's talk Maiden... what if Steve Harris had left the band... say after "No Prayer for the Dying"? Would they still be around?

My guess is that obviously Bruce would've left straight after "Fear of the Dark" anyway and the band wouldn't have made it through the rest of the 90's. A 00's reunion would've happened but there wouldn't have been any "Blaze albums"... who would've written the songs anyway?
Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 8:32 am

Ravenscraig wrote:

Let's talk Maiden... what if Steve Harris had left the band... say after "No Prayer for the Dying"? Would they still be around?

My guess is that obviously Bruce would've left straight after "Fear of the Dark" anyway and the band wouldn't have made it through the rest of the 90's. A 00's reunion would've happened but there wouldn't have been any "Blaze albums"... who would've written the songs anyway?

It's Steve's band - if he decided to leave there would have been no Maiden. No songs would have been written, no albums released. Maiden doesn't go forward without Steve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if......................   What if...................... - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What if......................
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: