Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+52
bass63
JBall_Z
Storm_Rider89
Wayne
mc666
Gilbert
Wurthless
corplhicks
nevermore
journeyman
Citanul
stormspell
metalinmyveins
Infinite
Chairman_Smith
kmorg
Lurideath
Boris2008
tul
Zze
Orion Crystal Ice
7thSaviour
Arjun_M
superjuice
A Handful of Wayne
SpectreFate
Eyesore
DeathCult
DallasBlack
chewie
sidmaximus
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
DevZor
Witchfinder
jettafiend
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
Lazlo Toth
thejokeriv
manny
Required Fields
Vexer6
James B.
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
akeldama
ultmetal
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 am

Listening to both "Redemption" and "Cold" again back to back, I think I like the feel of "Cold" better...it's moodier, the piano in the background is cool...I like the chorus to "Cold" better than "Redemption"...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Writing credits for Tate's QueensWreck revealed:

1. Cold (Rossi, Tate)
2. Dare (Slater, Tate)
3. Give It to You (Cox, Slater, Tate)
4. Slave (Slater, Tate)
5. In the Hands of God (Rossi, Tate)
6. Running Backwards (Irigoyen, Slater, Tate)
7. Life Without You (Slater, Tate)
8. Everything (Irigoyen, Slater, Tate)
9. Fallen (Slater, Tate)
10. The Weight of the World (Gane, Slater, Tate)

The writer of Cold is the punk that won Rock Star:Supernova (anyone remember that show?)
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Listening to both "Redemption" and "Cold" again back to back, I think I like the feel of "Cold" better...it's moodier, the piano in the background is cool...I like the chorus to "Cold" better than "Redemption"...

I agree with this. I'd also say that an hour after hearing the two songs, Cold is still in my head whereas I'm struggling to remember how Redemption goes. Am I the only person that likes the changes in Tate's voice? I really hate all of that high pitched squealing

I am quite surprised that I hate neither song.!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 4:25 pm

I woke up with the chorus of "Cold" stuck in my head the other day. It's a catchy tune. Both of them are. I think, however, that "Redemption" will have more shelf life. I'd venture to say "Cold" is a bit catchier, better for radio, but "Redemption" is nearly as catchy and much more interesting.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 5:38 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

1. Cold (Rossi, Tate)
2. Dare (Slater, Tate)
4. Slave (Slater, Tate)
9. Fallen (Slater, Tate)

The writer of Cold is the punk that won Rock Star:Supernova (anyone remember that show?)

Yea he sucked, they should have picked the female vocalist, instead of that poseur
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 5:45 pm

manny wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

1. Cold (Rossi, Tate)
2. Dare (Slater, Tate)
4. Slave (Slater, Tate)
9. Fallen (Slater, Tate)

Yea he sucked, they should have picked the female vocalist, instead of that poseur

Agree with you! It does seem to have gotten him the ability to sell a few songs to Tate (with the stipulation that Tate will re-write a couple lyrics so he can get a co-write credit, since that's how it works for songwriters who aren't names Desmond Child or Diane Warren)

I listened to both track again and still think Redemption blows Cold away. Cold still sounds like non-descript, boring modern rock to my ears.

It will be interesting to compare the albums one on June 11th.... guess I will have to compare off youtube clips since I won't be buying Tate's album.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Oh man ... this such a colossal train wreck.

it really is. Is The Geoff's ego so big he cannot see what is happening?

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Another clip has surfaced... Tate doesn't sound so great:

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 4:06 pm

I've actually never been a huge fan of Ryche. The albums before Mindcrime were the best, but I felt they were a bit derivative of a the speed and power metal bands that were better at that time. Mindcrime was the one album I could get into simply because of the melodies. Empire was just too damn slick, had a poppy feel that never jived with me. After that it was nothing but crap (I gave up after Q2K). Plus, never been a fan of Tate's voice, it gets annoying after awhile.

HOWEVER. Chris DeGarmo was a great guitarist and highly inventive with his melodies and harmonies. He is missed. I've been meaning to revisit the first two and the EP because I first heard those really late in the game when I was knee deep in Helloween/Armored Saint/Blind Guardian. I admit I didn't give them much of a chance, probably because Promised Land had come out and got me all bitter. My kids are still climbing all over me so I hope I made sense.

Last edited by corplhicks on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry, my kids were climbing all over me and I didn't really form this the way I meant to.)
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 4:27 pm

How are any of those records derivitave??? They sound nothing like speed or power metal. I can understand not liking them... But I'm having a hard time seeing how a record like the warning or rage for order can be accused of being derivative.

