Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite covers album?

Go down 
+29
brokentulsa
jettafiend
jstate
MEGATRON
Grimmo
nevermore
chewie
GrandNational
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
martinsane
exact33
Infinite
ultmetal
Psychotron
DallasBlack
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
EmoElmo
mc666
adrian
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Cognitive Dissonance
James B.
Dark Horseman
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:55 am

thejokeriv wrote:

So it sounds like Kory's vocal stylings with Trouble?

It's definitely a pre-cursor to his stint with Trouble, yeah.

...oh, and it's got this godawful "industrial remix" of "Rock Rock Til You Drop" with Kevin DuBrow on vocals, which could serve as a device to torture prisoners at Guantanamo Bay....

...geez, surprised remind me why I'm keeping this CD again?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

So it sounds like Kory's vocal stylings with Trouble?

It's definitely a pre-cursor to his stint with Trouble, yeah.

...oh, and it's got this godawful "industrial remix" of "Rock Rock Til You Drop" with Kevin DuBrow on vocals, which could serve as a device to torture prisoners at Guantanamo Bay....

...geez, surprised remind me why I'm keeping this CD again?

because you like killen!!

Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am

I thought Humanary Stew was one of the better Deadline tributes. There were some good performances on that one. Dickinson does a cool version of The Black Widow, and I thought Phil Lewis kicked ass on Billion Dollar Babies.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 am

Infinite wrote:
I thought Humanary Stew was one of the better Deadline tributes. There were some good performances on that one. Dickinson does a cool version of The Black Widow, and I thought Phil Lewis kicked ass on Billion Dollar Babies.

I forgot about that one too. It was full of good performances.

Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 am

You know, that Aerosmith one is pretty cool too. Dio and Yngwie rip it up on Dream On!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:13 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Here's all the tribute albums I own, all with various artists...

Thunderbolt: Tribute To AC/DC
Not The Same Old Song & Dance: Tribute To Aerosmith
Pickin' On Aerosmith: A Bluegrass Tribute
Right In The Nuts: Tribute To Aerosmith
Nativity In Black: Tribute To Black Sabbath
Humanary Stew: Tribute To Alice Cooper
Leppardmania: A Tribute To Def Leppard
Stoned Immaculate: The Music of the Doors
Return Of The Comet: Tribute To Ace Frehley
Space Walk: Tribute to Ace Frehley
A Tribute to Journey
A Tribute To Judas Priest: Legends Of Metal
A Tribute To Judas Priest: Legends Of Metal: Vol. II
A Tribute To The Priest
We're A Happy Family: Tribute To The Ramones
Working Man: Tribute To Rush
A Metal Crusade: Tribute To Saxon
Forever Mod: Tribute To Rod Stewart
Twisted Forever: Tribute To Twisted Sister
Crossfire: A Salute To Stevie Ray

Since they're all still part of my collection, they must have some redeeming qualities. Your mileage may vary.

I dont have nearly as many as you but here is what I got:

Holy Dio: A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio 2 CD
Humanary Stew: A Tribute to Alice Cooper
I Predict a Clone -- Tribute to Steve Taylor
Iron Maiden Tribute: A Tribute to the Beast
Iron Maiden Tribute: A Tribute to the Beast 2
Keepers of Jericho: A Tribute to Helloween
A Tribute to Living Sacrifice
Never Say Dinosaur -- Tribute to Petra
One Way -- The Songs of Larry Norman
Reunation: A Tribute to Running Wild
Treasure Seeker: Tribute to the Past
Iced Earth Tribute to the Gods
Ultimatum - Lex MEtalis

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Favorite covers album? - Page 3 61rx-iQsfoL._SL500_AA280_

The Magna Carta put out a few decent ones.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 12:30 pm

chewie wrote:
Favorite covers album? - Page 3 61rx-iQsfoL._SL500_AA280_

The Magna Carta put out a few decent ones.

