Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+52
bass63
JBall_Z
Storm_Rider89
Wayne
mc666
Gilbert
Wurthless
corplhicks
nevermore
journeyman
Citanul
stormspell
metalinmyveins
Infinite
Chairman_Smith
kmorg
Lurideath
Boris2008
tul
Zze
Orion Crystal Ice
7thSaviour
Arjun_M
superjuice
A Handful of Wayne
SpectreFate
Eyesore
DeathCult
DallasBlack
chewie
sidmaximus
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
DevZor
Witchfinder
jettafiend
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
Lazlo Toth
thejokeriv
manny
Required Fields
Vexer6
James B.
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
akeldama
ultmetal
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 am

My favorites in defending order are the warning, the ep, rfo, empire and o:m bringing up the rear.

I'm a relative newcomer to the 'ryche having only listened to them for a year or two now. I started out with o:m first and loved it. Having heard nothing more than than that I thought the sequel should be awesome. so I checked Out o:m2... Was that ever anticlimactic. Absolutely cringe inducing stuff. I have made a cursory glance over the rest of there latter day output and the reaction is always the same (shudder).

Like many of you as well, the sheen came off of o:m pretty quick. Not alot of staying power for me, but the first two, empire are all much stronger albums. The warning never gets old to me, I might even consider it one of my desert island discs.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:14 am

I thought that American Soldier was good, getting a bit boring to the end. But I had no (or extremly low) expectations, and being that it was my 2nd post PL album my opinion may be different. The first one I got was OP:II and it was terrible, but again I'm not that big of a fan of the first one - RFO is much better.

LaTorre sounds good, though it seems to me he hurts himself singing some of the material.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:56 am

I do not own, nor have I ever heard, Promised Land. Is it worth buying?

I have everything up to Empire, and then Mindcrime II as the only recent album. I've heard Hear in the Now Frontier and thought it was dull and lame.

So what's the verdict on Promised Land? Essential? Just mediocre?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 am

Promised Land is my 2nd favorite of theirs. Though its not as metal as their previous works.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 7:10 am

"Promised Land" is absolutely not essential. But it's worth hearing. Once or twice.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 8:48 am

I think the last great album form them was Empire. I bought Promised Land as a new release and was disappointed by it. I kept for the longest time hoping it would grow on me but it never took hold and I sold it off. I never purchased anything by them since except for Mindcrime II.

Mindcrime II is ok I suppose but it's a release I don't listen to very often (I may get rid of it,but I'm on the fence about it).
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 9:05 am

Promised Land is, IMO, Rage For Order's more organic, earthy cousin.

It takes the dark, weird vibe RFO has and removes the digital/computerized aura surrounding it and replaces it with the sound of a band playing in a room.

It's a very moody, brooding, melancholy, dark album. It's very melodic. It's not Metal...at all...but it's very Queensryche.

Sadly, it's the last great Queensryche album.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 am

I generally don't listen to much of their output since Empire. I had Promised Land and HITNF at one time but ditched them. I've gotten free promo copies of Mindcrime II, Greatest Hits and American Soldier, but they don't get much attention.

The last QR album I purchased was the covers album. I like it, but I think I'm in the minority on that one.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:03 am

I pretty much got off the boat after Empire. I've picked up a couple of their later albums since then (Here In The Now Frontier and Mindcrime II) and both of those were pretty "meh" so I haven't bothered with anything else.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice
sidmaximus

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:41 am

This band is too light for my taste. The reason I'm still digging this band with their early stuffs is because of Geoff's magnificent voice.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 am

Unfortunately Queensryche has been Geoff Tate featuring members of Queensryche since the release of Tribe (when he told DeGarmo that his "services are no longer required") - here's Tate's latest promo picture:

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Geofft11
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Promised Land is, IMO, Rage For Order's more organic, earthy cousin.

It takes the dark, weird vibe RFO has and removes the digital/computerized aura surrounding it and replaces it with the sound of a band playing in a room.

It's a very moody, brooding, melancholy, dark album. It's very melodic. It's not Metal...at all...but it's very Queensryche.

Sadly, it's the last great Queensryche album.

