Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Kid On The Block

Go down 
+37
akeldama
Boris2008
Lari
metalinmyveins
Stender
DeathCult
bassman
mc666
stormspell
Wurthless
ShadowAngel
nevermore
Troublezone
Lurideath
MoonChild
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
thrashindeed
ultmetal
7thSaviour
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
BearOnUnicycle
manny
thejokeriv
TheseGoTo11
mlotek
metalken
adrian
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
chewie
exact33
Infinite
Witchfinder
James B.
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

who is your favorite "new" early 80's giutarist ?
Carlos Cavaso-Quiet Riot
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Warren Demartini-Ratt
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Jake E Lee-Ozzy
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 29% [ 17 ]
George Lynch-Dokken
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 13 ]
Yngwie J Malmsteen-Steler/Rising Force
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 10 ]
Brad Gillis-Ozzy/Night Ranger
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Vivian Cambell-Dio
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Diamond Darrell-Pantera
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Mick Mars-Motley Crue
 2% [ 1 ]
Mark Kendall-Great White
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
OTHER
New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 58

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 am

Yngwie. When I first heard Steeler and Alcatrazz back in the early 80's, I was obsessed with Malmsteen. Then I saw him on his first U.S. tour with Rising Force at some small club outside of Philly and was completely blown away.

Metal novice
Metal novice
thrashindeed

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:38 am

Criss Oliva for sure, I have been on a Savatage binge lately. jake e lee would be my second choice for sure.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:41 am

Lynch

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:19 am

On the list, Jake but it i'd remembered Criss it would've been him.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Jake E Lee from the list headbanger
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Jake E. Lee!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:07 pm

I voted for Jake. But I could've just as easily went with either Lynch or Campbell as well... I also like Warren DeMartini too. I didn't even know about "Diamond" Darrell until CFH came out.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:40 pm

I went with Jake. He's always been a phenomenal guitar player.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm

thrashindeed wrote:
Criss Oliva for sure, I have been on a Savatage binge lately. jake e lee would be my second choice for sure.

Criss Oliva is so underrated. Awesome guitarrist, really awesome. Gone way too soon. I just had to start Temptation Revelation now headbanger
On second place Vivian Campbell for Holy Diver and Last in Line followed by Jake E. Lee.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Criss Oliva was a great player, I'm so glad I got a chance to meet and hang out with him after one of the gigs on the Gutter Ballet tour. Criss was totally down to earth and humble.

Last edited by S.D. on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 pm

I also agree that Criss Oliva was great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 pm

...and by some odd coincidence I also met Jake E. Lee and Ray Gillen at the same venue where I met Criss. Jake even passed a joint around which made it all the more memorable.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Criss was the perfect mix of EVH and Randy Rhoads. He was very underrated.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 pm

I dropped the ball excluding Criss Oliva

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
Criss Oliva was a great player, I'm so glad I got a chance to meet and hang out with him after one of the gigs on the Gutter Ballet tour. Criss was totally down to earth and humble.

Damn, i guess a lot of people are jealous now, me included. Criss was such a bit talent, i always wanted to meet him
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:37 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Damn, i guess a lot of people are jealous now, me included. Criss was such a bit talent, i always wanted to meet him

Me too. Sadly, he died just months after I became a Savatage fan.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 4:47 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I went with other, i.e. my favorite guitarist of all time:

New Kid On The Block - Page 2 OLIVA
CRISS OLIVA (Savatage-Sirens 1983)

I'd have to choose Criss here as well. Jake E. Lee would be my second choice, with George Lynch in third.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 pm

From the given crop I had to go with Yngwie.

I never understood the Chriss Oliva's mania. He was a decent player and I enjoy early Savatage well enough, yet I cannot but wonder why no one though he was so great while he was still alive... He had to pass away to reach stardom, which is somehow overrated, just like Dimebag imo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 9:06 pm

stormspell wrote:
I never understood the Chriss Oliva's mania. He was a decent player and I enjoy early Savatage well enough, yet I cannot but wonder why no one though he was so great while he was still alive... He had to pass away to reach stardom, which is somehow overrated, just like Dimebag imo.

Because Savatage was unknown? They never had the backing of a good management or a label, they were kicked into oblivion after that "Fight for the Rock" failure the Record Label thought would be a hit. They were awesome before, they beccame even more awesome after that. Guter Ballet and Streets are Masterpieces. Yet they never were featured as big stars on MTV or anywhere else. Here in Europe they were completely unknown. It wasn't till the Internet came up when everybody went "oh...the same as Trans-Siberian Orchestra?" Because there's the Story taht in 1996 Savatage released a song that every radio station had no interest in, a year later it was re-released under the Trans-Siberian Orchestra label and it became a hit.
Savatage is completely underrated, they are on the same level as Uriah Heep (nobody ever mentions them when it comes to early Metal, it's always only Deep Purple, Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath) and lots of other bands.
Just this evening, because of this topic i presented a friend of mine this band (i was surprised that to his acocunt i never mentioned it before, even though he's a member of my forum and my website uses the Savatage font - i chose it as a tribute) and he was basically blown away and instantly ordered 3 albums Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 pm

i'm gonna pick another overrated dead guy. put me down for Chuck Schuldiner.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 pm

mc666 wrote:

Great guitarist however, not applicable. While he did start Death in 1983, he didn't release anything until '86.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Quote :
He had to pass away to reach stardom, which is somehow overrated, just like Dimebag imo.

The first part may be true about Criss, but Dimebag was already very popular when he was alive... And I disagree about either of them being overrated too. They both had a signature sound, and that's not easy to do.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:13 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
mc666 wrote:

not applicable.
piss off. first demo was only 84, but whatever.

Hank Shermann or Michael Denner then.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 am

mc666 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
mc666 wrote:

not applicable.
piss off.

Maybe later, I just went a few minutes ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Lynch, but all those fellas are pretty cool cats. Good time for sure. All of these releases on top of each other really got things going. Each of the guitarists on the list certainly broke out and caught the ear of a lot of fans. Cambell, Lee, DeMartini & Malmsteen blew me away in 82-3. My vote goes to Lynch because he seemed to be the one that kept the fire burning, but it is a close one.

If you are keeping to only what they did in that 24 month period than it would be Yngwie. Steeler blew my mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Kid On The Block   New Kid On The Block - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Kid On The Block
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next