Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Kid On The Block

Go down 
+37
akeldama
Boris2008
Lari
metalinmyveins
Stender
DeathCult
bassman
mc666
stormspell
Wurthless
ShadowAngel
nevermore
Troublezone
Lurideath
MoonChild
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
thrashindeed
ultmetal
7thSaviour
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
BearOnUnicycle
manny
thejokeriv
TheseGoTo11
mlotek
metalken
adrian
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
chewie
exact33
Infinite
Witchfinder
James B.
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

who is your favorite "new" early 80's giutarist ?
Carlos Cavaso-Quiet Riot
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Warren Demartini-Ratt
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Jake E Lee-Ozzy
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 29% [ 17 ]
George Lynch-Dokken
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap22%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 13 ]
Yngwie J Malmsteen-Steler/Rising Force
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap17%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 10 ]
Brad Gillis-Ozzy/Night Ranger
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Vivian Cambell-Dio
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Diamond Darrell-Pantera
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Mick Mars-Motley Crue
 2% [ 1 ]
Mark Kendall-Great White
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
OTHER
New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_lcap16%New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 58

AuthorMessage
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Went with Demartini.........but it was a tough poll, lots of legit choices there.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:53 pm

From that list Lee. But, I'll got with Vinnie Vincent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 12:43 am

Criss also, but from your list I would say Lynch.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Since we're talking 80's guitarists, I'm going to try and think only 80's albums.

George Lynch > Jake E. Lee > Vivian Campbell > Criss Oliva > Warren DeMartini > Brad Gillis  > Yngwie Malmsteen > Mark Kendall > Mick Mars > Carlos Cavazo

: I love the first four Dokken records, so George Lynch gets the nod.

: Jake E. Lee is just a smidgen behind George, but I was never as enamored with "Bark at the Moon", like I was with "The Ultimate Sin" and both Badlands records.

: The first three musicians are really close for me, as I love all three DIO records that Vivian played on. Yes, even "Sacred Heart". I also really liked Vivian with Sweet Savage. The four track BBC session is a monster (Eye of the Storm, Into the Night, Queens Vengeance, Killing Time)

: In all fairness to Criss Oliva, I didn't really get into Savatage until a few years ago. I always knew about them, but I never pulled the trigger as it pertained to buying their catalog. His playing was amazing, but I listened to all these others in their infancy, save for Diamond Darrell, who I wasn't familiar with until the Phil Anselmo years.

: I love the E.P and "Out of the Cellar" so much, so Warren gets the nod over Brad, due to Night Ranger kind of sucking on their last couple records of the 80's. I like "Invasion of Your Privacy" and "Dancing Undercover", but loathe "Reach For the Sky".

: I thought Brad Gillis did an admirable job on filling in for Randy Rhoads, as that had to be one of the top 5 hardest musician slots to fill. He was in a lose-lose situation. I know some people are critical of his playing on "Speak of the Devil", but here again, I thought he did a pretty good job playing Sabbath tunes, which were totally different from what he would be accustomed to playing when in Night Ranger. Regarding Brad in Night Ranger, I loved those first two records "Dawn Patrol" and "Midnight Madness" were tremendous Hard Rock/AOR records. "Seven Wishes" was okay, but then the fall off the cliff took place with "Big Life" & "Man In Motion". With that being said, Night Ranger only rivaled Journey for me when it came to that familiar sound, along with Survivor. Many memories involving those three bands.

: Yngwie should be higher on my list, as I played his albums just as much, if not more than the others. As much as I love those first three Yngwie albums, along with the Steeler album, I can't get out of my head the "super ego" that is Yngwie. I've hated the revolving door of musicians within his camp over the decades. His band makes a band like Megadeth seem stable.

: Mark Kendall like that of Criss Oliva was a guitarist I wasn't as familiar with back in the day. I was well versed when it came to "Once Bitten", but that was it. When "Once Bitten...Twice Shy" came out, I was in thrash mode, and I didn't think much of the title track (I couldn't stand it). It wasn't until a few years ago, that I discovered their "Out of the Night" E.P, s/t, and "Shot in the Dark", which are all really good, especially their s/t.

: Mick Mars playing is average in my mind. I suppose I would give him more credit, if he had more writing credits to his name, though one one of my favorite songs that he penned is the vastly under appreciated "Danger". The fact that I don't think much of the Crue after "Shout", is the reason he almost brings up the rear.

: I've never been much of a Quiet Riot fan, though I love songs like "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)", "Love's A Bitch", "Danger Zone", and "The Wild & the Young". Sorry Carlos, you're definitely pulling up the rear by a wide margin.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 3:03 pm

Out of the ones listed, Lynch.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 5:59 pm

I've always liked Jake E Lee, the others on the list never did much for me cept maybe Vivian Campbell and listening now I think his early Dio stuff was a bit too 'look at me! look at meee!!'

My favorite guitarist from that era tried to record an album in '83. But James and Lars had other ideas  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Jake E. Lee hands down.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:14 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I've always liked Jake E Lee, the others on the list never did much  for me cept maybe Vivian Campbell and listening now I think his early Dio stuff was a bit too 'look at me! look at meee!!'

My favorite guitarist from that era tried to record an album in '83. But James and Lars had other ideas  Laughing very hard 

If you are referring to Dave Mustaine I concur...
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Went w/Viv, but could've easily went w/Jake or Yngwie, I just love those early Dio lp's, and Viv is largely responsible for their success.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 pm

akeldama wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
I've always liked Jake E Lee, the others on the list never did much  for me cept maybe Vivian Campbell and listening now I think his early Dio stuff was a bit too 'look at me! look at meee!!'

It ain't Lloyd Grant  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 8:45 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
akeldama wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

It ain't Lloyd Grant  Laughing very hard 

I wasn't sure so that's why I said what I said, I wasn't sure if it was Mustaine or Grant he was referring to... lol! just kidding 
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Mötley Crüe's debut, Too Fast for Love, was actually released in December 1981.

Anyways, my vote goes to Dimebag Darrell of the guitar players listed. However, Holy Diver is the best album on the list, and I prefer it to any Pantera album. That, and I actually don't even like that Pantera debut, Metal Magic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:09 pm

I chose Jake E Lee but I was/am a huge fan of Adrian Vandenburg...The first Vandenburg album was a really great album for guitar players...of recent I have started to really like the old Mick Mars playing also...
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 7:18 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I picked George Lynch but was torn between him and Jake E Lee.  Both are phenomenal.  

This. Could say it was tie also.

Adrian Vandenburg turned out a great performance. I'm only judging by the first couple of releases and not the whole of their career.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Of the guitarists listed in the poll I still own a few albums with Jake E. Lee and I own the first 2 Dio solo albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Kid On The Block
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3