This is a great description of Promised Land!!!!!!!!! A more atmospheric and proggy 'ryche.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 pm

I have up to Promise Land. Empire is my favorite, I like 3-4 songs off of Mindcrime (the majority just doesn't do much for me), and the first three I prefer in acending order. In list form:

Empire
Queensryche
The Warning
Rage For Order
Operation Mindcrime
Promise Land
American Soldier

After HinNF (which didn't impress me at all) I never liked anything I heard and gave up after Tribe. Years later I found AS for cheap and picked it up. I somewhat enjoyed most of it but not quite enough for a repeat listen. This new version of QR piques my interest, but I need to wait and see before I jump the gun.

Last edited by DallasBlack on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:14 pm

What about "Dedicated To Chaos" ? I thought that one was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

You and Geoff are the only 2 to think it's "pretty good" I believe. Wink

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I think Mindcrime is a snoozefest. My favorite is the EP. I bought HITNF when it came out and I found it to be meh.

Compared to what came after?

Obviously they started SUPERIOR with the EP and went steadily downhill until 2012 when the big kitchens and bathrooms were not BIG enough and the aging tang took over the finances [yes - this happened well before '12 in the case of Tate]. But, Operation Mindcrime a "snoozefest"?

I find it to be overrated and uneven with many filler tracks. I also hate the story - but then again I generally dislike all concept albums.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

Sound about right! I listed it #1 in my worst albums of 2011 list. What a piece of smurf poo of epic proportions!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:39 pm

For those who think OM is boring, have you tried cutting out the non song parts? And I saw them do that live and man, it was an experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:39 pm

I really dig Promised Land, probably more so now than when it first came out. I'm so burnt on Empire that I can barely listen to it any longer, but Promised Land wasn't overplayed so still sounds fresh to me.

I would say it's an essential record for Queensryche fans, probably not essential for the "metal only" crowd.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

Sound about right! I listed it #1 in my worst albums of 2011 list. What a piece of smurf poo of epic proportions!

Like other 'Ryche albums post-PL, it has a couple of moments that are cool enough...but nothing that really pushes me to listen more than once...about an EP's worth of good songs.

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t18434-queensryche-dedicated-to-chaos

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
For those who think OM is boring, have you tried cutting out the non song parts? And I saw them do that live and man, it was an experience.

I saw the Building Empires tour and the Operation:Mindcrime part was amazing - solidified it as one of my favorite albums. Was a top ten concert of all time for me.

Promised Land - IMHO, a good album and worth getting. Just don't expect it to be a metal album. It took me a bit to warm up to it. I still feel that it is a bit short and one or two more heavy rockers would make it a great album. Still, I think it was the start of the downward slope for them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Geofft11

Looks like Rob Halford during his "Two" era....

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Halford3
QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Halford4

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:59 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I saw the Building Empires tour and the Operation:Mindcrime part was amazing - solidified it as one of my favorite albums. Was a top ten concert of all time for me.

Promised Land - IMHO, a good album and worth getting. Just don't expect it to be a metal album. It took me a bit to warm up to it. I still feel that it is a bit short and one or two more heavy rockers would make it a great album. Still, I think it was the start of the downward slope for them.

Years after I got rid of Promised Land, I heard some tracks from it on their Greatest Hits album and thought they sounded better than I initially rembered them. I'm not in any hurry to get the album, but I'd agree that it's probably aged better than when it was a new release.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Promised Land is the last good Queensryche album. Everything got progressively worse after that one. Most of the newer stuff isn't even worth a listen. I actually had never checked anything out past Hear In The Now Frontier until over the past month. They were never the best band in the world, but all those records are so bad it's ashame.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
There are good songs beyond Promised Land...but as whole albums, they're lacking. I rarely break out the post-PL stuff. I find something to enjoy about them to an extent...but the first 6 are magic.
These are pretty much my thoughts, though I do think Hear In The Now Frontier is a great album. Yeah, it's different, but the song quality is there. The songs are really good, in my opinion.

The albums that followed, while also different, just don't have enough solid material to call them good albums. I enjoy a number of songs between them, but that's it. Q2K is probably the best of that batch. DeGarmo's input couldn't save Tribe. And I still think American Soldier is pretty horrible aside from "At 30,000 Feet," which I think is a great tune. Mindcrime II had a few great songs, like "Re-Arrange You" and "The Hands," but it was far from great. Probably the best after Q2K.

I still don't own Dedicated To Chaos. And when I don't buy an album by a band I love, you know there's a problem. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next