I guess I could see the debut being considered that as it is straight up metal and comparable to their contemporaries of the day... But after that queensrÿche's path, for better or worse, was pretty much there own.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 5:17 pm

I edited my above post for clarity, sorry.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 6:02 pm

I can see how promised land could be a turn off, but personally I think it's a fantastic prog record. It's weird and moody like a darker, heavier Pink Floyd record or something.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Another one - Tate sounds like he's mostly "speaking" the words... BGV's are horrid...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 8:17 pm

DevZor wrote:
I can see how promised land could be a turn off, but personally I think it's a fantastic prog record. It's weird and moody like a darker, heavier Pink Floyd record or something.

Agreed. I enjoy the style of that record more nowadays than any of their other albums.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 9:23 pm

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Queensryche+-+Rage+For+Order+(1986)

needs no apologies, nor descriptives
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Promised Land marked a new beginning for the band even though Chris was on his way out. I hated that album when it came out. Few years ago I pulled it out of storage and spun it again. My opinion at the time was one of those "cool, but they should've been under a different name" types. As for the first 2.5 albums, I'm listening to them on Rhapsody right now. All I can say is boy I can be f*cking wrong sometimes...more to come...
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 12:11 am

I'm enjoying the rare opportunity of being able to chill in my basement and spin vinyl. The warning is next in line. Can't wait... But I'm currently enjoying "paranoid" to much to skip ahead.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:47 am

Geoff really is bad these days. He seems to be getting worse day by day. Each new show that pops up online seems to show his voice in worse shape than it was the show before.

And damn, I think his new band might be worse than his solo band. Christ. I know all these lyrics by heart, yet I can't even sing along to these tracks because Geoff is mumbling and way out of key, and the band doesn't seem to know how to play the damn songs. Jeez.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:53 am

He's in a bad place. Anyone see the Rocklahoma show? I'm not just talking about his on-stage rant. The backstage interviewing showed him to be weirdly detached with little energy, but of course he was hating all the people he had to play with. On top of his horrible singing, his stage presence is obnoxious. The muscle is gone, he's turned into a robot.

On a positive note, yeah I was way wrong about their earlier material, this shit is cool. Not sure why I didn't care for it back in the day. It's like I'm hearing them for the first time. I still say power metal, though, but consistently mid-tempo for the most part and very melodic. Hearing those awesome DeGarmo lines rips me in two, man.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:58 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Queensryche+-+Rage+For+Order+(1986)

needs no apologies, nor descriptives

Phuqin rite. According to last.fm, that's my most played album since I've started using it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 2:00 am

That's what I've got on right now. My wife is laughing at me because I can't help from gritting my teeth. In a good way, that is.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 am

Tate is indeed working with a diminished range...but he's not out of key...just singing in a lower octave on songs where he used to sing higher.

That new girl doing Mary though, she was flat AND screwing up the lyrics.

Like I said earlier...I think Pamela Moore and Jimbo Barton siding with ToddRyche speaks to the validity of that band. I just wish I liked "Redemption" better as a song.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 9:08 am

Eyesore wrote:
Geoff really is bad these days. He seems to be getting worse day by day. Each new show that pops up online seems to show his voice in worse shape than it was the show before.

And damn, I think his new band might be worse than his solo band. Christ. I know all these lyrics by heart, yet I can't even sing along to these tracks because Geoff is mumbling and way out of key, and the band doesn't seem to know how to play the damn songs. Jeez.

I noticed that too - he's singing off key, speaking half the lines... and the Geoff Tate And Friends cover band - ouch! I swear it sounds like Robert Sarzo and Kelly Gray have consistent tuning issues, don't know the material very well (and Kelly Gray has been playing this stuff on and off for years) and just murder the solos. The drums have been simplified and completely lack the feel that Rockenfield plays with.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 9:09 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Tate is indeed working with a diminished range...but he's not out of key...just singing in a lower octave on songs where he used to sing higher.

That new girl doing Mary though, she was flat AND screwing up the lyrics.

Like I said earlier...I think Pamela Moore and Jimbo Barton siding with ToddRyche speaks to the validity of that band. I just wish I liked "Redemption" better as a song.

Yeah, that girl he hired to Mary is bad.... and she and The Geoff sounded HORRIBLE singing together. Saw a "backstage clip" she posted on youtube - she's also working the merch booth when she's not singing!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 9:46 am

Eyesore wrote:

And damn, I think his new band might be worse than his solo band.

I called that awhile back.

Tate probably could of fared better finding unknown musicians from a Ryche cover/tribute band than going the has been/hired gun route that he chose. (IMHDO)

Aside from Tate's voice, Queensryche's indentity was found in Rockenfield's playing. (IMHDO) and even if the other aspects (guitars,vox, b.vox) were in place, the simplified drumming would still be a damper on how the songs sounded.

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 22 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 22 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next