Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"

Go down 
+48
SpectreFate
Infinite
Lazlo Toth
Alex Dee Rokket
Hadley
Wargod
7thSecond
nevermore
Tur-Thalion
Citanul
ultmetal
James B.
kmorg
Big Rich
adrian
metalinmyveins
DevZor
Leatherface
Psychotron
chewie
Sutekh
glassprison
Lurideath
MetalFRO
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Wurthless
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
BearOnUnicycle
MEGATRON
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
stormspell
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
jstate
exact33
speed101
thejokeriv
ShadowAngel
GrandNational
Witchfinder
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 41  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 3:45 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
More Tate fun... according to his latest interview, he's part African:

http://www.sonicabuse.com/2012/11/geoff-tate-speaks-to-sonicabuse-2012/

Interviewer: There seems to be a strong rhythmic cadence to your vocal style, almost rap in places, is that an influence?

Tate: Oh yeah probably, one of my main influences in my life has always been R&B music and I’m part African, it’s my heritage, so it probably comes out – yeah. I think that the older I get, the more rhythmic a singer I become – the phrasing is sort of leaning to a more rhythmic delivery in what I do. I’m fascinated by creating holes in the music for the melody to work in a rhythmic fashion.

Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 29150046

Looks like that was not the first time he said that:

(speaking about the track Say U Luv It):

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/geoff-tate-kings-and-thieves-track-by-track/

Kinky sex? Well, yeah, of course I’m into it! It depends what your definition of “kinky” is. We all have our lines in the sand. But at my age, I don’t know what it is, I’m more interested in sex now than I was in my 20s. In my 20s and 30s I was more interested in pushing my career, more concentrated on accomplishment. Now, all I wanna do is Smurf! Luckily my wife is up for it – she’s at a wonderful age too. We’re having a great time now the kids are grown. I have African-American heritage and I joke to her: “I’m African-American from the waist down!”

I will take stereotypes for $500, Alex
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Next he'll be changing his name. Watch for "Tate Tha Funky Homosapien" bringin' tha noize soon to a supermarket or car wash grand opening near you.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
George hated Don so hard that he became black. I guess.

lol!

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Perhaps he can market this....

The Yngwie J. Tate cycle cell enema

"For those whos are so full of crap....make it come out the back instead of the mouth"

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 5:43 pm

The Geoff is becoming a caricature by the second.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Next he'll be changing his name. Watch for "Tate Tha Funky Homosapien" bringin' tha noize soon to a supermarket or car wash grand opening near you.
lol!

I like Del the Funky Homosapien, by the way. Haha.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 8:55 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
The Geoff is becoming a caricature by the second.

it seems his comments are the only thing that garners him attention.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 5:11 am

I found this interesting:

Quote :
Songfacts: I guess the most popular QUEENSRŸCHE song is "Silent Lucidity".

Geoff: Well, it's a song that was a Top Ten radio hit, so it has a lot of popularity, yeah.

Songfacts: You weren't a writer on that one, were you?

Geoff: Correct. I didn't write that song.

Songfacts: So what does it mean to you?

Geoff: That song to me? I love that song. I think it's a beautiful, beautiful piece. And although I didn't write it, I had a lot to do with shaping the destiny of that track through my melodic contributions and the way I sang it, and also in the mixing of the song and that kind of thing.

It had a strange beginning. It started out as simply just acoustic guitar and voice. And it wasn't until we were almost finished with the record, just in the last week of working on the record, that we added all the other instrumentation to it.

In fact, our producer didn't really want to put it on the record because he didn't think it was that well-developed as an idea. He was actually putting his foot down at one point saying, "No, I think you should come up with another song. You only have so many songs for the record, I don't think you should put that on the record." I think it's a good idea that he said that because it inspired Chris DeGarmo and I to really buckle down and finish the song and actually make it into what it is.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if what he is saying here is true, shouldn't he have gotten writing credits on it?

Full interview here: http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/queensr_che_founder_geoff_tate
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 am

Eyesore wrote:

Quote :

Geoff: Well, it's a song that was a Top Ten radio hit, so it has a lot of popularity, yeah.

Geoff: That song to me? I love that song. I think it's a beautiful, beautiful piece. And although I didn't write it, I had a lot to do with shaping the destiny of that track through my melodic contributions and the way I sang it, and also in the mixing of the song and that kind of thing.

It had a strange beginning. It started out as simply just acoustic guitar and voice. And it wasn't until we were almost finished with the record, just in the last week of working on the record, that we added all the other instrumentation to it.

In fact, our producer didn't really want to put it on the record because he didn't think it was that well-developed as an idea. He was actually putting his foot down at one point saying, "No, I think you should come up with another song. You only have so many songs for the record, I don't think you should put that on the record." I think it's a good idea that he said that because it inspired Chris DeGarmo and I to really buckle down and finish the song and actually make it into what it is.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if what he is saying here is true, shouldn't he have gotten writing credits on it?

Full interview here: http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/queensr_che_founder_geoff_tate

He's just trying to convince everyone that he was the creative person behind all of Queensryche's successful albums...... yet the truth is he was the creative person behind all their crappy albums
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 am

Eyesore wrote:

Quote :

No. If anything, it would have garnered him a co-producer credit. If he did not write any of the lyrics or the music/chord progressions, he did not co-write the song.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 pm

The Geoff is desperate to market himself but hasn't drank enough of his own wine to bite the head off anything or piss on a national monument.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Quote :

No. If anything, it would have garnered him a co-producer credit. If he did not write any of the lyrics or the music/chord progressions, he did not co-write the song.
Okay. I was never in a professional enough band, so I don't know how this stuff works.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Quote :
it inspired Chris DeGarmo and I to really buckle down and finish the song and actually make it into what it is.

