Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+52
bass63
JBall_Z
Storm_Rider89
Wayne
mc666
Gilbert
Wurthless
corplhicks
nevermore
journeyman
Citanul
stormspell
metalinmyveins
Infinite
Chairman_Smith
kmorg
Lurideath
Boris2008
tul
Zze
Orion Crystal Ice
7thSaviour
Arjun_M
superjuice
A Handful of Wayne
SpectreFate
Eyesore
DeathCult
DallasBlack
chewie
sidmaximus
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
DevZor
Witchfinder
jettafiend
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
Lazlo Toth
thejokeriv
manny
Required Fields
Vexer6
James B.
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
akeldama
ultmetal
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 5:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:
I remember this band called Sabbath.......the old singer had issues and they got this other guy who had talent but didn't seem to fit what fans thought would work. The rest is history and it only goes to show that ya never really know.
I don't think this is a comparable situation.

Dio was the polar opposite of Ozzy, completely different singer. That difference allowed the band to write in ways they couldn't before, which led to Black Sabbath really evolving into a completely different band, there is very little sonically comparable between Sabotage and Heaven And Hell.

LaTorre is a Tate clone, watching a couple live clips he's just copying every single little nuance from Tate's performance. It's glorified karaoke. I'd have more respect for them if they found a singer with his own conception and actually allowed him to be himself...but going the Journey route and finding a "substitute" is just lame in my opinion.
He is surely not a Tate clone, despite being able to sound like him.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 5:47 pm

I listened to him do a mirror-image performance of Take Hold Of The Flame where every millisecond of his performance was an exact carbon copy of Tate's studio version...in my mind that qualifies as "clone".

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 6:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
I listened to him do a mirror-image performance of Take Hold Of The Flame where every millisecond of his performance was an exact carbon copy of Tate's studio version...in my mind that qualifies as "clone".
Well, this of course is only true in your world where you twist things to prove points. Yes, he sounds like Tate at times, but he surely doesn't sing "every millisecond" like Tate.

And have you ever considered that, maybe, it's a natural tone for him?

Sounds like Tate quite a bit on some of these. But regardless, it makes complete sense for him to sign the old songs as close to the originals as possible, especially if he can do it. If he didn't, fans would whine like the babies they are. Just look at Nightwish. Annette was a completely different singer from Tarja, and most fans couldn't handle that at all.
Back to top Go down
Lazlo Toth
Metal novice
Metal novice
Lazlo Toth

Number of posts : 25

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 10:02 pm

In a way, LaTorre is in a kind of no-win situation. If he sings too much like Geoff, he's a clone. If he sings too differently, it doesn't sound like Queensryche. What can a guy do in his situation?

LaTorre (in interviews) claims to be as much a fan of the Ryche as any normal person. Now he's living his dream. He cites Tate as an influence. He's stated that, as a fan, he has to decide how to sing to satisfy the fans and the fan-side of himself. I believe he's doing his best, given the situation he's put in.

I cut him some slack for that.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 am

Eyesore wrote:

I can tell you, as a singer, that the tone LaTorre is using is absolutely manipulated to sound as close to Tate as he can...it is not his "natural tone". It's also a case of this: He is a fan and has grown up singing these songs. Tate's nuances, tone, enunciation, etc are permanently etched into his brain and, almost by reflex, he sings the songs (or attempts to) the way Tate sang them on the albums (ie, the way he knows them).

No harm in that...and I understand it...but to insinuate that he may not even be trying to sound like Tate, and that it's just the way he sings, is short-sighted, IMO.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 am

Todd's solo album is the most anticipated to me right now.
Being that I generally don't like any changes in live settings, him singing Ryche songs as close to originals as possible is fine by me. I can't stand the majority of different versions of a song I already like.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
My prediction is that their new material won't be too great, but it'll sound old school enough to make folks on message boards happy.
I'd be completely okay with just a really good album, old school or not. I just worry they're setting themselves up for failure with all this talk of the old QR sound.

That'd be good enough for me. If it's a good album, sweet. If it's lame, well it's just another bad QR album to add to their list.

I predict heavy, modern w/ high-note screams...

at least it will be the first QR album in years I have any interest.

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
It's amusing that people are predicting that the new QR will suck because their main songwriter is gone. Newsflash folks, they sucked ass with their main songwriter. Could they be worse than they have been for the past 20 years?????

You are clearly wrong. The Tate video on youtube was absolute proof Geoff is the genius behind the band. Its take a lot of talent to write that kind of fiction as found in the video.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Funny how people used to talk about Geoff like he was untouchable and now they talk about him like he's worthless.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Funny how people used to talk about Geoff like he was untouchable and now they talk about him like he's worthless.

are you surprised after the stuff he has posted?

