Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UFO - Any fans

Go down 
+16
AndiP
criss3o
James B.
jstate
BearOnUnicycle
arachnoplasma
thejokeriv
Wargod
MetalGuy71
manny
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Witchfinder
brokentulsa
chewie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 am

manny wrote:
James B. wrote:
manny wrote:
The Atomtic Tommy M period of UFO sole album had some great songs on it, but more AOR then the traditional metal they were known for, did Tommy M ever tell you why Phil Mogg just disbanded that line up?

Unless I misunderstood your post, Tommy played on two studio lps, Making Contact and Misdemeanor. There is a VHS/DVD of Misdemeanor Tour Live too.

As far as why that line-up went. Tommy flew to England for rehearsals. The bass player and drummer had issues and Phil said "F it"

I don't own 'Making Contact' but I am pretty sure Atomic Tommy M is not on that disc, but he is on an EP they released called 'Aint Misbehavin' and I have that UFO concert on VHS, a girl that worked at video store stole it for me, and added I was the only fool that ever rented that video, ever!

I made a misatke from a bad memory. Tommy plays on Misdemeanor and Ain't Misbehavin, which is longer than some lp.s by the way. Kewl chick by the way.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:09 am

Very important band.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:20 am

A lot of hard core UFO fans hated the short lived Atomic Tommy M era but personally I thought it was great, and showed great songwriting chops from Mogg and the lads. As I say this I am glad the band went back to Schenker for a few albums.

The one era of UFO I am not familiar with his the Lawerence Archer era, if it was not for youtube this era would remain completely unknown to me.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 4:01 pm

manny wrote:
A lot of hard core UFO fans hated the short lived Atomic Tommy M era but personally I thought it was great, and showed great songwriting chops from Mogg and the lads. As I say this I am glad the band went back to Schenker for a few albums.

The one era of UFO I am not familiar with his the Lawerence Archer era, if it was not for youtube this era would remain completely unknown to me.

IMHO Tommy had Schenker down better than Paul Chapman. Tommy wasn't as good as a riff writer as Paul though. I have High Stakes & Dangerous Men but havn't listened to it in a long long time. The Lights In Tokyo 92 is pretty good and I've heard there is also a DVD of that release ?

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm finally getting around to replacing my long gone vinyl and the remastered Force It seems that the solo's are way up front and at a higher volume than the rest of the song(s). I don't remember it being this way on the orginal release. Not a show stopper, but a bit distracting.

still in the mail....
Obsession
No Heavy Petting
Lights Out

I had no idea they had so many releases. I'm on a UFO kick right now.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:46 pm

wmcollis wrote:
I'm finally getting around to replacing my long gone vinyl and the remastered Force It seems that the solo's are way up front and at a higher volume than the rest of the song(s). I don't remember it being this way on the orginal release. Not a show stopper, but a bit distracting.

still in the mail....
Obsession
No Heavy Petting
Lights Out

I had no idea they had so many releases. I'm on a UFO kick right now.

Yes their cataloge is huge as I have them all except for seven deadly but that should be any day now!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 am

I like them. "Only you can Rock me" used to be played a lot on the radio when it was released. I forgot about them until someone in the USA mailed me a taped copy from vinyl of the double - live "Strangers in The Night".

In an interview from the late 1980s, maybe in Metal Forces, it said Paul Baloff was singing UFO at a party and that's how EXODUS met and formed.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm really liking Seven Deadly. Have the feeling over time I'll grow to like it even more. It didn't blow me away quite like The Visitor did first listen but it's a real good album.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 2:29 pm

jstate wrote:
I'm really liking Seven Deadly. Have the feeling over time I'll grow to like it even more. It didn't blow me away quite like The Visitor did first listen but it's a real good album.

I really liked "You Are Here". If it's on the same level I'll probably dig "Seven Deadly" as well.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Just arrived this week "Seven Deadly" on vinyl!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 1:10 pm

I LOVE this band, easily one of my favorite acts of the '70s!!! I was actually just listening to them when I saw this thread, in fact. The Michael Schenker years were obviously their golden era, but some of the Paul Chapman-era stuff is cool, too. "No Place to Run" is an amazing song!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:23 pm

I am of the opinion that it is time to get Schenker back for an lp or two. The new one is good but me thinks things are on auto-pilot.

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 11:14 pm

Just placed an order for 10 UFO releases. Rounding out my collection of the Schenker ones, with the rest being split between the 80's and Moore. Listening to Walk On Water now and I gotta say it kicks butt. I'm impressed that after all these years UFO still rocks.

I didn't really pick up on this band until recently, but I've pretty much been listening to them non-stop for the last couple of weeks. Hope the non-Schenker one's are as good. Most of UFO's catalog has been remastered and expanded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UFO - Any fans
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2