Seems that is open to interpretation ?

To me it sounds more like a reference to writing than production.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 1:47 am

James B. wrote:
Quote :
it inspired Chris DeGarmo and I to really buckle down and finish the song and actually make it into what it is.

Seems that is open to interpretation ?

To me it sounds more like a reference to writing than production.

I would say that refers more to the arrangement of the song than writing.

Tate doesn't seem to be claiming that he wrote it, and if even he doesn't think he wrote it then it must be pretty clear that he didn't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 1:56 am

Citanul wrote:

This.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 am

S.D. wrote:
Citanul wrote:

This.

Yes. Adding texture, string ideas, melody ideas to a song someone else wrote is arranging/producing...not writing. The version on guitar only would have sounded very different to the lush, orchestral version on the album.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 am

S.D. wrote:
Citanul wrote:

This.

Some might have the opinion that arrangement is part of the writing process, other not.

A guitar player can have some chord progressions and let's say a bridge. The singer may have some lyrics and a vocal melody. Somebody else comes in and helps them throw it all together. In some bands, that "somebody" is the only reason the song came together at all. So what would that be labeled ? In my experience, it is part of songwriting.

Yngwie J. Tate stated the tune was just acoustic guitar and him singing. What is on the album is drasticly different than just that. So somehow him and De Garmo buckled down doing something together that caused that change.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:03 am

James B. wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Citanul wrote:

This.

Some might have the opinion that arrangement is part of the writing process, other not.

A guitar player can have some chord progressions and let's say a bridge. The singer may have some lyrics and a vocal melody. Somebody else comes in and helps them throw it all together. In some bands, that "somebody" is the only reason the song came together at all. So what would that be labeled ? In my experience, it is part of songwriting.

Yngwie J. Tate stated the tune was just acoustic guitar and him singing. What is on the album is drasticly different than just that. So somehow him and De Garmo buckled down doing something together that caused that change.

Yeah...adding drums, strings, bringing in Micahel Kamen, extending or shortening a part, going to a bridge sooner or later, saying "add this part you wrote to this other part you wrote", etc. That's production/arranging.

Adding a new part to the song that wasn't already there, in terms of lyrics and chord changes...that's writing. It's not a matter of opinion.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:32 am

thank you Shawn

I stand corrected

Quote :
Yeah...adding drums

opinion....

The guitar player asks me to tab out my parts measure by measure that I created to his chord progressions and the singers vocal melody and lyrics. I play an instrument, wrote down what I played and added something to the music of the song that wasn't there before. I can vary those parts and change the way the song is played from the vocal melody down to what key it is gonna be sung in or played. Depending on the talent and range of the singer.

The opinion factor comes in only because there are some singer/guitar players/lyric writers who would credit a drummer for his contributions while others would not.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 am

James B. wrote:
thank you Shawn

I stand corrected

Quote :
Yeah...adding drums

opinion....

The guitar player asks me to tab out my parts measure by measure that I created to his chord progressions and the singers vocal melody and lyrics. I play an instrument, wrote down what I played and added something to the music of the song that wasn't there before. I can vary those parts and change the way the song is played from the vocal melody down to what key it is gonna be sung in or played. Depending on the talent and range of the singer.

The opinion factor comes in only because there are some singer/guitar players/lyric writers who would credit a drummer for his contributions while others would not.

I don't mean the drum parts...I mean the decision to add drums at all...production decision. But even the drum parts don't merit a co-write credit on the song. That's more arrangement.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I don't mean the drum parts...I mean the decision to add drums at all...production decision. But even the drum parts don't merit a co-write credit on the song. That's more arrangement.

Don't always merit a co-write, but it can. Like I stated depends on the individuals involved. Us drummers get the shaft Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 am

James B. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Don't always merit a co-write, but it can. Like I stated depends on the individuals involved. Us drummers get the shaft Laughing very hard

Nah. It's like me, being the singer. If I sing a song Nikki wrote, even if I change the melody to make it fit my range, style, etc...that's not a co-write. That's production. The writer could decide to be generous and give a co-write, but that's not what it is. Same w/ drums, bass, keyboards, etc.

Anyway, I guess we're splitting hairs at this point. None of it matters anyway...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 am

I would give a co-arrangement if we're jamming on the piece and the drummer (or whichever player) introduces an idea that in turn inspires me to introduce an entirely new section in the song.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 am

The Geoff, who does not want to be a nostalgia act, put up a new video with his version of Queensryche, introducing the band and letting everyone know they would play the new album and Queensryche classics.... They forgot to edit out Drover, who looks VERY uncomfortable in the clips:

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:14 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The Geoff, who does not want to be a nostalgia act, put up a new video with his version of Queensryche, introducing the band and letting everyone know they would play the new album and Queensryche classics.... They forgot to edit out Drover, who looks VERY uncomfortable in the clips:

You're right. There's even an observation in the comments:

Quote :
Glen Drover's body language is VERY telling. This was NOT what he was expecting, and he clearly wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"   Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck" - Page 32 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Geoff Tate to Rocklahoma, "You Guys Suck"
Page 32 of 41Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 41  Next