Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

questions about King's X

Go down 
+11
manny
the sentinel
Eyesore
stevegarveyfan
HamburgerBoy
nevermore
Metallic Blaze
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
Chairman_Smith
fingers
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

questions about King's X Empty
PostSubject: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:20 am

Did Kings X invent grunge according to Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam? If they did and were a grunge band I think ultmetal would hate them lol! Laughing very hard Prove me if I am wrong but I think either Green River or Malfunkshan invented grunge but I could wrong but the fiorst album OOTSP came out in 1988 but Soundgarden's first EP came out a year before. Also whats the best album in the post Dogman era? are they still around and whats the latest update from them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:33 am

- King's X invented Grunge the way Black Sabbath invented Doom...by not being it but doing something at the time that nobody else was doing and inspiring other bands causing it to come about llater when other bands took elements of their sound and expanded on them...

- Soundgarden is not Grunge

- Best post-Dogman would be Ogre Tones, IMO

- they are still around and working on a new album, Ty just released a new solo album in March
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:50 am

Yes, you should buy every King's X album. Wait, what was the question?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:47 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Yes, you should buy every King's X album.

And all the Pinnick/Tabor/Gaskill solo albums, and Poundhound, and Platypus, and Supershine, and RAZR13, and all Molken Music releases, and go to every show within 500 miles, and tell all your friends, and.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 2:51 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:
Yes, you should buy every King's X album.

And all the Pinnick/Tabor/Gaskill solo albums, and Poundhound, and Platypus, and Supershine, and RAZR13, and all Molken Music releases, and go to every show within 500 miles, and tell all your friends, and.....

I concur!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:05 pm

They seemed grungy to me. (I love grunge though.)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:19 pm

King's X are not grunge. Give me a break! They were doing something that no one else was doing with those layered Beatle-esque vocals, fat guitar tones, massive grooves, killer guitar solos, soulful lead vox, etc. King's X sound nothing like the hordes of grunge clones from the 1990's. Soundgarden's first album wasn't grunge either.

Best post-Dogman album? Hard to choose, I really love Ear Candy, but Ogre Tones or XV are awesome as well.

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Don't forget Jelly Jam.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:24 pm

When can we go off topic and bash Pearl Jam? questions about King's X Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:26 pm

I love King's X.

I'd say post-"Dogman", "Ogre Tones" is their best too.

Though my favorite King's X albums will always be those first two (Out of the Silent Planet and Gretchen Goes to Nebraska).

King's X is not even close to grunge. That's ridiculous. Whoever made that up isn't very smart.

And Soundgarden is grunge. But King's X aint.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Start whenever you're ready.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:52 pm

nevermore wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Start whenever you're ready.

Pearl Jam is actually one of the better grunge bands out there. Them and Nirvana deserved the recognition they both got.

On the other hand, I always hated Soundgarden. They were so overrated. Riding on the coattails of Pearl Jam and Nirvana the way they did. Bzzzzt. Pass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Jeff Ament's comment, if I remember actually went something like "Heavy music wasn't born in Seattle...it was born in Katy, TX"...
Back to top Go down
HamburgerBoy
Metal novice
Metal novice
HamburgerBoy

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 8:34 pm

The most grunge I've ever heard in King's X is in Complain, and that's only because the chorus borrows a vocal line from some Alice in Chains song.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 10:34 pm

I love King's X. I hate grunge. The two statements are NOT contradictory.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Journalists invented grunge. It's a term for an era of popular music, not a musical style.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Journalists invented grunge. It's a term for an era of popular music, not a musical style.

No more calls, please. We have our winner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I agree 100%.

Favorite post-Dogman album?

3 way tie:

Manic Moonlight (underrated as hell)
Ogre Tones
XV
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:33 pm

I will also say that King's X has a lot of music that is very much like the stuff we saw with the "grunge" movement. Yes, their melodies and such are not the same, but there's enough music there to warrant comparison.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:30 am

detuned wrote:

Aren't most of the King's X albums underrated?

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:39 am

ultmetal wrote:
detuned wrote:

Aren't most of the King's X albums underrated?

True, but that one seems to be underrated even by King's X fans.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:50 am

Eyesore wrote:

Thank you, Eyesore, I agree with this statement!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:54 am

Quote :
King's X are not grunge

Thank god cuz if that were the case id have some cds id have to burn, not to mention i thought i was gonna hurl
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 9:15 am

HamburgerBoy wrote:
The most grunge I've ever heard in King's X is in Complain, and that's only because the chorus borrows a vocal line from some Alice in Chains song.

King's X has never borrowed anything at all from AIC...AIC, however, has borrowed heavily from King's X...and they admit as much.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 2:32 pm

questions about King's X 11840
S wrote:
- King's X invented Grunge the way Black Sabbath invented Doom...by not being it but doing something at the time that nobody else was doing and inspiring other bands causing it to come about llater when other bands took elements of their sound and expanded on them...

- Soundgarden is not Grunge

- Best post-Dogman would be Ogre Tones, IMO

- they are still around and working on a new album, Ty just released a new solo album in March
Very well spoken!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: questions about King's X   questions about King's X Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

questions about King's X
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next