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 pm

exact33 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

are you surprised after the stuff he has posted?
Yeah, Geoff surely hasn't done himself any favors lately.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 pm

I am still Geoff Tate's fan, I don't give a rat's ass, if he is or isn't a jerk in real life, I am not going to hang out with the guy, I just want him to sing.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 5:49 am

manny wrote:
I am still Geoff Tate found, I don't give a rat's ass, if he is or isn't a jerk in real life, I am not going to hang out with the guy, I just want him to sing.

Bingo!

Yeah, I'm surprised people care at all about what he's posted, or what he wears, or what his personal life is like. The music is the important thing.

I remember a time when people acted like he could do no wrong. Now they act like he's nothing. They still talk that way about Dio, Bruce Dickinson, and others. How much do they really know about those guys' lives?

Or Todd LaTorre for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 8:05 am

Tate is still a soulful, strong, skilled vocalist. I love the guy. I just am not crazy about a lot of the music he's been on in the last decade or so. As I stated, there are good songs to be found post-PL...but even on the not-so-good songs, he still sings well. I don't care if he doesn't hit all the high notes so much anymore...it's not like he suddenly sucks as a singer.

If anything, I'm not so high on LaTorre like a lot of people are...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 3:20 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with Tate's ability to sing. He's fallen off a bit, but he's still better than 95% of other singers out there. The guy has a fantastic voice, no doubt.

And usually I'd agree that the music is all that matters, but this situation is different than most. This is the band's future at stake, the music, and that matters. I typically think a musician's personal life is none of our business, but this situation goes beyond personal lives. It's as much fan business as it is band business, at least on a certain level.

Therefore, when Geoff spews all kinds of lies, that matters to us because he's trying to not only fool the court but also his own fans. That makes it personal for us, to a degree, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I figure it's gonna be sort of a Judas Priest/JUGULATOR situation. Good enough to keep the die-hard following happy, but the casual fans won't give a hoot about it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I figure it's gonna be sort of a Judas Priest/JUGULATOR situation. Good enough to keep the die-hard following happy, but the casual fans won't give a hoot about it.

And if that's what it is, then great because I love Jugulator (probably in the minority).
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:06 pm

007 wrote:
And if that's what it is, then great because I love Jugulator (probably in the minority).

Count me as a fan. It just has the dumbest lyrics this side of an ICP record.

As for Queensryche, someone like me who hasn't really followed them since 1990, this doesn't affect me either way. I'd like to hear it, but it's nothing I would buy.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I doubt either camp or CRIMSON GLORY will put out anything as strong as that album, with all its flaws.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Imagine if they could put out something as awesome as this!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:34 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Imagine if they could put out something as awesome as this!

This song came up on my ipod yesturday. Love that song headbanger

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Well, this of course is only true in your world where you twist things to prove points. Yes, he sounds like Tate at times, but he surely doesn't sing "every millisecond" like Tate.

Sounds like Tate quite a bit on some of these. But regardless, it makes complete sense for him to sign the old songs as close to the originals as possible, especially if he can do it. If he didn't, fans would whine like the babies they are. Just look at Nightwish. Annette was a completely different singer from Tarja, and most fans couldn't handle that at all.

Yea I don't think he's a clone of Tate in any way. He has a similar style but Todds voice has more rasp to it, which Tate didn't have at all. Todd is singing the songs the way Tate sang them because thats what the fans want. If he came in and tried to do the Blaze Bayley thing like Maiden did, no one will like it or accept it. Todd is also a huge fan of Queensryche and he practiced singing the songs for years. The guy isn't a trained singer, he's even admitted that. When they have a new album out he will have his own style until then hes going to try to sing the old songs like they are suppose to be done. He is in no way a clone of Geoff. If anyone could be a clone to Geoff it would be Cyrus from Agent Steel, he's the only guy I've heard come close to Geoff, even with his phrasing.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
manny wrote:
I am still Geoff Tate found, I don't give a rat's ass, if he is or isn't a jerk in real life, I am not going to hang out with the guy, I just want him to sing.

Bingo!

Yeah, I'm surprised people care at all about what he's posted, or what he wears, or what his personal life is like. The music is the important thing.

I remember a time when people acted like he could do no wrong. Now they act like he's nothing. They still talk that way about Dio, Bruce Dickinson, and others. How much do they really know about those guys' lives?

Or Todd LaTorre for that matter.

how about this: his music is boring, unimaginative and his singing equals the music.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Fair enough.
Back to top Go down
superjuice
Metal novice
Metal novice
superjuice

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 6:41 pm

There's some really good songs on Q2K, but they really aren't metallic at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJghfLQaSfw

"The Right Side of My Mind" is a progressive rock masterpiece.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next