I think they put out the Rush one I have too, which is very good.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Magna Carta had much better musicians to choose from for their tribute releases.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Holy Dio: A Tribute To Ronnie James Dio
A Call To Irons: A Tribute To Iron Maiden
Ultimatum - Lex Metalis
Powergod - Bleed For The Gods That's Metal - Lesson 1
Powergod - Long Live The Loud That's Metal Lesson 2
Nativity In Black: A Tribute To Black Sabbath
Emerald: A Tribute To The Wild One
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 am

Some covers albums I own and enjoy:

Leaders Not Followers EP (Napalm Death)
Leaders Not Followers Part 2 (Napalm Death)
Coverkill (Overkill)
Undisputed Attitude (Slayer)

I have others, but they don't get played as often as the small list here.

headbanger

One I enjoy the least is Modification (Mortification covers by various)
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 2:45 am

Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Scaled.php?server=836&filename=51c4s5ktxl
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 5:49 am

Die-hard OVERKILL fan here but I just couldn't fathom why they're even on most people's list, from a fan-boy's perspective yes they can be a decent cover band but..come on...ya'll know they aren't that great singin' other artists tunes right?

Their 'COVERKILL' album sounded inconsistently atrocious production-wise
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:47 am

EmoElmo wrote:
Die-hard OVERKILL fan here but I just couldn't fathom why they're even on most people's list, from a fan-boy's perspective yes they can be a decent cover band but..come on...ya'll know they aren't that great singin' other artists tunes right?

Their 'COVERKILL' album sounded inconsistently atrocious production-wise

For me, bad production doesn't stop my enjoyment of an album. W.F.O. has bad production but is one of my top Overkill albums. Maleovelent Creation-Stillborn is often berrated because of the bad production, but it's one of my favorite death metal albums.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:08 am

I love W.F.O. and never got the production complaints. But I'll admit I love bass so that might have something to do with it. I have the Japanese import and much to my delight the bass sounds even louder in the mix on there.

I really love both of Joe Lynn Turner's Under Cover albums. Liked the songs he picked and the way he did them.

Two of my all time favorite cover albums aren't metal. Freedom Of Choice has a bunch of 90's alt-rock acts covering 80's new wave songs. Just a fun disc all the way through.

Another is I'm Your Fan : the songs of Leonard Cohen

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:39 am

I dig that Leonard Cohen covers album.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah, it's people doing his songs that helped me discover Cohen.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 3:19 pm

This may or may not have been mentioned but I really like Helloween's Metal Jukebox. That and Coverkill are the only 2 covers albums I have, I believe.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 am

I picked this one up recently...

Favorite covers album? - Page 3 615doW%2BK2lL._SL500_AA300_

Buncha hard rock/metal dudes taking liberties with Beatles tunes. I like it. Billy Gibbons doing 'Revolution' is killer.

"Butchering The Beatles" track listing:

1. "Hey Bulldog" - Alice Cooper, vox; Steve Vai, guitars; Duff McKagen (Velvet Revolver / Guns N Roses), bass; Mikkey Dee (Motorhead), drums

2. "Back In The USSR" - Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead), vox/bass; John5 (Marilyn Manson / Rob Zombie), guitars; Eric Singer (Kiss / Alice Cooper), drums

3. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" - Geoff Tate (Queensryche), vox; Michael Wilton (Queensryche), guitar; Craig Goldy (Dio), guitar; Rudy Sarzo (Dio), bass; Simon Wright (Dio), drums; Scott Warren (Dio), keys

4. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - Billy Idol, vox; Steve Stevens (Billy Idol), guitars; Blasko (Ozzy Osbourne), bass; Brian Tichy (Billy Idol), drums

5. "Magical Mystery Tour" - Jeff Scott Soto (Yngwie Malmsteen / Soul Sirkus), vox; Yngwie Malmsteen (Rising Force / Alcatrazz), incredible lead guitar; Bob Kulick, (Meat Loaf / Paul Stanley Band), rhythm guitar; Jeff Pilson (Dokken / Foreigner), bass; Frankie Banali (Wasp / Quiet Riot), drums

