Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Danzig

Go down 
+16
Wrecked Neck
metalinmyveins
ZombieHavoc
TrogDawn
muckie
Short-Fuse
manny
Glower
Witchfinder
Eyesore
Den77
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
GrandNational
mc666
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Wow! That is VERY Misfits sounding! I like it!
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am

My copy of Skeletons finally arrived last week and I'm sorry to say, it's sorta on the disappointing side of things. The entire thing, packaging, liner notes, production, etc. just feels cheap as hell.

I get it. In this day & age, musicians don't make squat and corners must be cut, but this is just piss poor. Cheap cardboard packaging, bare-bones liner notes, no booklet, no band photos. Then there's the music.

I'm not usually one to criticize production values, so you know it must be bad if I notice. Glenn's vocals sound all echoey and too loud. The instruments sound all muddy and vary in loudness from track to track. It's evident that these tunes were recorded at different times with different musicians and maybe places too. No consistency. I'm sure he (or rampant fans) will try to pass this off as "trying to recapture the old sound of the Misfits", but in 2015 it sounds like crap.

As for the songs, some work better than others. The lesser known ones of course sound cooler if you have nothing to compare them to. I will say that on even the better known songs, he does give them enough of a Danzig spin to make them his own. No problems there. But on the ZZ Top song 'Rough Boy', he interjects a few f-bombs in there that make it sound like that scene from 'Old School' and the Dan Band. You know the one I'm talking about...

It's 10 tracks that go by pretty quickly and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. So there's that. I won't say that I hate this or that it's unlistenable. It's interesting enough and I do like cover albums. But for a guy like me that lost track with Danzig some time ago, I wanted this to be a great comeback album that rekindled my interest for the man and his band. And that's where it failed. If this is indicative of what he's up to these days, I'll pass.

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 11:53 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
My copy of Skeletons finally arrived last week and I'm sorry to say, it's sorta on the disappointing side of things.

Yup, gotta agree with you there, man...it's pretty thin all around.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Yea, the whole thing just feels so darn cheap. From the packaging to the demo-like quality of the songs. I was at a record show Thanksgiving weekend and I almost bought this for $15, thinking it might be hard to come by. Glad I waited.

And I think Glenn needs to step back from the production console and let someone else offer up an opinion or 2. Sometimes you need that outside voice to step in and say "Hey, let's try it this way" or "This could sound better if you tried this". He's doing the lion's share of the arrangements, instruments, production, etc. and it shows.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 2:51 pm

I've heard samples, and it sounds awful! Worst production I've heard in a while...
Not to mention his lackluster vocal performance.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 12:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
But for a guy like me that lost track with Danzig some time ago, I wanted this to be a great comeback album that rekindled my interest for the man and his band. And that's where it failed. If this is indicative of what he's up to these days, I'll pass.

I don't know exactly when you lost track with Danzig, so maybe you have heard this album or not, but he made that comeback album with 2010's Deth Red Sabaoth, in my opinion. So if you haven't, I'd at least give that a shot. Unfortunately, it seems that comeback was short lived.

As far as I'm concerned, Danzig's discography beyond Misfits/Samhain, may as well look like this:
-Danzig
-Danzig II
-Danzig III
-Deth Red Sabaoth
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Don't forget 777: I Luciferi...that one is KILLER
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 7:40 pm

The first 3 Danzig albums are excellent! After that lineup broke up, I lost interest...

John Christ and Chuck Biscuits were essential to the classic Danzig sound.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Troublezone wrote:
The first 3 Danzig albums are excellent! After that lineup broke up, I lost interest...

John Christ and Chuck Biscuits were essential to the classic Danzig sound.

The fourth one wasn't too bad either, but after that one, with the start of Blackaciddevil, the combination of losing the original band members and experimenting with a more industrial sound was more than I was willing to listen to.

I had heard that he got over his NIN-phase and was back to guitar/bass/drums on the last few albums, but by then I had moved on. It's unlikely I'll be tracking down anymore Danzig albums. Plenty of other stuff I'd rather listen to nowadays. I was really hoping that this new covers album would re-spark an interest, but it fell way below expectations.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 7:51 am

I'm a Danzig fanboy, so it's no surprise that I like this. It sounds like the production on the first Samhain album. I'd rather this low budget sound than some slick Andy Sneap sounding recording. I didn't really care for the Sabbath cover. It sounded out of place & was probably put there to appease the metalheads (although Sabbath was no doubt an influence on him).

Standout tracks for me were Devil's Angels, Let Yourself Go, Girl Like You, & Find Somebody.

metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 3:55 pm

mc666 wrote:
I'm a Danzig fanboy, so it's no surprise that I like this. It sounds like the production on the first Samhain album. I'd rather this low budget sound than some slick Andy Sneap sounding recording. I didn't really care for the Sabbath cover. It sounded out of place & was probably put there to appease the metalheads (although Sabbath was no doubt an influence on him).

Standout tracks for me were Devil's Angels, Let Yourself Go, Girl Like You, & Find Somebody.

Oh my God, you're back. Yes, we've been placing bets on whether you would ever return. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 7:47 pm

How you doing mc? We haven't heard from you in a long ass time!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Troublemagnet tried to have me killed. I had been hiding out in witness protection until his capture. They last had me in disguise as a black man working at Amazon. Some guy called me a racist name & I blew my cover by being overly sensitive. Everyone knows MC is a delicate flower.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 10:43 pm

mc666 wrote:
Troublemagnet tried to have me killed. I had been hiding out in witness protection until his capture. They last had me in disguise as a black man working at Amazon. Some guy called me a racist name & I blew my cover by being overly sensitive. Everyone knows MC is a delicate flower.

lol!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 am

mc666 wrote:

mc666 the King of satire! As much as I missed your thoughts on musical topics, this is where mc666 shines. lol!
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 9:01 am

I've been revisiting Skeletons the past few days and I am really digging it a lot more than when it was released last year.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I've been revisiting Skeletons the past few days and I am really digging it a lot more than when it was released last year.

I re-visited it fairly recently and while I still stand by my initial criticism, I didn't hate it as much as I did when I first got it. I've warmed-up to it. A little bit.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 12:27 pm

New album coming mid-May. Black Laden Crown.

Danzig - Page 2 Danzigblackladencrowncd

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 12:59 pm

Saw that yesterday. Hope he can make this one as good as the last one. Deth red sabaoth was a great album IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Shouldn't she be wearing a black crown? Or presenting one? Or a crown somewhere on the cover? Judging from the artwork, the album should be called Ouch! My Hands Are on Fire!!. Or Get this Bat Off My Tits!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

All grown up since the last time we saw her...

Danzig - Page 2 Chucky10
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 9:50 am

Always stoked for more Danzig. I can't find much info on it but I'm curious to see the lineup.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

All grown up since the last time we saw her...

Danzig - Page 2 Chucky10

Laughing very hard That's awesome!!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 7:46 am

New song...

Wow. Glenn sounds like he's losing his voice. Like he just got over a cold or something. The music's cool, but those vocals?

Master Sailboat
mc666

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 10:28 am

I don't think the vocals sound bad, but they definitely need a better mix. The song sounds good though. Reminds me of something from Danzig III

Sponsored content

Danzig - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig   Danzig - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Danzig
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next