Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2 questions?

Go down 
+20
Andy
HeavyMetal
The_Jayroh
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
A Handful of Wayne
Shawn Of Fire
Lari
snooloui
Alex Dee Rokket
Gryphon-kl
Mglaffas81
arachnoplasma
adrian
mc666
James B.
metalken
chewie
speed101
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:42 pm

Do u all read all lyrics on cds?Especially if u own say thousands of cds?Also how often do u not find favorite songs on cds since so many metal cds,the songs sound all the same?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:48 pm

Wait, that's three questions............
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 pm

I agree, not two questions.
But number 1, yes I read the lyrics.
2)Yes, even though i own, say a thousand cds.
And 3, 'favorite' songs change daily for me so even though song #4 may be todays hit, tomorrow my be song #5.
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Its 2 questions.I was asking about the lyrics and then about the songs sounding the same.I wasnt meaning the thousands of cds being a question.lol
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:03 am

I always have the singer turned down in the monitors onstage, so lyrics don't matter Laughing very hard

The bands I enjoy listening to DON'T all sound the same.....so what is your point

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:10 am

I usually don't pay attention to lyrics in rock or metal bands, but I will notice if the lyrics are laughably bad. If I'm listening to singer/songwriter, folk or blues I'll pay closer attention to the lyrics.

I also don't listen to bands who don't vary things up.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:38 am

i don't pay much attention to lyrics for the most part, but i do appreciate good ones when i hear them.

adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:56 am

I always like to look through the liner notes and usually that means reading the lyrics.

I don't exactly understand the second question
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 am

I like to flip through the booklet when I buy an album. If someone took the effort to write good lyrics, I try to make an effort to read them. Good or at least interesting lyrics are always a plus with me and I'll make a note of them, but I can overlook mediocre lyrics if the music is strong enough. If they fall within a certain degree of awfulness, they can sometimes make for good comedy at least.

I don't generally go for bands that don't offer any variety, so I don't think the other question applies to me.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 4:26 am

mc666 wrote:
i don't pay much attention to lyrics for the most part, but i do appreciate good ones when i hear them.

Well to be fair, a lot of the music you listen to features vocals that aren't exactly intelligible
Back to top Go down
Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 4:40 am

1. I tend to flip through the liner notes, but I usually only actually read lyrics in cases of "Did he really just sing that?" or "There's no way that was the actual lyric, what was it really?" (The latter sometimes resulting in, "Okay, so that really was the actual lyric.")

2. I don't have any bands or albums I can think of where most of the songs are that similar. Certainly, any I do have are ones that have fallen out of favor with me, probably because of the sameness of all the songs.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 5:56 am

1. Even though I buy a lot of cds monthly, I don't often flip through the booklets to read the lyrics. As a collector I prefer to not use the CD booklet more than once or twice to avoid unnecessary wear and tear. If I am really interested in reading the lyrics I always turn to darklyrics.com

2. I must be lost in translation but I am not exactly sure what you are asking there. Are you suggesting that too many current metal bands sound the same? That is there are not many distinguishing features / sounds between bands that it is hard to tell bands and songs apart?

If so, then I agree to some extent especially if you stick to a few subgenres eventually bands start sounding a bit samey or too similar to other perhaps better known bands within those subgenres. Certainly the main genres like thrash, death, black and power metal all have their pioneers followed by a seemingly countless stream of imitators and clone bands, some better than others but none of which help enrich their respective genres
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 6:00 am

I sometimes have a flip through the liner notes, but only once maybe twice. I never really read the lyrics or look them up on the internet. The only way I learn the lyrics is usually through obsessive listening of a track I really like lol!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 6:25 am

The topic is also a question. I'm Ron Burgundy?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 am

I used to memorize lyrics quite easily when I was younger. These days, I'll usually give the liner notes a cursory once-over when I first buy the CD then that's it. I rarely read through all the lyrics anymore unless something specific about them grabs me while listening.

As for having favorite songs when so many sound the same, I don't think I can answer that specific question. I can say that the vast majority of what I would consider my "favorite" songs are from back in the day. I chalk that up to circumstance and age. Nothing is going to hit me (us) like our first favorites did (IMO), and there's so much going on in life that I can't just sit and thoroughly absorb music like I used to.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 pm

I always look through the booklets but I rarely read the lyrics unless I really need to know what they are saying. I always find songs I end up not liking. Sometimes there's cds I end up not liking at all but that's just a gamble. Its like picking fruit you don't know til you try it. Usually though no matter how bad a cd is I can at least find 1 song I will like.

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Nothing is going to hit me (us) like our first favorites did (IMO)

I used to feel this way, but I've changed my mind over the past few years.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Quote :
I used to memorize lyrics quite easily when I was younger. These days, I'll usually give the liner notes a cursory once-over when I first buy the CD then that's it. I rarely read through all the lyrics anymore unless something specific about them grabs me while listening.

That aboout sums it up for me. I like to peruse the booklets when I get the cd, but I don't scan the thank you lists like I used to. "Hey cool. This band thanked Bang Tango. They must be pretty cool too! I should check them out!"

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Well to be fair, a lot of the music you listen to features vocals that aren't exactly intelligible
true a lot of it, but certainly not all. man cannot live on death alone. Wink

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm still something of a liner note geek. I may not memorize all the lyrics like I used to (let's face it, it's easier to do that when you only own 50 or 100 CDs, as opposed to 7 or 800...haha) but I always like to give'em a read through and see where it was recorded, who produced it, if any cool bands/people/etc. get mentioned in the thanks list, etc. I'm all trivia-nerd like that.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm still something of a liner note geek. I may not memorize all the lyrics like I used to (let's face it, it's easier to do that when you only own 50 or 100 CDs, as opposed to 7 or 800...haha) but I always like to give'em a read through and see where it was recorded, who produced it, if any cool bands/people/etc. get mentioned in the thanks list, etc. I'm all trivia-nerd like that.

I always read the album credits, I just skip the lyric sheets.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Nope, rarely read the lyrics sheet unless I am singing for a band where we are covering a song.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 3:47 pm

I usually look at the booklet when I first get a cd. After that I normally look up lyrics online, since I usually listen to music while on the comp.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Ok thanks for the responses.
Back to top Go down
HeavyMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetal

Number of posts : 33

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 am

If I can't understand the singer then I read lyrics, or if a phrase was slurred or spat out quickly that I couldn't catch it, but over 90% of the music I listen to has an intelligible and distinguishable lyrical delivery. Nothing against aggressive vocals, but they aren't for me personally, so reading the lyrics is really only a reference issue.

Sounding the same? Yeah, a lot of heavy metal songs do sound the same and when you're listening to hundreds of thousands of songs, it's hard to recall some of them, but I think that's the difference between good ones and bad ones. If I can recall the song 1 day, 10 days, 1 year later, after only a couple listens, then I know I enjoyed it enough to call it good.

If I can't remember it the moment the song ends, then I know, I either wasn't paying attention to it, or it just lacks completely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2 questions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 questions?   2 questions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 questions?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next