6. "Revolution" - Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), vox / guitar; Vivian Campbell (Def Leppard), guitar; Mike Porcaro (Toto), bass; Gregg Bisonnette (David Lee Roth / Ringo Starr Band), drums; Joseph Fazzio (Superjoint Ritual), drums

7. "Day Tripper" - Jack Blades (Night Ranger / Damn Yankees), vox; Tommy Shaw (Styx / Damn Yankees), vox; Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake / Dio), guitars; Marco Mendoza (Whitesnake / Thin Lizzy), bass; Virgil Donati (Steve Vai / Soul Sirkus / Planet X), drums

8. "I Feel Fine" - John Bush (Anthrax), vox; Stephen Carpenter (Deftones), guitar; Mike Inez (Ozzy Osbourne / Alice In Chains), bass; John Tempesta (The Cult / Testament), drums

9. "Taxman" - Doug Pinnick (Kings X), vox; Steve Lukather (Toto), guitar; Tony Levin (John Lennon / Peter Gabriel), bass; Steve Ferrone (Eric Clapton / Tom Petty), drums

10. "I Saw Her Standing There" - John Corabi (Motley Crue), vox; Phil Campbell (Motorhead), guitar; C.C. Deville (Poison), guitar; Chris Chaney (Jane's Addiction), bass; Kenny Aronoff (Smashing Pumpkins / Jon Bon Jovi), drums

11. "Hey Jude" - Tim "Ripper" Owens (Judas Priest / Iced Earth), vox; George Lynch (Dokken / Lynch Mob), guitar; Bob Kulick (Meat Loaf / Paul Stanley Band), rhythm guitar; Tim Bogert (Vanilla Fudge / Beck / Bogert & Appice), bass; Chris Slade (AC/DC), drums

12. "Drive My Car" - Kip Winger (Winger), vox; Bruce Kulick (Kiss / Grand Funk), guitar; Tony Franklin (The Firm / Whitesnake), bass; Aynsley Dunbar (Whitesnake / Journey), drums

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am

Could be interesting. How does Ripper sound on this?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Could be interesting. How does Ripper sound on this?

Pretty decent. He keeps it more low-key. No Halford-esque screams.

I'm partial to Cooper's 'Hey Bulldog', Lemmy's 'Back in the USSR' and John Bush singing 'I Saw Her Standing There'. The rest are decent enough too. I don't need to hit the skip button on any of them. No "techno-remixes" or anything like that. The guitar wankery might get a little too over-the-top for some folks though. Steve Vai has never been known for his subtlety.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 pm

There's no way the version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" on there could beat Trouble's cover on Plastic Green Head.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
There's no way the version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" on there could beat Trouble's cover on Plastic Green Head.

Probably not, but it's still pretty good. The jam in the middle is excellent.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Great White - Recovery
Great White - Great Zeppelin
Axxis - RE:Discovered
Puddle OF Mudd - RE:(Disc)overed
Dee Snider - Dee Does Broadway
Stryper - The Covering
Ultimatum - Lex Metalis
Hammerfall - Masterpieces
Status Quo - Riffs
Status Quo - Famous in the Last Century

On the PoM cover album, it is great listen of some redone classic tracks. Now if only the rest of their catalog sounded like this.

The Axxis album is ALL pop songs redone with an edge. I like it quite a bit. Their version of Message in a Bottle destroys the cover of the same song that Machine Head recorded.

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 pm

I have all these and really dig them...
Hammerfall....Masterpieces
Iced Earth...Tribute To The Gods
Stryper....The Covering
Tribute To Steel..A tribute to Warlock and Doro
Tribute To Judas Priest Vol. 1 and 2
Tribute to Saxon
Covered like a hurricane...Scorpions Tribute
Too Fast For Love: A tribute to Motley Crue
Jorn...Dio
Randy Rhoads Tribute

The Randy Rhoads tribute is awesome...It has Wolf Hoffman, Jake E Lee, Dimebag Darrel, George Lynch, Chris Impellitteri, Joe Lynn Turner and Rob Rock to name a few. Just Awesome!

The warlock tribute has some really cool bands from all over the world on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite covers album?   Favorite covers album? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite covers album?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next