Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best and Worst of Joe Satriani

Go down 
+23
slipkid
mikeinfla
shamgar75
Louder
snooloui
akeldama
journeyman
Infinite
bassman
exact33
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
stepcousin
Ben Grimm
adrian
chewie
MetalGuy71
jstate
thejokeriv
manny
EmoElmo
ultmetal
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:48 am

[quote="MetalGuy71"]
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I kinda lost respect for him after he ripped off Coldplay. Wink

What do you mean by ripping off Coldplay?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:50 am

It's actually the other way around. Joe sued Coldplay (and won) for ripping off his song. It was kinda big news for about a week. Coldplay were riding high when Joe said "Hold on, that's my song".

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 pm

I like the Bald Satch era the best but from his S/T to Super Colossal are the best albums IMO. Strange Beautiful Music is my fave and even Engines Of Creation is good but I had to get past the electronic stuff to really appreciate the guitar work on the album but the live version of 'Devil's Slide' from Live In SF is superior, Live In SF had a great live version of 'Rubina'.

Time Machine is his worst.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:21 am

I like him and own a few of his albums. I even saw him live a couple of years ago and he put on a pretty good show.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:51 am

snooloui wrote:
I like him and own a few of his albums. I even saw him live a couple of years ago and he put on a pretty good show.

I've seen him twice on those G3 tours and he was very entertaining live. Much better than I expected. I have no musical skills whatsoever, so I was hesitant to go see a show filled with instrumental wankery, but they (Satch, Vai, Eric Johnson, John Pettrucci, Paul Gilbert, etc) we all good. I wasn't bored at all.

Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Favorite: Dreaming #11
Least Favorite: The Extremist
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:58 pm

007 wrote:
I don't have much by him but I like everything I've heard by the man. I only own Not Of This Earth, Surfing With The Alien, and Dreaming #11. I used to have Flying In A Blue Dream but a crappy boom box I had ruined it and I never replaced it. Gotta add I never had a problem with his singing. Like someone said, Big Bad Moon is an awesome tune.

that is a great tune. Satriani is great music for driving!

shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:30 pm

He sounds great live - listen to Time Machine Disc 2
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 9:28 am

My favorite is Flying In A Blue Dream, especially the "vocal" songs. I love "Ride" and "The Phone Call" and "Cant Slow Down"
Back to top Go down
slipkid
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm a big Satch fan, have every album.

Discovered him back when his first record came out, thanks to an article in Guitar Player magazine (I think that is where I first heard of him).

Despite the excellent playing his first couple albums are hard for me to listen to now, they are kind of - what is the word? Dissonant? Not much straightforward accessible melody for my ears in old age, although some songs still work for me, I hardly ever listen to the early albums anymore.

My fave Satch record is Strange Beautiful Music (from 2002). That album has some very melodic & memorable songs on it (Starry Night, Chords of Life, The Traveller, Mountain Song to name just a few).

Satch seemed to change his songwriting style starting with The Extremist IMO, stressing more melody in the songs than the shredding guitar histrionics of earlier days. So I dig his stuff Extremist on more than prior to that album.

That being said I think that to someone not really into his newer style will find most of the post-Extremist records to all have a boring sameness in song style to them, with the exception of Engines of Creation, which is my least favorite Satch album. It has some good tunes on it that are ruined by the electronica production.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Listening to Surfing Alien today - snowing outside - Patriots play Chiefs tonight at 6 pm.
I was put off by the CD upon my first listen, years ago.
Buried it under many CDs. Saw it today.
Absolutely perfect - a gem !
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Not a huge fan but I love his 1st 3 releases and then completely lost interest.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Man was I the biggest Sach head growing up. Major influence in my own playing for sure. His cassettes dominated my Walkman. But after Crystal Planet everything started sounding the same, and I began to notice how limited he was compared to other rising guitarists. I view his style as more a watershed product of its time. But I still jam Extremist or Not of this Earth for some daily motivation.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2022 7:28 am

Just to chime in. Listened to Blue Dream in my car. Yes, it made it to my car.
Fantastic listen. Didn’t blast it. During this heatwave. Side roads. Highway.
Two tunes sound like ZZ Top. Another has a EVH sound. Really interesting.
It’s funny how everyone has different favorite releases by him.
Prolific. 25 CDs ?
Not a big fan but will definitely buy more from him. I’m at that age, I guess. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2022 1:04 pm

His early albums were cool and fun. It’s probably just a coincidence… but after he cut his hair off and went with the bald look, his music changed for the worse and he’s become too ordinary. He hasn’t done anything wild like Satch Boogie, Big Bad Moon or Motorcycle Driver since then.

I still like him and regard him as a master guitar player. There’s a reason he was a respected teacher back in the day. Who else has so many successful former students? A few of his students were: Kirk Hammett, Alex Skolnick and of coarse Steve Vai.

My favorite albums are: Surfing with the Alien, Flying in a Blue Dream and The Extremist. His first album “Not of This Earth” has some good moments, but overall it’s a bit too weird and quirky. It has that Primus and Zappa vibe. I like it… but it’s not the album I listen to when I want to hear Satriani.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2022 1:39 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Joe Satriani   Best and Worst of Joe Satriani - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best and Worst of Joe Satriani
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2