Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal

Go down 
+23
MetalGuy71
allthingsmetal
stepcousin
mc666
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
adrian
Lurideath
EmoElmo
Mglaffas81
Vexer6
Tur-Thalion
Hadley
Witchfinder
BearOnUnicycle
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
Lari
rawr!
tohostudios
DallasBlack
jettafiend
vgmaster9
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:11 pm

I figured you'd like Sir Russell Allen's voice. Unfortunely, his main band Symphony X is too proggy for your tastes and you weren't impressed with Allen/Lande.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Welcome to Subgenre Hell.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I figured you'd like Sir Russell Allen's voice. Unfortunely, his main band Symphony X is too proggy for your tastes and you weren't impressed with Allen/Lande.

You are correct sir. I like Russell Allen's voice a lot; his choice of genres? Not so much.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:22 pm

There's nothing "wrong" with any form of metal, or music in general. Some of us just don't find that sort of music to our liking. It doesn't matter what you call it, and frankly, I find the constant arguing on how to label music to be quite childish. Most of us on this board do not like Nu-Metal and Metalcore because it lacks the aspects of music that we personally enjoy. Taste shouldn't have to be justified.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

There's nothing "wrong" with any form of metal, or music in general. Some of us just don't find that sort of music to our liking. It doesn't matter what you call it, and frankly, I find the constant arguing on how to label music to be quite childish. Most of us on this board do not like Nu-Metal and Metalcore because it lacks the aspects of music that we personally enjoy. Taste shouldn't have to be justified.

Amen.

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm

What I hate about Metalcore is the "fad-dy" generic sound, you know the music's gonna die pretty soon (or is it?) , the drop D chug-chug chug breakdown, the clean singing, the poser screaming and the outfit .
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Amen.

I'll go ahead and amen that amen. Especially that last sentence. I love a lot of stuff people on here absolutly hate. Yet, that doesn't prevent me from enjoying it or even admitting it Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:37 pm

I find both styles to be monotonous, boring, run of the mill, talentless bull$hiiiit!!!!

Screaming and singing annoys the hell out of me. PICK ONE! Also as mentioned the breakdowns are constant, the drummers are clueless in what they are doing most of the time. The tough guy singer with the attitude is also lame and the chest banging that developed that these morons STILL do is dumber than dumb. Then look at all the fans they have. Air karate in the pit with brainless idiots!

This is just my opinion!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Quote :
Screaming and singing annoys the hell out of me. PICK ONE!

I think this summarizes my pet peeve as well. Don't tease me with melodically sung vocals that then lead into a growling chorus. If you're going to sing, sing; if you're going to growl, growl. That way I don't waste my time listening to 1 minute or so of your music only to find I hate it when you start growling.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:51 pm

I love the Adrenaline Mob album. Kind of a Disturbed sound but a good blend of styles.
Back to top Go down
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I find both styles to be monotonous, boring, run of the mill, talentless bull$hiiiit!!!!

Screaming and singing annoys the hell out of me. PICK ONE! Also as mentioned the breakdowns are constant, the drummers are clueless in what they are doing most of the time. The tough guy singer with the attitude is also lame and the chest banging that developed that these morons STILL do is dumber than dumb. Then look at all the fans they have. Air karate in the pit with brainless idiots!

This is just my opinion!

But Fear Factory does it so well...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

...and frankly, I find the constant arguing on how to label music to be quite childish.

Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 25679

THANK YOU! Another voice of reason out there in the wilderness.

Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 9:56 pm

I would consider the first couple Soulfly releases nu-metal. Fear Factory I wouldn't.

As far as metalcore, I think it's mostly the vocals that kill it for me
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 10:44 pm

It's odd how rarely folks here comment on solos and yet seem to use them as their primary justification in this thread for not enjoying metalcore/nu-metal.

90% of the comments about every band around here are about how the vocals sound. Even if it is a band whose vocals matter little, like PRIMUS or VIO-LENCE. And the other 9% of the comments are about a band's production.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 pm

But to be fair... KSE and Shadow's Fall make great music and I always pick their albums every time i'm in a Metalcore mood (happens only twice a year tho)
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

This type of comment is pointless. Yes, all music is subjective - we all get this. The question put to the forum was about why you do or don't like a certain type of music. The question wasn't about how all music is equally valid.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:04 pm

tohostudios wrote:
As for the "what is it that you find so wrong with metalcore" part of the original post, that's easy. Same thing I find so wrong with death metal; "WOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!!!" vocals.

I need vocals that carry a melody, not vokills that just shout, scream, growl, shriek or otherwise eschew melody.

Sometimes I don't even have to post at all. What this guy said!! Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 pm

All music is not "equally valid".

I can sketch some stick figures with my artistic ability but it's hardly equal in any way to what pros can do.

If someone prefers stick figures then fine, but that still doesn't make it "equally valid" artistically-speaking. It's neither as creative or requires as much skill.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
All music is not "equally valid".

I can sketch some stick figures with my artistic ability but it's hardly equal in any way to what pros can do.

If someone prefers stick figures then fine, but that still doesn't make it "equally valid" artistically-speaking. It's neither as creative or requires as much skill.

I believe I said all music is subjective. Which it is. Also you confuse technical skill with validity or worth. Those two things are not synonymous.

Last edited by Witchfinder on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:35 pm

i like a small handfull of nu-metal bands, but i like a lot of metalcore.

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

This type of comment is pointless. Yes, all music is subjective - we all get this. The question put to the forum was about why you do or don't like a certain type of music. The question wasn't about how all music is equally valid.

Pretty much agree to everything you said

Some people just don't get, they'll always hurl answers like, "Who cares, does it matter?" or " Why is a genre such a big deal to you?" ... these killjoys always make the discussion uneventful sometimes, I bet most of us don't want to get educated...we want to get entertained Very Happy opinion
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:49 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Pretty much agree to everything you said

Some people just don't get, they'll always hurl answers like, "Who cares, does it matter?" or " Why is a genre such a big deal to you?" ... these killjoys always make the discussion uneventful sometimes, I bet most of us don't want to get educated...we want to get entertained Very Happy opinion

lol!

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:52 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
I like Nu-Metal and Metalcore bands for the most part, the lack of guitar solos isn't really an issue for me, not every band needs to have them.

Solos are an essential part of the songwriting process in heavy metal IMO. How do you play air guitar if there are no solos? Haha! Seriously though, I'm not sure how guitar solos became uncool in the 1990's, but that was a stupid trend. It just made a lot of songs sound empty.

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:00 am

The trend of "guitar solos are unhip" was pretty stupid, but I gotta say that I do not think a guitar solo is required in EVERY damn rock/metal song either. Sometimes just having a cool melodic idea or bridge gets the point across.

ultmetal wrote:
How do you play air guitar if there are no solos? Haha!

Why does a grown man need to play air guitar in the first place? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:07 am

ultmetal wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
I like Nu-Metal and Metalcore bands for the most part, the lack of guitar solos isn't really an issue for me, not every band needs to have them.

Solos are an essential part of the songwriting process in heavy metal IMO. How do you play air guitar if there are no solos? Haha! Seriously though, I'm not sure how guitar solos became uncool in the 1990's, but that was a stupid trend. It just made a lot of songs sound empty.
I know they are, and don't get me wrong, I love solos as much as the next guy. I'm just saying with Nu-Metal and Metalcore bands I usually don't notice the lack of solos, though I do hate it when bands like Metallica abandon them for whatever reason. I'm definitely not a grunge fan though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal   Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two questions regarding metalcore and nu metal
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next